• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HMRC CCJ for a debt which does not exist and lost job

mikkid82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Bit of a long one but I will keep it as brief as possible.

I recently started employment within the financial services industry.

Their policy is to check new employees for CCJs.

Turns out that I had one dated Feb 2008 from HMRC (tax debt) to the value of £5648.

Because of this, my offer of employment was withdrawn three days after my official start date - 19th August.

I contacted HMRC regarding this CCJ as I had no knowledge of it.

While speaking to someone, he instantly told me this CCJ is incorrect due to a mistake on their part and

in 2012 they deleted the debt and amended my tax records.

He then said, that this CCJ should have been removed from my name as it was issued in error.

He forwarded me to their debt management department, and

they said they had no record of the 'debt' being deleted at the time

but see new amendments on my tax history as of today.

When asked about removing the CCJ their response was "I don't know".

The first person I spoke to at HMRC is going to send me a statement detailing my tax records

and that I have NO DEBT with HMRC and also a separate letter explaining the situation of what happened in regard to the CCJ.

I had contacted Experian as well as Trust Online regarding this matter.

After research I appears that I had to contact the courts that issued the CCJ with a N244 form and pay £80.00 to have this removed.

Then after sending HMRC a letter of complaint, they replied after a long time,

saying their records were incomplete but in November 2011 they updated their records (after contact with myself) and removed the debt.

At that time they did not mention the CCJ.

As I have said I had no idea about the CCJ.

Why should I check my credit file when I know I have no debts?

I have a CCJ set aside hearing on the 21st of this month.

Surely if HMRC removed the debt in 2011 due to records being incomplete

then should they have done something about the mysterious CCJ? Or even told me?

They issued it to wrong address yet used the excuse "I was not in", yet people are easy to trace, PAYE records is a good place to start.

Also I had claimed JSA and working tax credits before, during and after the whole CCJ process,

so they knew EXACTLY where I lived at the time.

Also, I have lost my job over this.

I do not appreciate losing a 40k a year job (including benefits) through someone else's inability to keep records correct.

Especially considering I have HMRC correspondence dating to the time with my correct address on it for unrelated matters.

Since my name has been brought into disrepute, does this not form libel?

If so, I want the salary that I have lost plus extra.

I dont suffer fools lightly, especially when their mistake cost me.

What do you all think?

Edited by citizenB

I can totally understand your anger and frustration.

However you won't get compensation from HMRC.

Would the prospective employer respond now to the information that this was an incorrect debt?

Even if they have filled the post, they may well have another post come up and offer you that?

I highly recommend everyone checks their credit file monthly even if they believe they have a squeeky clean file,

it's not unusual for mistakes to appear on them (I have one on mine I am trying to deal with atm).

You can check your credit file for free on noddle.co.uk

You need this information from HMRC in writing - I would suggest you make a formal complaint to them.

I will also send S.O.S to the rest of the site team.

Have you checked to see if this CCJ is recorded on trustonline ? You need this removed and IMHO it should be HMRC that deals with this.

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

I have all of this in writing and statement showing that all this debt was removed from my tax records.

I have checked with trust online and the CCJ is recorded.

I wrote a letter of complaint to HMRC and they replied saying they will pay me the £80.00 to have the CCJ set aside.

My main issue is the fact I have lost my job over this.

I have spoken to the employer continuously throughout all of this,

they have said they have a vacancy and they need to fill it.

Perfectly reasonable in my opinion - they are in business to be in business.

Surely since I have lost my job due to HMRC, does this not form some sort of libel case?

They removed the debt in November 2011, but did nothing about the CCJ for a debt which no longer existed

and shouldn't have existed in the first place.

pers I think you have a VERY good case for compensation out of them.

inc the damage this has caused your reputation.

its not something I am familiar with

but I do know a relative that succeeded in this some years back.

sorry I cant help further

good luck

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for reply.

I keep thinking to myself that I have a good case, but how do I go about it?

I can't afford a solicitor and after checking the criteria for legal aid, it seems my case doesn't qualify.

So how about the small claims route?

According to justice.gov I can get the fees removed as I am on Income Based Job Seekers.

Not sure if this is the correct way about it.

I went to see the CAB about this a couple weeks ago and they said first thing I have to do was get the CCJ removed and then look into it.

Then ushered me out of the door!!!!

I already knew that I had to get the CCJ removed,

I just wanted to know if I had a case against HMRC but they wouldnt hear me out lol

Hello there.

I don't know if you have a case against HMRC for your consequential losses, but hopefully someone will be along who does.

In terms of a possible libel case, you wouldn't receive legal aid. The figure commonly quoted here for bringing a case is £10k, in case that helps you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have just concluded a complaint against HMRC.

Without going into the ins and outs it has taken me over 3 years to receive a letter which said that they 'fully accept responsibility for everything that has happened, they were extremely sorry and apologised'

In total they compensated me with just under £1500.

What I will say is that the intervening letters started off saying that it was my fault, then a bit of both of us, then theirs but I contributed to it, then it was a computer failure, and finally theirs entirely'

If you are intent on fighting and suing HMRC be prepared for a long and difficult time. In my case I probably spent 1,000's of hours on it over the 3 years, most of it researching and reading case law

Hi, sorry to hear it took 3 years!

I once sued an old employer for an injury.

They faked a maintenance certificate on a piece of machinery. It failed and I got serious head injuries.

Whole process took nearly four years!!

Thing is I have a letter from HMRC saying they removed the debt in Nov '11,

and the letter explains the error as to why it was issued in the first place.

But surely its the creditor/institutions responsibility to apply for a CCJ

if they believe a debtor owes them money, then should they not also be responsible for maintaining that CCJ in light of future events?

What I mean is, lets say I had a legitimate debt, didnt pay and got a CCJ.

Once that CCJ is payed off, then the creditor informs the CCJ people (am I correct on this?)

If this is the case, then someone that applies to issue a CCJ should therefore be responsible for amending CCJ records

if say the debt wasn't legitimate?

I seriously want someone head to roll because of this.

I think this is on the wrong forum, as it is not a benefits query - it may get more help on a different forum as the main issue appears to be redress when a CCJ has been wrongly registered, causing harm to the OP.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I think you are probably correct, estellyn - I will move it to General Legal Issues. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry its on wrong forum! first time on here!!

No worries, you are now in General Legal so all is well with the world :)

BCOBS

Hi,

In relation to your lost job, what have you been doing since? Have you been unable to find a similar paid job?

No luck at all with a similar job/pay.

No one will entertain me due to the CCJ. 99% of employers in financial services will not employ someone with a CCJ,

bankruptcy or others because its deemed unethical for someone with poor credit to be advising the public about credit.

I have been applying for other jobs - bills need to be paid after all - so far no luck

Edited by mikkid82

Hi folks, just an up date.

I received a letter this morning from HMRC saying they are not going to oppose me at my CCJ set-aside hearing on the 21st.

It also states that the CCJ was issued because their records were showing I was self employed

and in 2012 they amended my tax records and removed the debt, so the CCJ is no longer valid.

I also have an appointment with lawyers because I lost my job over this matter.

Seriously though guys,

check your credit files and your name with Trust Online.

I am not the first this has happened to, and I am sure I will not be the last.

Will keep you all updated.

Edited by honeybee13
Removing law firm name.