• Tweets

• Fine. Have a quick think and decide whether you want to bring a small claim. If you do then it is worth spending a little bit of time looking through this forum and discovering the steps of how to bring a small claim in the County Court. You would have to start with a letter of claim which would give them 14 days to provide you with your refund or else you will start a small claim against them and without any further notice. Day 15 you issue the papers. Don't make the threat unless you are prepared to go ahead and carry it out. As I've already said, bringing a small claim is extremely easy and on the basis of what you say, your chances of success are much better than 95% – and in my view Halfords will put their hands up unless they really want to waste their money and their time. Does Halfords really want to spend their time and money losing a case in which they will have to draft the defence document, respond to various papers from the court, put you to the trouble of paying the hearing fee, instructing lawyers to go and attend at your local court which I believe is in the North west of England, losing their case, having to pay your £40 plus interest plus your court fee plus the hearing fee – and then suffer the indignity of having their name plastered even further all over this forum and over Twitter and Facebook and trust pilot. If this is what they want then they really don't value their reputation very highly.   I have sent the following response to Halfords  
    • The Highway Code says you must not enter unless your exit is clear*. The law doesn’t say the same, the offence is stopping on the box junction* It is possible to enter while your exit is clear, and then another car block you, you stop on the junction, and commit the offence* even though you complied with the Highway Code**   (or, even, breach the Highway Code by entering when your exit isn’t clear, but not commit the offence as long as you don’t actually stop, and your exit becomes clear in time!)     * = absent the defence of you wanting to turn right and the only thing preventing you doing so being oncoming traffic (/ other vehicles turning right)   ** = in which case you appeal, not on grounds of the contravention not occurring, as it did, but on the grounds that given you had made all efforts to comply, and another driver’s bad driving caused you to have to stop so as not to cause an accident, it isn’t in the public interest to pursue it.
    • read the guide CCA goes to the claimant   dx  
    • Hi, yes that is what has happened. The technician originally said that the tyres were for BMW, it came to light in the PayPal disputes I’ve had with them that it’s not only for BMW but certainly not for my car. It seems like everyone I speak to has a different sort of opinion on what the tyres are for. We looked for a branded tyre within a good price range and chose that tyre assuming any tyre on the list would have fit our car.. I shall do that yes I would like the call recording as I am actually quite upset how the lady spoke to us about it when we contacted customer services anyway. Thanks for helping. 
    • By the way, please will you send a subject access request to Halfords and make sure you asked them for call recordings as well as any of the details that you input in respect to your tyre order and any other personal data which they hold on you in any form. Get this letter off to them by email tomorrow and confirm in writing.   I suggest that you send the letter for the attention of Andrea Botha | Executive Contact Manager who will be aware of this situation.   https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andrea-botha-96b565143   I've written to her again and suggested that maybe she doublecheck the situation because of my understanding what you say is correct, then I think that she must badly have misunderstood the circumstances of this. Once again, I understand that you input the details of a Kia and Halfords recommended tyres fit for a BMW. They only informed you of this error after the tyre fitting had been booked. Your initial contact with Halfords after this resulted in a promise to reimburse you and it was only a subsequent contact with another customer services person that they renege on the promise. Is that correct?
  • Our picks

UNRAM

What is the legal status of a mortgage deed if the mortgage agreement is deemed void?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1947 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

To answer your questions:

1. no further advance.(01.05.2007)

2. Title register entry: The proprietor of the Charge dated 20 March 2007 referred to above is under an obligation to make further advances. These advances will have priority to the extent afforded by section 49(3) Land Registration Act 2002.

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that the deed you kindly sent me is a bilateral document. Why would Northern Rock have omitted this?

To answer your questions:

1. no further advance.(01.05.2007)

2. Title register entry: The proprietor of the Charge dated 20 March 2007 referred to above is under an obligation to make further advances. These advances will have priority to the extent afforded by section 49(3) Land Registration Act 2002.

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that the deed you kindly sent me is a bilateral document. Why would Northern Rock have omitted this?

Just so there is no misunderstanding by readers, I have not sent UNRAM anything, I have posted a deed on the forum.

If you have not had a further advance, this might be a mute point.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

The problem you have is that the mortgage deed has been checked and approved by the Land Registry

Practice Guide 30 (7) states what a mortgage deed must contain to be approved by HMLR

All that has occurred is that a notice has been entered onto your Title Deeds that the lender is obligated to provide a further advance, If you were to convince the Property Chamber this is a mistake, the outcome would be the removal of this notice from your title deeds.

I doubt very much that it would render the deed void.

As you don't have a further advance, it isn't all that important.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

The other issue here, and the main topic of this thread, relates to the unsigned mortgage offer. This is indicated by case law to be a "contract for the future disposition". The more I consider it the more I am convinced that Northern Rock should have signed it for it to be compliant with LPMPA1989 section 2. My question is: what affect does this have on the rest of the conveyance if there are no contractual obligations to fulfill. i.e. no loan amount agreed under contract, no repayments agreed under contract, no deed terms and conditions (as sub-terms) agreed under contract. I hope my question is clear: how can a judge enforce an amount for payment if there are no contractual duties?

LPMPA1989 (2)(3) The document incorporating the terms or, where contracts are exchanged, one of the documents incorporating them (but not necessarily the same one) must be signed by or on behalf of each party to the contract.

In the event that there is a unilateral deed but no mortgage contract (i.e. only an agreement not meeting the requirements of law but clearly intended to act as a contractual document) creating a binding duty to repay the loan, how can anyone make a decision as to how much is to be repaid. I think any complete answer would need to take into account the the repeal of LPA1925 section 40...

Edited by UNRAM

The problem you have is that the mortgage deed has been checked and approved by the Land Registry

Practice Guide 30 (7) states what a mortgage deed must contain to be approved by HMLR. All that has occurred is that a notice has been entered onto your Title Deeds that the lender is obligated to provide a further advance, If you were to convince the Property Chamber this is a mistake, the outcome would be the removal of this notice from your title deeds. I doubt very much that it would render the deed void. As you don't have a further advance, it isn't all that important.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. One last point however is that the lender hasn't assented to it's obligation. As stated Northern Rock didn't complete a CH2. In that instance how could they remove something that is essentially a promise. Wouldn't removal be to the borrowers detriment? After all they thought they had been promised an advance...

Practice Guide 30 (7) states what a mortgage deed must contain to be approved by HMLR

All that has occurred is that a notice has been entered onto your Title Deeds that the lender is obligated to provide a further advance, If you were to convince the Property Chamber this is a mistake, the outcome would be the removal of this notice from your title deeds.

I doubt very much that it would render the deed void.

As you don't have a further advance, it isn't all that important.

I also feel that estoppel would prevent the grantor from claiming that they did not grant the charge as security for a loan.

Something that has been mentioned recently about a deed is equity. If it does not operate at law, it can still operate in equity.

That should not overlooked or dismissed as easily or as quickly as it has been.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

We are in exactly this position with NRAM.

We unsuccessfully tried to fend off a possession order last week using s.2 against the fact the mortgage offer was not signed at all, by anyone.

In our case, unusally, we had lost our original offer and asked NRAM to send us a copy. The copy they sent was different from the original. We claimed, as it was not signed, how could they prove it was the same document we had agreed to when we signed the deed? They had just produced (and sworn to) a document in court which we knew was fraudulent.

The judge seemed interested in this and allowed the "money claim" part to go to trial but allowed the possession order. He refused permission to appeal on the grounds of s.2 and ordered us to amend our defence to the money claim by omitting any reference to the s.2 argument.

He stated in the judgement that s2 does not apply to legal mortgages, only equitable.

While this argument has been successful to date with lenders because legal mortgages are designed to create an instant disposition with incorporated conditions and not a disposition in the future, it does not take into account the registration gap argument. ( Helden v Strathmore may yet prove to be per incurium).

Our concern at the moment however is to deal with what the judge has done here. He appears to have allowed the idea that the offer is not the genuine one a reasonable chance of success. (In actual fact he said it had every liklihood of succeeding but NRAM's barrister made him retract that as being potentially prejudicial).

Yet he has allowed the repossession order, brought on the basis of alleged arrears as defined by the very document he is allowing us to challenge at trial.

Our situation seems to have focussed the questions in this thread. How can he determine a possession for arrears and yet allow a challenge to those arrears to go ahead.

How can he say, as he did, well you obviously owe something so I'll allow the possession order and you can sort out how much later on at trial?

We are going to seek leave to appeal but would welcome any help on how to frame this. Time is tight.

Edited by honeybee13
Spacing.

This is very interesting. The offer document that you talk about, which you state may be fraudulent. Are you saying that you lost the original offer document and then they have produced a copy of a document which is now signed by you? And your lender? Or both?

Like you say, how can the judge allow a possession order to go ahead on the basis of terms and conditions of the very document you are disputing?

When did you take the mortgage out?

How many months arrears?

When did Nram begin these legal repossession proceedings?

Have you considered challenging the actual mortgage deed?

Hi Timetogoram. Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. Our lender (NR) has secured a possession order with a signed (by us, not them) deed and nothing else. Neither the mortgage offer, nor the conditions nor any other document in existence has been signed either by us or them. We took the mortgage out in 2007. We were sent an offer of loan and having agreed the terms within were told just to sign the deed.

At the first possession hearing they turned up with the deed and 2 sets of conditions which we had never seen before but not the offer with the terms in it. The DJ set a PTR to allowed us time to file a proper response, which we did, explaining how they had not produced any document signed by us which stated the terms of the mortgage. Seeing as how they were claiming possession based on alleged arrears we thought it would be necessary for them to at least produce a document showing what the arrears actually were.

At the PTR they then turned up with an offer of loan (unsigned by anyone) containing terms different from those in the original (the missing, true offer). We protested and the DJ (a different one) believed us enough to allow that part to go to trial. But he then gave them the possession order based on the document he had just allowed to be challenged at a future trial.

We have since applied to void the order because it was prejudicial, being based on the outcome of a future trial. That was refused. We appealed to the CJ using s.2, the registration gap, Helden (working for us in this case) and he has dismissed our appeal as wholly without merit. Again he said "section 2 does not apply to legal mortgages".

We now have one final shot at it at an oral hearing in 2 weeks and then all doors are closed. We are putting it all in an application to the Property Chamber in the hopes they can do something but these lower court judges are something else. They will not listen to s2 however logically you apply it (and I totally agree with you that logically s2 has to apply to the t's and c's at the very least). I can logically make it apply to the deed too using the registration gap but fat chance with that in court.

The terms in this bogus offer they have sworn into evidence don't even match the payments we were making for over 6 years! They still got the possession order and the appeal was thrown out.

Such incredible, nonsensical and unintelligent abuse of judicial power has left us reeling. There is nothing left we can do.

Except lend our experience to help anyone else in the same situation, which we are happy to do if it can be of any use.

Jo

Hi Timetogoram. Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. Our lender (NR) has secured a possession order with a signed (by us, not them) deed and nothing else. Neither the mortgage offer, nor the conditions nor any other document in existence has been signed either by us or them. We took the mortgage out in 2007. We were sent an offer of loan and having agreed the terms within were told just to sign the deed.

At the first possession hearing they turned up with the deed and 2 sets of conditions which we had never seen before but not the offer with the terms in it. The DJ set a PTR to allowed us time to file a proper response, which we did, explaining how they had not produced any document signed by us which stated the terms of the mortgage. Seeing as how they were claiming possession based on alleged arrears we thought it would be necessary for them to at least produce a document showing what the arrears actually were.

At the PTR they then turned up with an offer of loan (unsigned by anyone) containing terms different from those in the original (the missing, true offer). We protested and the DJ (a different one) believed us enough to allow that part to go to trial. But he then gave them the possession order based on the document he had just allowed to be challenged at a future trial.

We have since applied to void the order because it was prejudicial, being based on the outcome of a future trial. That was refused. We appealed to the CJ using s.2, the registration gap, Helden (working for us in this case) and he has dismissed our appeal as wholly without merit. Again he said "section 2 does not apply to legal mortgages".

We now have one final shot at it at an oral hearing in 2 weeks and then all doors are closed. We are putting it all in an application to the Property Chamber in the hopes they can do something but these lower court judges are something else. They will not listen to s2 however logically you apply it (and I totally agree with you that logically s2 has to apply to the t's and c's at the very least). I can logically make it apply to the deed too using the registration gap but fat chance with that in court.

The terms in this bogus offer they have sworn into evidence don't even match the payments we were making for over 6 years! They still got the possession order and the appeal was thrown out.

Such incredible, nonsensical and unintelligent abuse of judicial power has left us reeling. There is nothing left we can do.

Except lend our experience to help anyone else in the same situation, which we are happy to do if it can be of any use.

Jo

Hi mate did you get your application into the property chamber? Sounds like a real battle on your hands.

I'm not sure what your question is, but in the absence of the OP updating his thread maybe the judgment in this link will answer it.http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?391318-Repossession-questioned-by-deeds-not-being-signed&p=4482843&viewfull=1#post4482843

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The answer is that the mortgage would be perfectly valid.

Read Caro's post above mine.

Hi, you've had a response on the previous page (posts 37 & 38)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

never mind

OK

Thread closed

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1947 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you