• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

unsecured uk debts now living in nz

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone could offer me some clarity on our situation, I have read through various posts but am now totally confused and not sure what to do. We moved to NZ 6 months ago, we left the UK with £50k of unsecured debts split between 8 different dcas. We have been running a dmp via step change for the last 3 yrs and paid on time every month, in the uk we did have property which we were fortunate enough to sell with equity before leaving. We used the equity to move to NZ and also paid back money friends and parents had lent us in the past. Now we are struggling to keep up payments in the UK and step change is advising we go bankrupt - which we dont want to do because the receiver will want a breakdown of how we spent the equity from our house sale. We are concerned if we tried to declare bankruptcy the receiver will find us fraudulant due to spending the proceeds of the sale.

We followed the advice on here and advised all DCAs of a po box address in NZ in writing and in fact have received the usual default notices here in the po box. All the while we continued to honour the dmp agreement. However we are now considering stopping payments - due to not having any remaining assets or disposable income. We know we do not have any CCJs and assume from advice here they cannot issue CCJs now we are non resident in the UK. Can the UK DCAS sell these debts to NZ dcas and if so can the NZ dca enforce them? Also can the UK dcas enforce bankruptcy as we have only been out of the UK for 6 months?

Any advice would be appreciated, this is starting to really concern us as we have a young family. Thanks

Its extremely difficult for a DCA to enforce a debt over in NZ, it has been tried before and failed...

These debts will go away after 6 years... My honest opinion is stop the payments, if you are living in NZ there is almost nothing they can do to you.

A judge can only enforce a CCJ in an English court in English territory.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Just stop payments. You don't have to go down the bankruptcy route. If you want to look at bankruptcy, Stepchange have a team that deals with bankruptcy from abroad, who can advise you on how this would affect you.

It is possible for CCJ's to be obtained in the UK in your absence, but because they know you are abroad, they would have to follow a particular procedure. This would include the court having to send the court claim to your address in NZ. But what would they then do in trying to enforce in NZ. It is possible in theory, as there is a commonwealth law dating back to 1933 which enables a reciprocal arrangement between courts UK/NZ. But they won't do this, as they would risk spending money, that they would not get back. So instead if they wanted to hassle you, they would get a DCA to write to you in NZ, with no real intention to use the courts.

If I were in your situation, I would end the DMP and write to each DCA/creditor advising them of the situation. If you cannot afford the repayments, it is then up to the DCA to decide what to do. I suspect that they will add your debt to a list and they will sell it on, without telling the new DCA what the score is with the debt. But get some advice about bankruptcy first and see how it could affect you in NZ.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the advice. We have taken advice on bankruptcy and it would be the best option if we hadnt have had equity that we effectively spent. It appears from the advice we received there is absolutely no effect of going bankrupt in UK on NZ. Worst case is they send a letter to the NZ bank account and your landlord to advise you are bankrupt in UK. But this has no impact here assuming you are maintaining everything correctly which we are.

Sounds like best move would be stop paying dmp, write to each of them saying cant afford payments and then let it play out. Can anyone advise on the best form of wording of this -ie do we just make it quite generic saying we cannot afford to repay anything and would you advise sending a budget sheet (like used for step change indicating there are no assets or disposable income)?

I think we were just worried we could end up with NZ dcas chasing us around but it sounds like even if they did we could just ignore them?

Edited by newlifenz

Keep the letter simple and direct. i.e ( There is no point telling them not to write to you asking for payment, as they ignore that and write anyway. You have told them the position, so just read anything they send to you and don't respond if you don't need to)

Dear Sir

acccount no.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are currently making payments through a debt management plan in respect of the above account.

Unfortunately, our finances have taken a turn for the worse and we are unable to maintain payment. Therefore with immediate effect, payments will be stopped

Just to make you aware of our financial position, I have included a separate sheet showing our current income and expediture. As you will see there is very little in the way of spare income that would enable meaningful payments to be made.

I would also like to draw your attention to the fact that we do not possess any assets in the UK or New Zealand. We currently rent out property in New Zealand.

It is hoped that at some stage in the future our financial position will improve and we will be able to meet any commitments that we have. If we are fortunate to get to such a position, we will be in contact with you.

Edited by unclebulgaria67

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks for the advice. We have taken advice on bankruptcy and it would be the best option if we hadnt have had equity that we effectively spent. It appears from the advice we received there is absolutely no effect of going bankrupt in UK on NZ. Worst case is they send a letter to the NZ bank account and your landlord to advise you are bankrupt in UK. But this has no impact here assuming you are maintaining everything correctly which we are.

Sounds like best move would be stop paying dmp, write to each of them saying cant afford payments and then let it play out. Can anyone advise on the best form of wording of this -ie do we just make it quite generic saying we cannot afford to repay anything and would you advise sending a budget sheet (like used for step change indicating there are no assets or disposable income)?

I think we were just worried we could end up with NZ dcas chasing us around but it sounds like even if they did we could just ignore them?

Hello, I am in exactly the same situation as you. I just stopped communicating with all credit card companies, debt collection outfits etc. They will huff and puff and threaten to send people on a door step visit etc. Pure bull**** though, they won't do anything at all except threaten. Eventually they stop even the threats. COMPLETE SILENCE AND NO CONTACT WITH ANY OF THEM is what I recommend to you. They will try and intimidate you into replying DON'T REPLY.

Good luck and don't worry.

It is possible for CCJ's to be obtained in the UK in your absence, but because they know you are abroad, they would have to follow a particular procedure. This would include the court having to send the court claim to your address in NZ.

Hi Uncle Bulgaria,

Totally agree with your comments but can I just ask you clarify the "particular procedure" that may be used to obtain a CCJ against a non-UK resident?.

Unless the law has changed, is it not the case that a County Court Judgment can only be obtained against a UK resident and cannot legally be obtained against a debtor that is living outside the UK?

By "living" I mean someone who can prove permanent residence overseas and is thus unable to attend a the UK County Court "nearest to their address" in order to defend themselves.

What would be the point in sending the documents to an overseas address if the OP could simply send them back stating that he was living in NZ and therefore beyond the court's jurisdiction?

I agree with your point about the reciprocal agreement but this would only be applicable if a CCJ had first been lawfully obtained in the UK.

In theory the creditors could try to sue in an NZ court but since I assume these debts are governed by the UK Consumer Credit legislation, the hearing could only take place in an NZ court if the case was heard under UK law.

I will have a look again at this, but I read of rules that allow for a claim to be sent to a foreign address, where the defendent is not a UK resident. There seemed to be a procedure that would allow for a judgement against a non UK resident. Perhaps this can only be used in certain circumstances, where the person still has some ongoing interest in the UK and not in a situation where they have left the country lock, stock and barrel.

This may well be the case for some claims that are not the usual unsecured (i.e.credit card and personal loan) debts discussed on this forum.

However, for all debts covered by the 1974 CCA, jurisdiction is strictly limited to the County Courts in England and Wales and by the Sheriff court in Scotland and neither of these bodies can pass judgement on anyone living outside the UK.

I have to admit that I am not 100% up to speed on the current situation for cross-border enforcement of consumer debt within the EU but in the case of the OP who is in NZ, there's certainly nothing to worry about.,