bedofweeds

Are the council responsible??

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2112 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have no idea on this having been asked by a relative if I knew the answer.

Facts:

Uncle aged 69, Aunt 65.

Both not working and are claiming their SRP's plus Guaranteed Pension Credit. Their total income is about £222 a week. No savings whatsoever.

They own a 2 bed house valued (rightmove) £180,000.

They mortgaged their property for £80,000 (unbeknown to the family) 8 years ago to invest in a pension [problem]. They lost their money (it ended up in Nigeria we think) and the police have said that they have no chance of getting it back.

The mortgage was interest only and was due to be repaid last December. Obviously that was totally impossible given their limited income.

3 weeks ago the bank obtained a repossession order for the 11th October .

They have packed up but have nowhere to go. The council won't have anything to do with them as they say that they are the 'authors of their own misfortune'.

Are they right in saying that?

I thought that the council had to prove:

•you deliberately did (or didn't do) something

•that caused you to leave accommodation

•which you could otherwise have stayed in, and

•it would have been reasonable for you to stay there.

Any suggestions most welcome

Thanks

Harsh as it seems the Local Authority have a point here.

Nobody forced your Aunt and Uncle to re-mortgage. They did it of their own free will. The fact they may have been caught up in a [problem] is the fault of nobody but themselves.

They did do something which ultimately lead to the loss of their home. (They borrowed money against their home and invested it and subsequently lost it). Now they are expecting the Local Authority to step in and sort things.

Demand for local authority housing far exceeds supply and local authorities take a much harder line in following legislation in order to manage this demand than than they did previously.

I suggest they approach housing associations and ask the Local Authority for "advice and assistance" in doing so.