Should i accept, £2000 offer (£3700)

syromaniac
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Great website with some really good advice. I am in the process of claiming back my bank charges, in total over 6 years i am claiming £3700 + interest which brings it up to £4300.

I have had a response from HSBC this morning offering me £2000

it states in the letter "HSBC is, however mindful of the managment time and irrecoverable legal costs that it may incur in realtion to such a claim, for those commercial reasons alomne, and without any admission of liability whatsoever, HSBC is prepared to make a payment to you in the sum of £2000.00 representing the charges applied in full and final settlement of this matter."

Should i accept?, or fight it all the way..

Thanks for your response, i have drafted this letter and will send this afternoon, wish me luck...

My Address

24th October 2006

HSBC Bank plc

###########

Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds, LS11 0PP.

Ref: ###########

Response to settlement offer.

Dear #######

Thank you for your letter dated 23/10/2006

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totaling £4,339.88 + any further charges I have incurred since the 25th September 2006.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

My letter before action sent previously indicates that you had 14 days to respond before Court action commences. You actually took 30 days to respond. I believe that the targets I set were more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments. I am now expecting a response within 7 days of this letter (31st October 2006) before court action commences.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

########

Why wait another 7 days? once you file the MCOL you will have another 28 days to wait (they will acknowlage the MCOL) until the MCOL dealine expires - It it totally normal not to hear anything from HSBS until day 26 or day 28.

Remember that you are sueing them and therefore you set the time table etc.

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007

Why wait another 7 days? once you file the MCOL you will have another 28 days to wait (they will acknowlage the MCOL) until the MCOL dealine expires - It it totally normal not to hear anything from HSBS until day 26 or day 28.

Remember that you are sueing them and therefore you set the time table etc.

So should i not bother sending the letter and just MCOL?

Got this response from hsbc this morning...

The bank does not agree with your contention that the charges that have been imposed consititute a penalty and are therefore unenforcable. the contract between the bank and its customers is governed by our personal banking terms and conditions. In respect of overdrafts, i would refer you specifically to clause 7.11 in section 2. If you authorise a payment that would, if met by us, lead your account going overdrawn or over an agreed limit by the bank considers whether or not to make this payment and a fee is payable for this service.

Our fees and charges are clearly stated in our published price list and the circumsatnces in which these charges will apply are cleaarly set out in out terms and conditions which you will have been provided with a copy when you opened your account.

whislt i accept that this letter will not provide the response that you hoped for, i trust i have been able to clarify the banks position, and must inform you that our previous offer of settlement with regard to this matter is now withdrawn. If you are not satisfied with the banks response you should refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman service, as this represent our final response on this matter.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Unfortunatly this ones still going on....

The Defendant has disputed the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.

There defence.

1. The claimant;s account is governed by the defendant's personal banking terms and conditions.

2. Pursuant to the defendants terms and conditions the defendant is entitled to make a charge for its services as set out in the defendants price list.

3. It is denied that the fees charged for the services provided to a penalty or liquidated damages clause. the fees are on an agreed price for a service provided by the defendant.

They have also sent me an allocation questionnaire form (N149)

What shall i do now?

No surprises that they are defending ... most do (until the last minute before they settle of course!)

You need to complete & return the AQ before the deadline printed on it otherwise it will be struck out (& you lose)

Here is a couple of links which may help you

... a guide to completion ...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/11644-allocation-questionnaires-guide-completion.html

and a new strategy for a draft order ...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires.html

The new strategy one is quite a read but it certainly heps you understand this part of the process - GaryH has posted an excellent explanation

Good luck! :)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

So is that a full settlement plus your costs then?? If so then well done - Just make sure the courts are aware as they will strike out your claim if u don't return your AQ on time & I would hate you to lose out on some little detail IYKWIM :)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

one little piece of advice - if the aq is due shortly - ring the court and explain that they have made an offer - you are accepting and are now just waiting for the money - ask that the aq deadline be delayed - they will do this - they may ask for it in writing. but you must contact them.

here's some more advice:When You Get Your Refund

Wait till you've actually got your hands on the money before you get a mod to change your title ... dont wanna put a dampner on it just the old saying about counting chickens .... :)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...