• Tweets

• firstly , they are not a Debt collector [never confuse the two - a DCA chasing consumer credit debt is totally powerless and have ZERO legal powers to do or take anything - they have no more legal powers than you or I do ] these will be bailiffs and do they have legal powers.   However, the good bit is that unlike what you might have seen on TV, for a council CTAX liability order [please confirm there is or NOT a CCJ registered check your creit file] there is NO right of forced entry. The bottom line is, bar all the arm waving, is, that if you simply totally ignore them, they will eventually go away.   Now what they can do is two fold on CTAX. basically add fees to a set limit.   the first is a notice of enforcement letter. this comes with a fee of £75 and gives you 7 days to set up some sort of payment plan.   the second is an actual visit, where by a further fee of £235, whereby the fees are now £310 , the maximum they can ever add to the CTAX bill. this is typically accompanied by a threat to removed goods, it's cleverly worded or 'explained' to make you 'think' they can waltz in any take anything they like. THEY CANNOT unless YOU let them in. which you don't, nor leave doors unlocked as they can then enter through what is caused 'peaceful entry'.   in real term, the seizure of goods is limited to cars YOU might own that are not behind locked gated.   so i'm not too sure what stage you are at  so please clarify. the names of the bailiff company. how much you now owe the county council the CTAX is owed too.   one last point. they don't keep coming around they don't keep ringing. neither of those gander them anymore money so they don't bother.   dx      
    • Hi Everybody I moved into my parents house quite recently. My mam is aged and extremely ill (it's just me and her living in the house) and I moved from the North to the South of England to take care of her.   Now I've got a CCJ against me for unpaid Council tax from when I was living in the North and a debt collector has just showed up at the door. Now I don't have the money to pay the entire amount straight away. But I'm willing to try and enter in some kind of payment plan and gradually pay down the debt. However my main concern is that they don't keep coming around and phoning the house threatening and harassing my mam over her sons debt.   However the guy at the door was threatening to seize goods and have them sold at public auction. Getting bailiffs to break in etc.   When I told him that I've nothing of any real value he said he could just take whatever was in the house. Something about if she couldn't prove whatever was hers then they could just take whatever (I'm not 100% this but I think something to this affect).   He left me a "Notification of Enforcement agent visit" sheet of paper.   From the first paragraph it says:   "As an enforcement agent I've attended your premises today with the intention of taking control of your goods in accordance with the taking control of goods (fees) regulations 2014. At this time your goods are bound. You cannot remove, sell or otherwise dispose of them"   Thus I'd appreciate any advice that readers my be able to offer. Does anyone know the law regarding "seizing assets" when the debtor is not the homeowner/tenant?   tia Bear
    • I should add I only got the CCA response last week after waiting nearly a month over the prescribed time limits to respond. PM
    • Thanks, I thought that might be the case.  J
    • claimform issuance stops the SB clock    dx  
  • Our picks

Michael Browne

Bank demands mum put BABY on phone to discuss account

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2235 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A stunned mum was ordered to put her six-month-old BABY on the phone to speak to a telephone banking operator.

Jenny Nicholls, 31, had called the Halifax to talk to customer services about an error on her baby son's savings account.

But the operator insisted he could only deal with the account holder – in this case, six-month-old Harry.

"We waited in the queue and entered all the account security information then the man came on the line and said 'Is that Mr Harry Nicholls?'," Jenny told the Mirror. "I said no. He asked if he could talk to Harry but I said he's a baby, he can't talk."

The staggered mum said she was then told that the matter could not be discussed with her - only with Harry.

"I said I'm his mum but he just said he was sorry but he couldn't talk to me over the phone, only to the account holder," Jenny said. "I said 'are you being serious?' I thought it was a joke at first and then he would notice it was a child's account, but he was being serious."

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2013/10/07/bank-demands-mum-put-baby-on-phone-to-discuss-halifax-account/

Had the same thing for someone who's husband was in hospital in a coma after a stroke. Ended up having to go through loops with hospital to get paperwork sorted so his wife had access to account that all DWP was being paid into.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

You couldn't make it up could you ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Typical Halifax all they seem to be good at doing is singing and looking silly making a bi X on their adverts

I had a similar experience when I asked Nationwide to set up a monthly direct debit to my RBS current account in order to transfer funds towards paying my on board account on a long cruise. Nationwide messed up the direct debit by paying me the wrong amount and my current account was left short. I rang up whist we were sailing the South Pacific to ask them to correct it only to be told I would need to call in a branch. I told them I was in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean and there were no branches to call into. The reply was you will still need to call in a branch.! Unbelievable. Fortunately I had l left sufficient funds in my account that the missing amount turned out to be unnecessary. No thanks to them.

Badger& Mole

It's another case of once they are asked a question not covered by their script then they just use the nearest answer even if it is a load of codswallop.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

All together now!!.... Get a little EXXXXXTRA help from the Halif*x:whoo:

Most children's accounts cannot be managed over the phone.

The advisor she spoke to has clearly never encountered such a situation before and took the security of the account seriously.

Had the same thing for someone who's husband was in hospital in a coma after a stroke. Ended up having to go through loops with hospital to get paperwork sorted so his wife had access to account that all DWP was being paid into.

dpick

I appreciate how stressful this situation can be at the time, but would you really expect them to just let, as far as they are concerned, anybody manage somebody elses bank account without a power of attorney or third party mandate in place.

I had a similar experience when I asked Nationwide to set up a monthly direct debit to my RBS current account in order to transfer funds towards paying my on board account on a long cruise. Nationwide messed up the direct debit by paying me the wrong amount and my current account was left short. I rang up whist we were sailing the South Pacific to ask them to correct it only to be told I would need to call in a branch. I told them I was in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean and there were no branches to call into. The reply was you will still need to call in a branch.! Unbelievable. Fortunately I had l left sufficient funds in my account that the missing amount turned out to be unnecessary. No thanks to them.

Badger& Mole

That isn't a similar situation, if you have a separate issue then why not create a new thread. Anyway, Banks can't setup direct debits for you.