My DLA to PIP journey

Nystagmite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can I have the title changed please? I won! :D After I was called back in, the judge / chair person did say that he does agree; but can also see whre DWP are coming from; as I am borderline. I've been borderlin for a few yars, which is so frusrating.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful News! well done:)

If you scroll to the bottom of this page you will see a box with a red line around it which is the link to donate :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• 2 years later...

http://www.rnib.org.uk/campaigning-current-campaigns-employment-and-welfare/pip-campaign

This only affects the care part. Currently, you receive points if you use an aid. They want to change this. The options are:

1. A lump sum for people who meet the daily living threshold on the basis of ‘aids and appliances’. This would be less than the equivalent of the usual daily living rate, it could be discretionary, or restricted (such as paying someone in vouchers). It would not passport people to other benefits and would mean claimants would not be exempt from the benefit cap.
  2. A monthly payment for claimants who meet the daily living threshold solely on the basis of ‘aids and appliances’. As above, this would be below the usual daily living weekly rate, would not act as a passport to any other benefit and would not exempt claimants from the benefit cap.
  3. Preventing claimants from qualifying for the daily living rate at all, if they qualified only on the basis of ‘aids and appliances'.
  4. Redefining ‘aids and appliances’ to exclude items that are a poor indicator of additional cost and need, such as those that are available at ‘low or no cost’ or ‘commonly used by non-disabled people’.
  5. Halving the number of points awarded from two to one for the use of aids and appliances in relation to some or all daily living activities

Indeed. And what happens to people who use their PIP to pay for care? That has to be paid for somehow.

In regards to the first point - I sometimes use my credit card to buy more expensive aids I need to use and then use my DLA to pay off my card. Obviously, I understand not everyone can do this; but I'm fine doing it myself. It gives me the freedom to buy the exact item I need. I don't see why I as a disabled person, (who I should add, is able to for the most part deal with their money) should be told what I can and can't spend my own money on. It works out far more expensive for the taxpayer to do things like that instead of the current system where we given a lump sum every 4 weeks.

There are a lot of things which seriously concern me with the planned proposals:

- I don't spend all my money on aids as such. PIP / DLA forms don't cover every single life situation. For example, I have severe photophobia (this is a common problem with people who have the eye conditions I have) and find that a bog standard sun hat doesn't help one bit. You can pick these up for about £5. The only hat which helps (and fits!) cost me about £67. I also spend my money on things such as vaseline, coloured paper, nasal strips, (because a side effect of my medication is a blocked nose and it's the only way I can breathe at night) nappy sacks and wet wipes. None of those things are classed as aids or appliances. But they are extra costs I have as a disabled person. They're not that expensive; but they all soon add up.

- they talk about aids and appliances a non-disabled person uses. It's not that simple. I can't just walk into Argos and pick up the first microwave I see. I'm partially sighted and have to have a certain type which I can see the screen properly. Mine cost me about £100. You can pick them up for about £30, I think. My landline phone cost me about £50. My first one (which I got rid of because I couldn't read it properly) cost me £10. Before we had smartphones, I had to get a talking mobile phone and used to use some of my DLA to cover that because the contract was a bit more expensive. It's like that with any technology. I can't just walk into a shop and pick up the first one I see. My laptop for example, cost me £700 2 years ago because of the screen size. They start at around £150-200.

- Where does this leave people who give their money to their family, friends or carers to do things for them? When I lived at home, I gave my parents some of my DLA. That covered things like being taken / being dropped places (because I don't drive)

- some of us with learning disabilities / mental health problems spend our money on human help rather than aids

Why, as a disabled person, am I being told what I can and can't spend my money on; but no other benefits claimants are?

How are some people going to learn to budget if they're being given vouchers to spend their money on?

I use some of my DLA/PIP to keep my 'larger' home so I dont have to move into a 1 bedroom place, there by losing the help of my daughter! OK she pays half of the rent and stuff but my HB doesnt cover all of mine. plus even though I didnt qualify for the mobility part I cant walk that far nor carry more than a light shopping bag so use some of the money towards extra trav el costs!

• 4 months later...

So, I got the dreaded brown envelope stating I'm due to transfer from PIP. Urgh.:-(

One question for now - one of the questions on the form they send you is the name and address of a professional who sees you. I'm under someone who I've seen at 2 different locations. Does it really matter which address I put down?

Won't make a ounce of difference since they rarely bother contacting anyone anyway.

You may consider listing absolutely everyone you have ever seen about your conditions even if you don't currently see them - it does seem to be a case of if you're only being treated by your GP, your condition is obviously not too bad, which any of us with untreatable conditions knows is complete codswallop. DWP do however think we should all be wasting the time of consultants and GPs by having pointless consultations just to keep our records up to date.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks.

I had a friend quickly go through the descriptors with me to see where I score points. Now just to wait for the forms to come through and make an appointment to get someone to help me fill them in.

Guest Miss Anxious
I can't believe how difficult it is trying to find someone to help fill the form in for me. :(

Maybe age concern can help, but I don't know how old you are? They helped a friend of mine. Or the disability rights Group?

Also usually in the council offices they have a welfare rights person......You might also find information on the

Benefits and Work Forum?