wrecked

ESA and Renting Rooms

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2245 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I am on ESA and they contribute towards my mortgage. last week i had the bailiffs round to collect my council tax arrears. I have been ill the last 4 years and really down to juggling debts. last year i had possession order slapped on me by the Building society and managed to just sort that out and i thought i was just getting my self together, when two months ago i had another relapse and missed a couple of payments on my council tax arrears. one of my friends suggested that i rent out my rooms. i am so broke that any additional money would really help. The bailiff visit last week just totally did me in.

So can some one tell me where i stand being on ESA and renting rooms out.

thanks

Wrecked.

Rules about this can be complicated, but as a starting point, you should be able to receive up to £20 per week in rental income before your benefit would be affected. Is any portion of your ESA contribution based?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

There is a very good bailiffs forum on here, you may wish to post there as well. If you are on ESA there is a reasonable possibility that the bailiffs shouldn't be calling.

Hi RaeUK

thakns for fast reply. My ESA is income based

I told the lady at the Council that i was on ESA. She wanted me to send her proof so i asked jobcentre to send me a confirmation as the council lady wanted a pproof of ESA which is less than 1 month old. She has sent me a financial statement form to complete. so I can get that done

if i can raise money by renting my rooms, then i am happy to do that as they are in good order and are empty.

I am just sick of being broke and sick of being sick.

if i can make some income to help me pay my mortgage and bills, then i am happy to rent out but I do not want to be breaking the law. I also do not want to find myself in a lurch

where i come off ESA and then not be able to get back on it if something happens.

I am on ESA because am have been extremely depressed and had a break down and also crippled. As a result I cannot work.

and just because I rent out rooms it does not mean I am able to work.

Can i rent ,my rooms out, how does it affect me and What can i earn before i have to declare my earnings...

I just dont know what to do at the moment.

so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Wrecked.

If you have income from renting rooms you might be able to claim Working Tax Credit and be better off all round, there is a disability element for WTC and you would be 'working' over 30 hours a week renting anyway.

Worth looking at that scenario on the Turn2Us site (you don't have to register to enquire).

Unfortunately you can only keep £20 a week of any rental income before the rest is deducted from your ESA. As it may well cost you that to have an extra person using things most people don't bother. When/if universal credit comes in that will change and you will be able to keep more income.

I think the main problem is dealing with your debt, finding a debt solution is a priority. Not sure on the totals of your debt but have you considered an IVA or bankruptcy even. Worth talking to step-change for free debt advice

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

I will go through Universal Credit and Turn2us and get back to you.

wrecked.