Dubai Debt Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, where do I start.

I need advice / guidance on my current situation. I was living, working in Dubai UAE for the past 8 years. Everything was going extremely well until I invested in a gold mining company which turned out to me a huge global [problem].

Unfortunately, I was tied into this [problem] for a few months before it went bad, I thought it had potential so took a loan to increase my share amount, 2 months later they stopped paying dividends and I was stuck with a substantial loan...

I continued to pay regardless over the next 2 months only to be dropped with the news my job was on the line due to company restructure. Now I really started to panic, if I lose my job I wouldn't be able to pay anything...

This is when I started to evaluate the possibilities, unfortunately one of the scenarios was been arrested and my passport taken from me for been a flight risk for missed loan payments.

I took the decision to at least keep my freedom, get out of Dubai while I still could and look to find a job back home, where I could look to start a repayment plan.

I left Dubai in January and still I'm finding it hard to pay my monthly living costs, let alone pay off my Dubai debt totaling around 100,000 Pounds Sterling...

I was in communication with one of the lenders about my situation, I told them I was in the uk looking for work. Then everything went quiet until I received an email from a UK debt collection company threatening me...

Now the second lender, citi bank for one of my credit cards have started. I have also been in contact with them as regular as possible updating them with my situation. Now they are saying my case is in the court (where i don't know) and I will have a global travel ban as the crime is regulated under international law Sec. 188 and will be arrested in the country I reside?

Now I haven't got a clue where I stand, worried, no money to pay them and now it looks like the problem has now got worse.

I want to take control of this situation and don't know where to start; I tried to Google international law advice and was directed to this site.

So I hope someone can reply, and put me in touch with a good lawyer to represent me and give me accurate information of what will happen and how I can move forward.

I have no assets and really am starting to worry someone will come knocking soon. I want to take control before this happens.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, where do I start.

I need advice / guidance on my current situation. I was living, working in Dubai UAE for the past 8 years. Everything was going extremely well until I invested in a gold mining company which turned out to me a huge global [problem].

Unfortunately, I was tied into this [problem] for a few months before it went bad, I thought it had potential so took a loan to increase my share amount, 2 months later they stopped paying dividends and I was stuck with a substantial loan...

I continued to pay regardless over the next 2 months only to be dropped with the news my job was on the line due to company restructure. Now I really started to panic, if I lose my job I wouldn't be able to pay anything...

This is when I started to evaluate the possibilities, unfortunately one of the scenarios was been arrested and my passport taken from me for been a flight risk for missed loan payments.

I took the decision to at least keep my freedom, get out of Dubai while I still could and look to find a job back home, where I could look to start a repayment plan.

I left Dubai in January and still I'm finding it hard to pay my monthly living costs, let alone pay off my Dubai debt totaling around 100,000 Pounds Sterling...

I was in communication with one of the lenders about my situation, I told them I was in the uk looking for work. Then everything went quiet until I received an email from a UK debt collection company threatening me...

Now the second lender, citi bank for one of my credit cards have started. I have also been in contact with them as regular as possible updating them with my situation. Now they are saying my case is in the court (where i don't know) and I will have a global travel ban as the crime is regulated under international law Sec. 188 and will be arrested in the country I reside?

Now I haven't got a clue where I stand, worried, no money to pay them and now it looks like the problem has now got worse.

I want to take control of this situation and don't know where to start; I tried to Google international law advice and was directed to this site.

So I hope someone can reply, and put me in touch with a good lawyer to represent me and give me accurate information of what will happen and how I can move forward.

I have no assets and really am starting to worry someone will come knocking soon. I want to take control before this happens.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon

Hi Welcome to CAG,

I sorry CAG cannot recommend the services of solicitors, you will need to seek advice locally from one of the prominent law practices in you area.

I'm sure that a senior partner in such a practice will be able to point you to a professional experienced in the your type of case.

I wish you the very best of luck here!!

PS. Enforcing a Dubai debt in the UK will not be easy I think.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

granted I might not find a solicitor offering their services, but people in a similar scenario might have some insight or advice. If someone could offer advice on the global travel ban and who I need to contact regarding the situation.

Yes funds are low but that doesn't mean I cant research the cost involved to get some help. I need to start somewhere and now is a good a time as any.

granted I might not find a solicitor offering their services, but people in a similar scenario might have some insight or advice. If someone could offer advice on the global travel ban and who I need to contact regarding the situation.

Yes funds are low but that doesn't mean I cant research the cost involved to get some help. I need to start somewhere and now is a good a time as any.

Hi Dell,

I'll put out an SOS for help for you, please bear in mind it's a weekend and all here are volunteers.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hi Brig, and thanks again. SOS or anything would be great... I haven't been in a situation to make the payments over the last few months. Now I have a job I want to speak with someone and find out how to consolidate everything and have someone help contact all the banks etc from the UK.

I have found companies on google for debt in UK but I am not sure if they can handle my debt in Dubai, consolidate, negotiate with the banks etc etc... Plus if my case has already reached a Dubai court with a global travel ban against my name, is a repayment plan still an option, or is this to late as my case has already been addressed in court. Lots of questions and not sure who to ask, so thanks for the advice again.

Hi Dell,

I'll put out an SOS for help for you, please bear in mind it's a weekend and all here are volunteers.

Brig.

SOS out Dell.

The global travel ban I know of but am not familiar with how this might affect you in the UK or what the consequences are.

I 've had a quick word with a colleague (barrister) who agrees that seeking advice locally as to a law practice experienced in this are is sound, the local firms will have knowledge of such people.

If you want to find Solicitors with a UK office who deal with Dubai issues, then use the search tool on the Law Society site. Use the following link and enter UAE, to find well known names that also have offices in the UK.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/#formtop

If you mention your current financial situation to them and ask whether any legal aid or pro bono cases are taken on, they may be able to advise on this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There was an interesting article I read unfortunately I cant post due to my newbie status. But the last sentence was about Gulf States attempting to extradite British Expats. However, all cases have been throw out of court due to UK law seeing it as a civil case not a criminal matter.

Also the article read, now in Dubai they are starting to check files at immigration. If they deem you as a flight risk they wont let you leave the country unless you pay your debt??? This seems a little excessive, and what do they class as a flight risk?

As far as I am aware the process is as flows (information thanks to another website I am unable to post)...

1. The bank may file a police complaint in case of default. The police complaint can prevent you from leaving UAE.

2. If the expat leaves UAE with the amount due then the Guarantor can be made to pay the amount due.

3. If the person leaves UAE with default in credit card then bank may institute legal proceedings and even a red corner notice may be issued against the person.

4. Then the next step I guess depends on whether the country you reside has an extradition treaty in place with the UAE for economic and civil offences like this.

Due to the slow start to me finding a job looks like I'm at this stage now. To keep others in a similar situation up to date I will update this thread with nay new developments. And hopefully people can learn and understand better on how they can deal with this situation before it gets out of hand.

The global ban is a joke. It only applies to arab nations. They cannot stop you going through europe or any other country etc.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank You Connif , I was thinking more like 10.00 :)

On a serious note, I was thinking of the same making a monthly payment within my budget. As and when I get more cash I can make balloon payments to clear the debt quicker.

I have a feeling the case has already been to court so the question is. Is it to late to start making payments? If I already have a red corner notice against my name can this be settled still out of court?

This is not a 'wont' pay so is not fraud. Debt is not a criminal offence.

Make a standing order to them of say £5 per month and tell them that is all you can afford and you will review it as soon as you gain employment.

Thanks again Conniff, I took your advice and I have just sent an email to the banks direct as well. Maybe I can negotiate a better deal (if its not to late).

I'm starting the new job 1st October. With the salary I am hoping to cover 300-400 and still be able to live and put food on the table.

Only an amount you know for certain you can keep to without defaulting again. It's not the amount that is so important, but being regular and not missing any payments.

If you want to get proper advice on your position you will need to be much more specific. You have very briefly summarised the threats made by Citibank and I think the key details have got lost in translation. For example, there is no such thing as a "sec 188" under international law, someone has misunderstood what "international" law is. Can you tell us what, exactly, Citibank threatened in their letter (preferably word-for-word)?

You might be banned from travelling within the GCC. But I have not heard of a "global" travel ban. I can't see how a travel ban granted by a court in Dubai would affect you in the UK.

Having dealt with UAE lawyers in the past, not sure you will get much joy going down that route particularly if you can't afford to pay them. The UAE legal system is not a developed legal system like we have in the UK and Europe.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Please be reminded that as a credit card/personal loan holder out of your Country /territory, your use thereon is regulated by International Law Sec. 188, that’s governs the acquiring and receiving of credit card/personal loan, which includes severe criminal and/or civil penalties for credit/loan fraud.

The act of evading payment for your CITIBANK ACCOUNT is already deemed fraudulent hence, subject to stipulations of the above law.

CIVIL CASE and GLOBAL TRAVEL BAN, are being executed upon you by Federal Court of Dubai, Ministry of Justice, and U.A.E. for ABANDONMENT OF ACCOUNT with CITIBANK and anytime will be file to your home country and current country of residence to affiliated court.

I strongly recommend that you contact our recovery office at 009714-3523805 or 0097155-1045080.

Any assistance feel free to contact us.

Recovery Cards & Banking

Citibank N.A. UAE

If you want to get proper advice on your position you will need to be much more specific. You have very briefly summarised the threats made by Citibank and I think the key details have got lost in translation. For example, there is no such thing as a "sec 188" under international law, someone has misunderstood what "international" law is. Can you tell us what, exactly, Citibank threatened in their letter (preferably word-for-word)?

You might be banned from travelling within the GCC. But I have not heard of a "global" travel ban. I can't see how a travel ban granted by a court in Dubai would affect you in the UK.

Having dealt with UAE lawyers in the past, not sure you will get much joy going down that route particularly if you can't afford to pay them. The UAE legal system is not a developed legal system like we have in the UK and Europe.

Interesting. There is so much wrong with that email I do not even know where to begin.

• An international bank sending out an email littered with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
  • International treaties do not have "sections", they have "Articles".
  • There is no such thing as the "Federal Court of Dubai". The UAE federal courts are located in Abu Dhabi not Dubai.
  • As far as I am aware there is no such thing as "International Law Sec 188".
  • The only relevant "Sec 188" I can think of is section 188 of the Restatement (Second) on Conflicts of Law which (1) only applies to the United States, (2) is not a law it is simply a textbook produced by the American Bar Association, (3) is about the system of law which governs contracts and has nothing to do with enforcement of foreign debts which is an entirely separate issue.
  • The phone numbers do not come up on google as being Citibank numbers.

Are you sure the email is legitimate and actually comes from Citibank?

Pretty sure, her email is [email protected]

Thanks & regards

Recovery Cards & Banking

Citibank N.A. UAE

Email address : [email protected]

Interesting. There is so much wrong with that email I do not even know where to begin.

• An international bank sending out an email littered with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
  • International treaties do not have "sections", they have "Articles".
  • There is no such thing as the "Federal Court of Dubai". The UAE federal courts are located in Abu Dhabi not Dubai.
  • As far as I am aware there is no such thing as "International Law Sec 188".
  • The only relevant "Sec 188" I can think of is section 188 of the Restatement (Second) on Conflicts of Law which (1) only applies to the United States, (2) is not a law it is simply a textbook produced by the American Bar Association, (3) is about the system of law which governs contracts and has nothing to do with enforcement of foreign debts which is an entirely separate issue.
  • The phone numbers do not come up on google as being Citibank numbers.

Are you sure the email is legitimate and actually comes from Citibank?

Check the email headers. Not the from address.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Just thought id check as a lot of [problematic] edit it.

As already advised, there are either a lot of lies on that letter or something went wrong with the translation.

Yes I agree, it does look like one of these awful emails trying to trick people.

If it is genuinely from Citibank you could always email back asking them to explain exactly what has happened, what "sec 188" they are referring to and how they managed to bring a case in the "Federal Court of Dubai" when there is no such thing. Then again I'm not sure you would achieve much by playing email ping-pong.

You said in your first post you had received contact from a UK DCA, but this is an email from the bank in the UAE?