ccx295

Possible problems with a second hand car dealer - HELP

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2221 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,I am just looking for some advice. I have recently bought a car from a 2nd hand car dealer\trader (Run from a home)As soon as I started driving the car after I bought the car I noticed a problem with it (noise coming from the engine bay)I took it to my local garage and who pointed out the noise was coming from the exhaust and that I should take it back to the dealer.I called the dealer to explain the situation and he mentioned to just run it for a bit and hopefully the noise should go away. The next day I took it to another garage and again they said take it back to the dealer. Again I called the dealer he answered and ask me to bring it back in.So I had the car for a total of 3 full days before returning it.I explained to the dealer that I wanted a full refund and he said "no" but that he would repair it and that he has the right to repair it before a refund. I said fair enough as I do like and want the car.I spoke to the dealer\trader a few days later who told me that they have found the problem and that they have ordered a new part and that it will be done by this Wednesday just gone.Well now its Friday and it is still looking like it will not be ready. (I think his friend who owns a garage is repairing it in his spare time!)How long can this go on for before I can ask for a refund? also I am not 100% convinced that this will actually fix the problem (I have my fingers crossed though)I go on holiday very soon too which means I will have to leave the car with them even if it is repaired.Thanksccx

I think you may just have to wait;

As it does not seem a serious problem then they should be allowed to fix it.

Having said that it would be reasonable for them to let you have loan car or pay for hire car while being fixed, if it taking more than a just a few days.

Yeah and to be fair they did offer me one which I declined at the time thinking it will be sorted fairly quickly.Ok thats fine I just want my car back fully working now.... :(

Thanks for replying.

Depends on the fault really. If it's a minor defect then you will not have the right to reject (SOGA says goods should be of satisfactory quality and be free from minor defects), but you can reject for more serious faults. You don't have to give them the opportunity to fix it first because the primary remedy under SOGA is to reject. There are two parallel sets of remedies (1) to reject and claim damages and (2) to allow repair, replacement partial refund, refund. And it's up to you which route you wish to take.