Caught shoplifting from Primark - RLP letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To be totally honest, I am for retailers doing things the old fashioned way and reporting all offenders to the police. What happened to all shoplifters will be prosecuted that you used to see on signs?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be totally honest, I am for retailers doing things the old fashioned way and reporting all offenders to the police. What happened to all shoplifters will be prosecuted that you used to see on signs?

Me too. The criminal justice system is the correct way to deal with thieves.

When RLP was first started, the concept was for civil recovery to be used only where a thief had been convicted in a criminal court. Once Lambert took over she dispensed with all that and started to target anyone accused by shop security, without bothering if they were guilty or not, or whether or not there was any actual loss.

The cps are reluctant to send someone to court for stealing a fivers worth of stuff. Its simpler to hand out an on the spot fine. That said, the police normally chastise the shop if theyre called out to arrest someone who has taken a very small moneys worth of items

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sadly it is a feature of the way we chose to shop and part of the price these supermarkets have to pay in order to turn over the millions of pounds and make the massive profits they do. If all shops went back to the old days, where you walked into a shop and got served over the counter, there would be no problem.

Superstores know that the way they operate encourages pilfering and allow for it in their budget, it is a part of the running cost for the way they chose to do business, regardless of any morality issues, the fact is that even with "shrinkage" this is still a very efficient way for them to retail goods and make massive profits.

From a legal standpoint, the very fact that this is an operational cost and appears on there balance sheet makes a claim for damages difficult to sustain. Security staff, cameras etc, would be there irrespective of any alleged tort being committed, you would have to show how the activities of the shoplifter caused additional costs to the retailer, this was exposed in the Oxford case mentioned earlier.

Also it is true that the store must mitigate its losses, placing goods in doorways and within easy reach of often very young children, who do not know any better is hardly responsible behavior. The reason for such placement is so that the parent will be pressured into the purchase, so perhaps some would say it serves them right if the occasional milky bar goes awol.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Sadly it is a feature of the way we chose to shop and part of the price these supermarkets have to pay in order to turn over the millions of pounds and make the massive profits they do. If all shops went back to the old days, where you walked into a shop and got served over the counter, there would be no problem.

Superstores know that the way they operate encourages pilfering and allow for it in their budget, it is a part of the running cost for the way they chose to do business, regardless of any morality issues, the fact is that even with "shrinkage" this is still a very efficient way for them to retail goods and make massive profits.

From a legal standpoint, the very fact that this is an operational cost and appears on there balance sheet makes a claim for damages difficult to sustain. Security staff, cameras etc, would be there irrespective of any alleged tort being committed, you would have to show how the activities of the shoplifter caused additional costs to the retailer, this was exposed in the Oxford case mentioned earlier.

Also it is true that the store must mitigate its losses, placing goods in doorways and within easy reach of often very young children, who do not know any better is hardly responsible behavior. The reason for such placement is so that the parent will be pressured into the purchase, so perhaps some would say it serves them right if the occasional milky bar goes awal.

Just so.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update as I know a few people look at my thread in hope to get some peace of mind regarding their own.

RLP have stopped pestering, but this DCA "Scotcall" have called twice, I think it was an automated system as I had to say my date of birth I think (I was half asleep, I hung up after 2 seconds) the calls seem to be spread out and completely random (about a week apart)

It's been a week since their last call, and they are only calling ME (Not my friend) which I found weird (both of us were caught) Probably because they got the info on here (as RLP quoted I shouldn't go on CAG for advice in a previous letter)

Why do you think it's just me getting the calls? She didn't even get the DCA letter... Do you think they'll stop calling since it's been a week?

Ignore it. Scotcall are right at the bottom of dcas. They only deal with bad devrs. Thet do not chase valid ones

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

(as RLP quoted I shouldn't go on CAG for advice in a previous letter)

In other words, please, pretty please do not go on CAG as we hate them for telling the truth about us. :-)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Quick update as I know a few people look at my thread in hope to get some peace of mind regarding their own.

RLP have stopped pestering, but this DCA "Scotcall" have called twice, I think it was an automated system as I had to say my date of birth I think (I was half asleep, I hung up after 2 seconds) the calls seem to be spread out and completely random (about a week apart)

It's been a week since their last call, and they are only calling ME (Not my friend) which I found weird (both of us were caught) Probably because they got the info on here (as RLP quoted I shouldn't go on CAG for advice in a previous letter)

Why do you think it's just me getting the calls? She didn't even get the DCA letter... Do you think they'll stop calling since it's been a week?

Make a note or save the numbers, most phones let you block calls from certain numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 'itsryanzc' I've actually been following your posts since you started on here and wanted to say thanks for sharing! just wondering if there are any updates following the last phone call u got from scotcall? please don't stop updating because I'm really keen on knowing what this will eventually lead to :)

It wont lead to anything. Basically Jackie gives up and goes after an easier target.

It wont lead to anything. Basically Jackie gives up and goes after an easier target.

Totally agree. Since the 'Oxford' case, Jackie seems very reluctant to go back and get another slapping.

Unfortunately, CAG only sees a fraction of the cases referred to RLP. While no one would condone shoplifting, the ends do not justify the means where RLP are concerned.

Alp4ooX, are you in a similar situation? If so, we can help. Just start a thread.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hey 'itsryanzc' I've actually been following your posts since you started on here and wanted to say thanks for sharing! just wondering if there are any updates following the last phone call u got from scotcall? please don't stop updating because I'm really keen on knowing what this will eventually lead to :)

I haven't heard anything since my last call. I hungup as soon as they called me. It's been a while now so who knows.... I will be straight back here if I hear anything!

If I don't reply.... I haven't heard anything!

If they do phone again dont just hang up but put the phone to one side and leave it connected as then they cannot disconnect and bother someone else. i like to play them some tunes on the radio when I get calls like that. 9though that is not what i did to some dodgy Indian con merchants claiming to be my internet provider

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys just a final update from me I think.

Haven't heard anything since. Glad it's all over. I hope this helps others who happen to be in the same situation I was in.

• 2 weeks later...

These RLP people sent me a letter on monday! They can go away!

I've learnt my lesson and WON'T go to Primark again nor will I shop around there again!

Debt collects they will bring round? WOT DEBT????? lol!

RLP are a con PLEASE DON'T PAY THEM TO DO MORE! IGNORE ALL LETTERS AND CALLS! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I hope everyone is okay! It's been two years since I made this topic on here... I didn't receive any more letters... Until now.

I'm not living in the UK anymore but my sister opened the letter for me..

Two whole years have passed and they're still trying!! Jesus!! Hahahah

I genuinely can't believe it's been two years and they've sent another letter as a desperate attempt. I might give them my Australian number so if they call I can leave my phone on and it'll cost them lots hahaha.

can we see it please

follow the upload guide

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Standard letter from Ms Lambert complete with misappropriated apostrophe. She also misses out one further option from her list:

• Ignore this letter and discard.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I cannot believe they are getting this desperate and trying it on after such a long time. Wonder if their business model has been affected by sites such as this??

As the Yoofs say, Wo'ever! Just ignore it and carry on with your life.

As they haven't issued a "claim" then you are not in a position to respond to it. !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Best is to ignore but I'd have fun replying.....

Dear Sir.

Re: Your letter dated xx/xx/xx, I assume by “an obligation on all parties..”, you are referring to the Practise Direction – Pre Action Conduct.

I refer you to Paragraph 6. (a). You have not informed me on what basis the claim is made, it is not reasonable for companies to write to individuals asking for sums without a very clear legal basis that can be upheld in a court.

Paragraph 3. (a) expects the parties to understand each others positions, my position is that THERE IS NO AMOUNT OWING TO RLP OR YOUR CLIENT.

I now consider the Pre-Action Protocol completed and the correspondence closed, I shall therefore await the legal action to commence.

make sure that you give your Australian address and tell them that you have no address in the UK and you are a permanent resident abroad.

Should they then still write to your old addy you will have to raise a complaint to the ICO about unlawful processing of incorrect data