• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hello from Ireland, Student Loan Dilema & Link Financial have lead me here.

WarrenBuffet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Update:

On 19th Dec 2013, i sent a complaint letter that was signed for on 23rd Dec ...happy Christmas link! ;)

1.) I stated that link had failed to provide a signed contract between myself and them. ( I know that this is a waste of time as the CCJ has replaced any pre existing contract, but thought id send them the curve ball anyway to see if they understood the situation?)

2.) Complaint as regards CCJ reference as it had been rejected by CCBC.

3.) Complaint as regards contributions made as this represented a 'Misappropriation of payments'. Further, why had they being charging interest and continue to do so when they cannot provide the CCJ and the original contract states that interest is chargeable only when income threshold is reached.

On the 28th Dec i received a letter confirming receipt of complaint letter and then today 21st Jan 2014 i receive a letter entitled 'Holding Letter' stating 'At this time we are unable to resolve your complaint - as investigation is on going'

The problem for link is that tomorrow 22nd Jan is the due date for 30 day response, so any advice on what i should do next?

I think you know the answer Warren

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

And the same to you and yours Warren.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

After the 'Holding Letter' asking for more time yesterday, this morning i received a 'Final Response' as below

' Dear Mr Buffet,

Thank you for your recent complaint.

Having investigated fully the contents of your complaint we see that we have not breached any of the guidelines that govern our organisation and its business practices and as such will not be taking any further action. A copy of our Complaints Review and conclusion form has been enclosed for your records.

If you are dissatisfied by our response you can contact the Credit Services Association, 2 Esh Plaza Sir Bobby Reason Way, Newcastle , or within 6 months of the date of this letter The Financial Ombudsman Service.

If we have not heard from you within 8 weeks, we will close our file accordingly.'

I will outline the complaints Review in next post but, do i just go ahead and send the 'I do not recognise this debt' letter?

This is their respone verbatim...

' A summons was issued against you under claim no XT999999 on 14th Jan 2002.

Summons was issued by the Northampton County Court Bulk Processing Centre and the same was issued online.

We do not hold a paper copy of the judgement as the same would have been provided electronically.

Due to the age of the judgement the court may have achieved their records.

We have previously advised you that once your judgement balance of £4404.28

has been repaid in full we will arrange to close the account and mark as settled.

We confirm that interest on the account is charged on the account in accordance with the Credit agreement.

Interest is payable on the account continues to be applied to the account during any deferral period.

Under part 3 of the T&C's of the agreement Interest is payable both pre and post judgement.

We are unable to suspend interest on the account as your loan was granted under a Gov backed scheme.

The rate of interest is based upon the RPI and set annually.

Thesis Servicing is a trading style of Link that is used for servicing Student Loan accounts.

The SLC wrote to all customers at the address held on record whose servicing was to be transfered to Thesis Servicing in Aug 2008.

Payments have been made on the account from 05.06.2006 until the current date

and it is therefore nonsenensical that you would now dispute our handling the account.

We have not taken nor threatened to take enforcement action on the account

and will continue to accept monthly payments on the account dependant on affordability.

We have received no payments on the account since 1st Oct 2013

save for a £1 payment made pursuant to your Section 77/78 request.

We have sent you a Personal Budget Plan under seperate cover for you to complete

and return to our offices for a payment plan to be negotiated.

We do not believe we have breached the guidelines that govern our Organisation

and will therefore be taking no further action in relation to your complaint.'

**My blood is boiling with these people now and as Andy hinted earlier

they are not aware that the original agreement is null and void

and their failure to provide CCJ reference means that they don't know the judgement amount

and what debt it is that they are attempting to collect.

Edited by WarrenBuffet

i'll pop in later

my quick thoughts...

no PROOF of a CCJ was even ..GOT or Enforced

AFAIK theres no clause in pre 98 agreements about pre or post interest either.

else PLink would have pulled this stunt before

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx and a belatted happy & prosperous new year to you also. I do find it strange that they send a Holding Letter the day before the 30 day response was due to expire and then panic and send me this garbage on the due date which is a day later?

They chose to ignore the 'Misappropriation of Funds' complaint and the above reasoning for their argument 'Nonsensical' shows that it was handled by someone who clearly did not understand the complaint as they fell for the curve ball i set which was the original contract when this was made void by the CCJ and they argue that the £4400 odd was the judgement and they can't find the judgement.

I even asked them for the 'Notice of Judgement' which was also completely ignored.

My exact wording in my Section 10 notice was as follows...

'Finally, can you please give your reasoning for charging compounded interest on this account when you are not aware of any 'Notice of Judgement' as would have been provided with the CCJ ?

One other thing! .. In their opening line of their review of my Section 10 complaint they state...

"A summons was issued against you under Claim number XT999999on 14th Jan 2002. The summons was issued by Northampton CCBC"

This is nonsense as this is the court action taken in London to establish my earnings etc when i was living in USA! They are quoting the CCJ (Northampton) with the London action to ascertain my earnings, i clearly told them in the section 10 notice that a CCJ would be two numbers followed by two letters and then five further numbers and not six as in the XT999999 reference they provided, it should be something like 02XT99999

I feel that i am bashing my head against a brick wall with th

ese clowns and just want to tell them to jog on now as i have tried to be reasonable and they have simply fobbed me off.

Edited by WarrenBuffet

easiest way now might be to stop payments

then let this all goto court

where they WILL have to prove the CCJ

and proof of post judgemental interest from the T&C's

which without a copy of the org judgement

will be darned near impossible!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

that's my take on it

ignore totally send nowt

however let andy and others have a say...

dx

and they

I have been mulling over whether i should attempt to speed things along and ask Link for all my payments back,

and threatening them with the small claims courts as they are not in posession of the CCJ

and its 'Notice of Judgement' therefore i have been paying them without due reason?

Im not in anyway legally qualified and i have found in previous experience that the Law can be very confusing to anyone without a Legal mindset.

if i do this i will be leading link by the nose as to the 'Misappropriation of Payment' complaint which they obviously have failed to understand yet.

Well you need either a copy of the judgment or a copy of the T&Cs.

Here is a letter for your perusal you will need to edit it to suit..its a legal request for disclosure..in particular interest applied to a debt.See what you can do with it.

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

Combined CPR 31.12 and CPR 16.4(2) Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) county courticon. I confirm having returned my Acknowledgement of Service form to the court indicating my intention to contest all of the proceedings.

Owing to the striking lack of particularity in your Particulars of Claim, I require the prompt disclosure by you pursuant to CPR 31.12 of each of the following documents, mention or reference to which would have been made had the Particulars of Claim contained the minimum of necessary particulars and complied generally with CPR PD 16.

1 the agreement giving rise to the obligation to (Insert Creditor) for the credit advanced. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the deed or other instrument of assignment by which you / the Claimant acquired rights under the agreement disclosed by you under [1] above.

3 the default notice, the service of which was a condition precedent to the creation of the debt now sued upon by you pursuant to the assignment disclosed by you under [2] above.

Additionally and in relation to the interest claimed, pursuant to CPR 16.4(2)

4 Under CPR 16.4(2)(a)(i) please now state whether the claim to £7xx.xx includes a claim for interest under the agreement disclosed under [1] above and if so,

5 Under CPR 16.4(2)(b) specify the amount of that interest, and

6 the percentage rate of interest, the date from which it is calculated and the date to which it is calculated, alternatively

7 Where more than one percentage rate of interest has been applied or compound interest has been applied in the calculation of the amount of interest specified at [5], specify each element of interest comprising the sum for interest specified at [5] and for each such element specify the amount treated as principal in the interest calculation, the percentage rate of interest, the date from which it is calculated and the date to which it is calculated.

8 Of the interest amounting to £2xx.xx claimed pursuant to County Courts Act 1984 section 69, specify the date from which it is calculated and the date to which it is calculated.

Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claimsicon track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the documents I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.12 request.

You should also ensure compliance with your CPR 16 duties and likewise ensure that the particular regarding interest are fully provided to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request.

If you are unable to comply with that part of this request concerned with CPR 31 and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with any part of this request or fail to request more time, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Today i managed to dig out a copy of the original loans T&C's from SLC

and the section 3 that they refer to as justification for charging interest on the account.

' 3. Interest

The loan will bear interest at such rates as from time to time may be prescribed in applicable regulations

being such rates as appears to the Secretary of State (and, in Northern Ireland, the Dept for Education and Employment )

to be requisite for maintaining the value of that amount in real terms.

The current rate of interest so perscribed is set out overleaf and may be varied from time to time as mentioned overleaf.

Interest will be charged on the balance of the loan from time to time outstanding on a day to day basis (after as well as before demand or judgement).

That interest will form part of your debt to us and will be shown on your account with us by being debited monthly.

All interest accrued will be added to the loan each month and will itself bear interest from time to time.'

This is their justification for charging interest, is this correct?

PS: I am in the process of preparing Andy's letter above and will post my proposed letter here first for sound advice as always.

So its not post judgment and is the rate set out overleaf?

Have also dug out a statement from the SLC and they have been charging interest!?

Am i incorrect in thinking that interest is not chargeable on Pre98 loans until the income threshold was reached?

The snap shot below shows interest being charged from day dot by the SLC even while i was still studying!

16/06/93 Loan Advance £715.00

12/07/93 Interest 1.95

10/08/93 Interest 2.18

10/09/93 Interest 1.87

11/10/93 Interest 0.73

10/11/93 Interest 0.71

10/12/93 Interest 0.71

10/01/94 Interest 0.73

31/01/94 Loan Advance £585.00

10/02/94 Interest 0.93

........... and so on.

Hi Andy, sorry i missed your post as i was in the process of preparing the post showing that the SLC were charging interest from day dot.

The overleaf i do not have as it was not provided and

as a result Link will also not have it

but will be charging that annual rate as set for all to see,

ie they are currently charging me the current rate chargeable on student Loans?

Im confused! :(

Ok, after i few confused mins thinking do i just slap them in the face and tell them that the original contract is now unenforceable

as it has been superseded by the CCJ and as they can't find it they can 'Eat my Shorts' in a Bart Simpson style.?

Edited by WarrenBuffet
Confused thoughts

Have had another look and the 'Overleaf' must be the details of my loan application with my signature and loan amount.

This is a very poor photocopy and the details are for my June 93 loan application for £715.

Rate of interest per day: 0.010498566%

APR : 3.9%

Below this it states 60 monthly payments etc as repayment and in the small box below that it clearly states about deferments

currently regulation provides for deferment if Gross income does not exceed £1,150 per month..

I find the rest of the detail very difficult to read due to the poor copy quality.

NB* These details are from my original loans as no-one knows anything as regards 'Notice of Judgement'

which made this void due to CCJ being the agreement that i dont have ,

SLC can't find and Plink dont have nor understand its significance!

Yes the judgment does replace the agreement but it still incorporated the terms and conditions of the agreement...the Notice of Judgment IE the N24 will or should state that interest is applicable if within the terms and condition of the agreement.

Having re read your post it does state " Interest will be charged on the balance of the loan from time to time outstanding on a day to day basis (after as well as before demand or judgement).

So be careful.

That may well be true Warren...Im not that red hot on Student Loans apart from the legal process.