Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I had exactly the same issues.   Grossly over estimated bills from January onwards.  Despite what they claim, they are effectively taking an interest free loan from their customer base to keep the company in business.   They can dress it up how they like.  It’s irrelevant if they reconcile the bills the following month because they just over bill again thus keeping a rolling interest free loan.   it took two months of constant badgering to be finally moved to a fixed DD.   Once that was done I didn’t care how much they over-estimated by.   I had raised a query with the ombudsman over the billing fiasco and they readied a complaint should I wish to proceed.   I thought everything was sorted until May/June whereby I was allegedly more in debt then I was expecting to the tune of an extra months DD.   On querying it, it transpired that even though I was on a fixed monthly DD, because the bill was generated less than 5 days before the DD was due to be taken they didn’t take the DD.   They offered £5 compensation by way of apology but wanted to take two months DD in June.  I told them where to get off.   With appalling customer service,  bills that you need a Maths degree to follow, and I do have one and still struggled, inability to follow through on any agreements, constant gross over-estimation, the missed DD was the final straw and I proceeded with complaint to ombudsman.   Prior to getting to that stage I had to quote Symbio’s own complaints procedure to them to get any sort of response.   Their final offer to me was £25 goodwill and to waive an exit fee. The offer was derisory given the time it had taken to get things sorted and the continuing ineptitude.  Also, the whole thing has dragged on so long (5 months) I was already in the final 49 days of my contract and therefore there were no exit fees to pay and therefore nothing to waive.   Anyway, upshot is, ombudsman found in my favour.  Ordered an apology and a goodwill payment. Symbio appealed but were told the decision stood.   This week I received the goodwill payment.   I promptly left an honest and truthful review on trustpilot.   The next morning I received an email from Symbio with an apology.   This was followed an hour later with an email from trustpilot saying Symbio had replied to the review.  On reading the response they have accused me of not following procedure and of cyber bullying.   The company is a complete joke.
    • why not simply tell you supplier they have the wrong meter number you been paying for usage , and ofcourse you can view this online too so its not as if you'll owe anything you might get a nice surprise and find you are owed a refund.
    • The world of ballroom dancing went online to cope with the pandemic restrictions, but what does the future hold? View the full article
    • I would add, many companies have done everything possible to manage and carry on in difficult Covid19 circumstances to supply customers with what they need.   Continually making excuses for delays is not what I'd want from an installer and maybe the £100 deposit is not so important.   Get this deposit back if you can but, more importantly, find a local installer recommended by family or friends to carry out the works.
    • Hello all,   I hope you can assist me, as I am quite lost and confused at the moment.   Two years ago I moved to my actual flat. Throughout this time I have been with EDF first and now EON. When I moved in, my landlord didn't quite know which one was my meter and I picked the one that I believed was mine (now reading you I know I should have done a burner test..). During this time, I have been paying my bills and submitting the numbers that I believed mine, which actually agreed with my consuming patterns.   Today, all the meters appeared with numbers, but the one next to the one that I was using, which appeared with a different flat number. As you might have guessed, none of them had my flat number. I have just made the test and it looks like that one may be mine.   Now, how should I proceed? I have been paying bills is not like I wanted to avoid paying, but clearly there has been an issue. Could you please advice me on how to proceed?   Lastly, in terms of meter serial number, the one that I was using matches my bill and I guess my neighbor bill. The additional doubt I have is, who is paying for my meter and why are they still providing me with gas if no one is paying the one that seems to be my real meter.   Many thanks!    
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

RTA with a large commercial foreign lorry. How to Proceed?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2570 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I was recently involved in a road traffic accident and I’m not sure how to proceed.


I was in the middle lane approaching a roundabout and I was driving to go straight over.

There was a large commercial lorry from Germany to my left.

We were both going straight over (= the second exit), I was going to go onto the outer lane and he was going to go to the inner lane, well so I thought.

As we were exiting the roundabout he drove into the rear passenger side of my car, with the front passenger side of his car (bear in mind his car was a German left hand drive lorry).


He and his colleague got out of their lorry and I out of my car.

They both could not speak a word of English and I could not speak a word of German.

From their body language they both appeared very apologetic, and appeared to be apologizing.

They kept saying “police, police”, so I called the police.

However when I called them they said it was a minor accident and there was no need for them to come, and we should sort it out between ourselves, i.e., exchange information.


We exchanged information as best as we could, however they gave me a printed paper to fill in, which I could not understand as it was in German, I filled in my contact details where I thought appropriate, they asked me to sign at the bottom, but I refused to do this as I couldn’t understand any of it. I was not able to stop any car to be a witness to the incident.


I have a slight pain in my shoulder, but it does not feel like anything major.

I had my work laptop on the passenger seat, however in the accident it was knocked to the floor rest, there is a slight crack on the case and a blue screen, it does not appear to be working.


So I’m not sure how to proceed.

Shall I call my insurance company and explain to them what happened?

Or should I contact a solicitor first?

I don’t really want to be spending money on a solicitor if I don’t have to.


Is this something I could resolve on my own or with the help of my insurance company?

Or should I contact some sort of a no win no fee solicitor?


I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you.



Link to post
Share on other sites

COntact your insurers and let them deal with it. Thats what you pay them for after all.


I assume you caught the reg number of the vehicle and the company name/contact details?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..



If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

The form they asked you to complete was an European Accident report form, both drivers fill it out and each keep a copy for their Insurers, a much better system than ours

Link to post
Share on other sites

That helps, thank you.

It makes sense now.

I have taken a quick look on the net and found an English version of the form.

So we were supposed to come to an agreement and fill in the form together.

I will call my insurance company in the morning and see what they say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you have reported the crash/claim to your insurers, the MIB will act as the agent for the foreign vehicle and it will be processed in exactly the same way as it it were a UK insured vehicle.


Most people think that the MIB only deal with uninsured or untraced claims, but they are the appointed UK agent for overseas registered and insured vehicles, so don't worry too much, submit your claim to your insurers and let them do the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke to my insurance company today.

They said that I should have got the contact details of their insurance company.

I had was the registration of the lorry and a contact number for the driver but not their insurance details.

They said that I could claim on my own policy, but I explained to them why should I do that when they were in the wrong.

They said they will chase it up and get back to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical of our insurance industry, try and avoid working for their money. In Germany the registration plate is proof of insurance and if old or false plates are used then a government scheme pays out instead. Your insurer can contact their opposite numbers easily, if they drag their feet try contacting the police of the town or city the vehicle is registed in as they will have the details. your real problem is the language barrier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The lorry looked brand new to me. It had the branding of "DB Schenker". Looks like they are a logistics company.

Im thinking of contacting them directly and seeing what they say.

I found some information on doing a European insurance claim. I think it said the person who was responsible has 5 days to make a claim and the other person has 15 days. I dont want to wait around of my insurance company, as I am worried they may take too long.

So I was thinking of emailing DB Schenker directly.

What do you guys think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
The lorry looked brand new to me. It had the branding of "DB Schenker". Looks like they are a logistics company.

Im thinking of contacting them directly and seeing what they say.

I found some information on doing a European insurance claim. I think it said the person who was responsible has 5 days to make a claim and the other person has 15 days. I dont want to wait around of my insurance company, as I am worried they may take too long.

So I was thinking of emailing DB Schenker directly.

What do you guys think?


I recently had some dealings with this company and wrote to the chairman of the board in Germany and believe me, within 12 hours I had every man and his dog puckering up and had half hourly updates by phone from his UK staff as to what they were doing about it. DBS are keen to break into the UK Logistics market and this chairman seems very sensitive to complaints so suggest writing a nice e mail to him asking for the info required. I was very impressed how he reacted but it should not have happened in the first place and I have a serious amount of influence on an account his company might be chasing. It is worth a try though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...