• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

statute barred? Debt company demanding payment in full! scared and need advice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, was wondering if anyone could give some advice on what to do.

Years ago I opened up a student account with bank of scotland and had an overdraft, i went over my overdraft limit by literally a few pence and got bank charges, which made me even more over my overdraft limit. To cut a long story short, it kept spiralling so i opened an account with a different bank and as i was young naive and stupid stuck my head in the sand with bank of scotland account and ignored it.

I have never got in touch with bank of scotland over the years about this debt and have made no payments, I can't be sure of exactly how long ago it was as I don't have any documents with dates on it but im sure it was over 5 years ago. So i've heard absolutley nothing from bank of scotland and a couple of weeks ago I got a letter from TBI financial saying they have bought over the debt from IND limited in august 2012, never heard from IND either.

The letter said i had to pay and they included a sheet that asked EVERYTHING...who i worked for, date i got paid every month, incomings, outgoings etc (do they have a legal right to know this information?) I went to citizens advice beaura and they said that it seems like my debt is statute barred (if it has been 5 years) and they think they are chancing it, so I ignored the letter and fast forward a couple of weeks this morning I got another letter from TBI saying I am in breach of the provision in the credit agreement and I have to pay £3085.50 by 22.10.13, there is no way i can conjur up that money in a couple of weeks!!!

They then said that if i dont pay the credit agreement will terminate on 22 October and they will issue county court proceedings for the recovery.

I'm really scared and don't know what to do next!!

Would be so greatful for any advice,

Thanks.

Edited by citizenB

They have no legal right to ask for anything.

Please don't be afraid of them. They like to make you believe that mounted police will come charging down your road and arrest you.

Send the letter above as advised, I would send it recorded if I was you.

also, do you know if a bedt collection agency has a legal right for you to tell them your incomeings/outgoings etc?

As conniff says, you are under no obligation to supply that information.

Hi

What credit agreement. This was an overdraft.

Most DCAs threaten all sorts but don't follow through that often but never say never. Most DCA letters say 'May', 'Might', 'If'. very few say anything different.

They are not entitled to an I&E statement from you.

I am assuming that as you mention 5 years, you are in Scotland and as such if you haven't paid nor acknowledged this debt in writing then this debt is most definitely extinguished

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

yeah this credit agreement they mentioned confused me, saying i had failed to make payments as I know i haven't agreed to anything like that. I was 19/20 first time dealing with living away from home, managing finances etc and was stupid and clueless, I would never allow myself to get in a situation like that now.

The first part of the letter states

"you, the customer, are in breach of the provision in the credit agreement which specifies that you will make monthly payments on the dates prescribed in the credit agreement. You have failed to make payments as specified under the credit agreement and are required to take the following action to remedy the breach:-

Pay the total outstanding balance of £3085.50 before the 22.10.13

they then go on to say if i don't they will issue county court proceedings for the recovery of the whole balance? DOes this mean they will take me to court? and this credit agreement is confusing me.

Yeah conniff i agree, they do make you feel like with their scary letters.

I've signed up with experian, waiting on a pin being sent out in the post, then need to enter that on experian then I'll be able to see my full credit report. Only ever received 2 letters from TBI financial and both of them just refer to bank of scotland

ok so i've had a look at my credit report on noddle and it is showing defaults from September 20122 to October 2013 for IND limited (who TBI said they bought the debt from in August 2012), there is no mention of TBI on there. ALso one of the security questions when i was setting up my account said " you oppened up a current account in July 2008, who was it with" and this was with the bank i opened an account with after leaving bank of scotland, so this is over 5 years, just.

I will do, thank yous for all your help! Just one last thing, is the debt still seen to be statute barred if they have written out to me? I have moved several times over the years and this is more than likely why I have not received these lettere that they say have been sent out by IND.

Hi, yeah I live inscotland.

So this debt is not just statute barred it is totally extinguished, the letter ims suggested is the way to go.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Just a word of caution, the statute bar commencement date on an overdraft would run from the time the creditor was entitled to recover the full amount owed under the agreement. This would be when the overdraft was called in. This may be some time after your last payment on the account, after this the start date can be reset by any acknowledgement or payment on the account.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, ok so I posted off the statute barred letter and I received a reply the other day, they sent me bank statements from January 2006 up to when the account must have been closed in September 2011. It clearly shows on the statements the last ever transaction on that account mas made for £2.72 on 8 July 2008. The had written a letter along with the statements they provided and said " As requested, please find enclosed a statement of your account detailing your transactions and you will note from the information provided that this accounst is not in fact statute barred as you have implied".

I was under the impression that they would have had to provide information on me acknowledging the debt within the last 5 years. Even thought it shows that the account was closed in september 2011 this wasnt by me asking for it to be closed as I have not been in contact with bank of scotland at all. What do I do next? Would really appreciate some advice!