What do you pay for food weekly?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm watching an old episode of Superscrimpers, and a family are having an 'intervention' and challenge due to their excessive food bill.

A couple with 3 children, they spend £382 a week in total on food - £240 a week in supermarkets, and the rest on takeouts and a meal out every week.

I was stunned as I had been thinking our food bill was big - I have to eat very cleanly (of a limited diet), so we cook from scratch every day, and I have to eat plenty of quality meat, - as a couple our spend is between £80 to £100 a week (no takeouts, been a long while since we had a meal out), which I thought was a lot.

What do you think? What's your family size and what do you spend on food weekly?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

just us 2 and we spend between £30 and £50 a week on shopping

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

8 of us most weeks ( depends if the boys gf's stop over) and I think we live well on about 1200 - 1300 a month. However; we do benefit from bulk buying even the shortest of shelf life produce with little or no waste with so many mouths to feed.

As I thought, needing to buy all fresh food and a fresh meat heavy diet has made our food bill higher than the norm.

But god knows what the family spending £240 a week at the supermarket were buying.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Go to aldi and grow your own veg.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

For me, the wife, one daughter plus one cat and dog is £75 per week, I make my own bread, jam, pickles etc.

Try aldi, you could drop that right down. My mum pays around £90 a MONTH excluding milk etc for herself, my brother and sister. Brother is 24, sis is 22. And my brother and sister dont exactly have small appetites. SHe was spending upwards of 150-200 a month in asda before she switched shops. Now she wont shop anywhere else.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

hmm i thought ours was a lot

we put about £110 - £130 a week thats for us 2 + 3 kids, maybe £30 once every other week for a meal out or takeaway

as for trollys full of booze we brew our own much much cheaper about £30 for 30 bottles

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Live on my own except for the weekend when the better half lives here.

£15 -20 a week tops.

Lidl.

Aldi.

Iceland.

Market.

Buy things like bacon sausage chicken etc in bulk and freeze.

Did a casserole Sunday for four. Tea last night then her work dinner, y tea when I got in.

Costs about £4 a time.

I hate lidl, cheap and nasty stuff.

I do a bulk buy once a month and spend about £100 for 2 of us, plus an extra 2 when my son and his GF drop in, then about £20 a week for fresh fruit and veg, so thats £45 a week aprox for the 2 of us and that includes extras for my daughters lunch that she takes to work!

Honest answer is, you get what you pay for. Quality at the likes of lidl, Aldi, Iceland and Asda is IMO poorer than say sainsbury or M&S. I personally saw a marked decrease in Asda own label quality after they were bought by Walmart

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Actually Aldi's quality rivals that of the big 4 now.

I beg to differ. Don't get me wrong, I use them because they are cheap but the fruit n veg and chilled is no where near as good. Not sure if you have noticed but in fruit n veg there is no use by date so they rotate on appearance etc. They do have some products that are exceptional value

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I agree with fruit and veg, but then again i have the luxury of a dedicated greengrocers in the village near me. Way cheaper and the veg is much tastier from them.