Break at end

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It states in our Union agreement (contractual) that we are allowed a 30 minute break . (regardless if it is under 6 hours)

And this must not be taken at the end or beginning of the shift.

The management in our office are making people take there break at the end of the shift .

Therefore in our opinion we are getting no break at all because taking it at the end is just us leaving and going home they are basically paying us for the break but we don't actually get to have it , some people are complaining they are feeling dizzy and really hungry for a bite to eat as we work through lunch.

we have talked to management about it and they refuse to let us have it during the shift ( so they can leave earlier) it suites them but not us! Plus they go out for an hours lunch !

The cwu are not helpful so we are going down the law route and are filling in an et1 as a joint group thing.

Can we sue them? Will we get them in court for this

Edited by breacher

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi breacher

As its the early hours you may not get may responses till later so please be patient.

This is the previous link to your previous thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?404819-Dissmissal-breach-of-contract-FINAL-HEARING

as the information will be helpful for caggers to better advise you.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I thought an employer had to give you a 15-20 min break by law after a 4 hour period unless you were in a specific line of work?

Have you spoken to your union about this?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

renegade, 6 hours not 4

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/types-of-break

only certain union agreements are legally binding and not usually this kind of local agreement, there is specific wording they need to include. OP would need to show us the whole agreement.

OP is also not a union member so I doubt the union will be going to court on his behalf.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Was this an agreement between the staff , about having break at the end, I've been at a place that did this.

smokejumper, CWU have all kinds of national and local agreements some of which are over and above statutory requirements.

Only some are legally binding however.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

smokejumper no , and i had complained previously that i wanted a break not at the end but was refused and warned that i better not do it because that would mean i finish at a later time than everyone else and they want to get away .

Edited by breacher

Jeeze, so they are not letting you have a break so that they can leave 15 mins early.

Very selfish, I think I would be complaining if it was effecting me, probably just take my break when I wanted, but then I'm a trouble maker ;-)

Are they really in that much of a hurry to get home to the wife, that they can't wait 15 mins?

ok, I go along with what you say, but the union could put it right without all that bother and if it did have to go further they should meet the costs.

To go to a tribunal, I think you need to lodge a formal grievance first, have you done that.

1. breacher has already said he isnt a union member so why would they help him?

2. that looks like a proposal not a final agreement to me

3. I can't see where it states it is intended to be legally binding on both parties, which is what you need for breach

4. by naming the employer you've now brought them into disrepute. i'd stop posting if i were you, you're going to be pretty traceable.

1. I have contact with the union advising me regardless if i am a member or not .

2+3. The Way Forward is a Collective Agreement.Your contract of employment explicitly mentions the inclusion of collective agreements.This means that all valid collective agreements are express contractual terms.

Breaching those terms is a breach of contract.

4. lol what are the consequences?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks