Bt mac code help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a total nightmare with BT, so much that they have agreed that I can leave without incurring penalty charges for breaking contract.

I currently have BT Infinity fibre but want to move back to broadband.

I was given a MAC Code yesterday by a BT manager and tried to use this with my new provider. Problem is that it begins with the letter O but surely all MAC Codes begin with L ???

I had a look on Ofcom's site and its states that MAC Codes begin with L but what about if you have fibre - will it be different or should it still start with L ??

I have read that BT give out invalid MAC Codes so don't know if this is what they have done to me.

any help appreciated

Have you asked BT to confirm that they have given a valid MAC code? They wont be able to generate another code for you until 5 days have passed after they issued the last

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Will be contacting them tomorrow but I have read that they do give out dud mac codes.

I was trying to find out that because I have fibre at the moment would it make a difference to to the mac code i.e. could it start with O instead of L.

I was told by BT that the mac code they gave me was valid until 25th October yet I thought they were only valid for 5 days?

I wanted to find this out before I go mad at them tomorrow

Dont go mad at them. Remain calm and polite but be firm in what you want. The second you go mad is the second the telephone rep will consider you a trouble maker, and look to either transfer the call to another rep or close the call.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Another wasted day thanks to BT. Called the named person who is dealing with my case - answerphone says he is not back in office until Monday. I then called BT on a number I found which deals with MAC Codes but at the end of the call I found out it was the dreaded customer options team. The girl I spoke to informed me she could not give me a MAC as I already have a valid one. I told her it was not valid as has been confirmed by my new provider and Ofcom to which she said that they are both wrong. She confirmed that she didn't know Ofcom's regulations concerning MACs so I read them to her. She asked me for the web address of Ofcom where I got this information which of course was given to her. She said she would pass me to her manager but he was busy but she said he said to say that the code is valid .... lots of no it isn't yes it is later ..... bring on the pantomime dame and of course I got nowhere. She even told me it was the new provider's fault that the code does not work at which time I informed that this was a standard response from BT which I had been told to expect. She insisted i could not have a MAC end of call.

Spoke to Ofcom again who have now opened a complaint. They AGAIN confirmed that ALL MACs begin with L and there is no exception. I said that BT had said they issue them with all different beginning letters and was told that they can issue what they want but none of them will work as they MUST begin with L

Phoned named person dealing with my case to inform him I was emailing him again and low and behold even though he was not i the office till Monday, he phoned me within minutes from the office. His whole tone was different today. Last time I spoke to him he was hearts and flowers whereas today he was abrasive. He informed me in no uncertain terms that the MAC he gave me was valid so I asked him if he knew Ofcom regs concerning this .... he didn't so I read them to him which of course made him even more abrasive. He told me he could not work miracles .... I told him I did not want a miracle just a valid working MAC Code. He said he would get it for me Monday or Tuesday. I also told him that there is a complaint with Ofcom and that I will be emailing him as I want everything in writing. He didn't like this at all and stated that there was no point in emailing him as we were speaking on the phone but I told him I wanted it in writing. He said bye and I could almost hear the phone slam. ..... oh dear looks like he's in a bad mood now !!!

Get a FULL complaint in writing to BT's head office.