Interesting Question About TVL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was just wondering if TVL applies to streams which aren't TV broadcasts over the web?

Two examples are:

1) NASA Solar Dynamics Observatories feeds, which are the exact feeds which NASA staff use to monitor the suns dynamics.

2) Various live webcams around the internet i.e. traffic-cams etc

They aren't broadcasts for TV purposes, but they certainly are live, if not maybe a 30 minute lag time but still theoretically live.

It'd be interesting to know how instances like this would apply.

Cheers,

Ade

• 1 month later...

No, you don't need a licence.

"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."

NASA isn't broadcast to the UK for TV purposes, nor are webcams

Hi,

I was just wondering if TVL applies to streams which aren't TV broadcasts over the web?

Two examples are:

1) NASA Solar Dynamics Observatories feeds, which are the exact feeds which NASA staff use to monitor the suns dynamics.

2) Various live webcams around the internet i.e. traffic-cams etc

They aren't broadcasts for TV purposes, but they certainly are live, if not maybe a 30 minute lag time but still theoretically live.

It'd be interesting to know how instances like this would apply.

Cheers,

Ade

• 1 month later...
Theoretically then, some enterprising young person could webcam mainstream UK channels for others to search for online.

Nope because that would be in breach of TVL and also copyright law regarding live streams.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Catchup TV won a court case a couple of years back, their five second stream delay was found to be appropriate as meaning the content was not 'live'.

Do you have a link for this? I doubt five seconds would be enough not to be considered live

Nor do I think that would be long enough.

If I listen to my radio in my bedroom, the programme is immediately available to me within milliseconds of transmission, enough to be instantaneous, I would think.

If I wander into the sitting room, I can listen to the same words about five seconds later, because the second radio is DAB, and takes a long time to decode the same stuff.

If two people each have a radio, one analogue, and the other one, digital, each would argue that the transmission they are listening to, is instantaneous - one of 'em certainly isn,t!

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!