Should the bedroom tax be scrapped? please vote

ee-bee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3861 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally against the "bedroom tax". It states that 50% of the people effected by the policy are now in debt. I wonder how many of these people were in debt before this change and have now gone deeper debt because of this and lets not forget having to pay a percentage of the council tax on top of this. I have asked the council for figures concerning access to "fighting fund" for people who can not pay but nothing as come back yet.

perhaps I will have to use the freedom of information act.

I am totally against the "bedroom tax". It states that 50% of the people effected by the policy are now in debt. I wonder how many of these people were in debt before this change and have now gone deeper debt because of this and lets not forget having to pay a percentage of the council tax on top of this. I have asked the council for figures concerning access to "fighting fund" for people who can not pay but nothing as come back yet.

perhaps I will have to use the freedom of information act.

have you voted on the guardian page

my friend as been hit by this bedroom tax,he now as only £45 a week to live on after paying towards council tax and bedroom tax and a small loan he had from the jc.

so £41 a week for TV license, gas, electric,water rates, phone,bus fairs,food and clothing. and people think every ones as wide screen tvs and sky.lol.

Thread title amended

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Voted.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Have Voted.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It is one of the worst ideas the condems have ever had. And thats saying a lot!

The sad thing is though is that it will NOT be scrapped, as it is making the councils and the government a heck of a lot of money. They know they cant force people out of their homes, so theyre doing the next best thing. Making sure people get in massive rent arrears through this and have them evicted.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It would have been better if there was a box to add a comment. I think in some situations, (ie, those who have been offered a chance to move but refuse to) people should pay the tax.

Probably wouldn't be worth it Nystagmite for the handful of peeps that have actually been offered alternative accommodation as there are none.

Perhaps a box to ask how do you feel about the Mansion Tax ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Wow andy. What a novel idea!! Tax the rich instead of the poor! :jaw:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

What's the betting that 9 out of every 10 that voted are the ones affected by it? And no doubt it will be argued that the vote was fair. Ummm

Personally I think that they should keep it and thereby making it completely fair right across the rental market - council/HA & private rented.

Or do away with it all together and make the private rental market the same - remove all questions of number of bedrooms to arrive at the appropriate Housing Allowance .

As it is at the moment, those in the private rental market have accepted the situation, so why should the HA/Council market be any different?

My daughter rents privately and has a 3 bed property She has 2 children, 2(F), 6(M). Unfortunately the 6 year old lad has severe learning difficulties and sleeps very little and most nights (in the early hours) sees him emptying the drawers and throwing things about and screaming for hours on end. Luckily he is in his own room.

She can only have the 2 bed rate and as such has to find £60 a week out of her other benefits to pay the rent.

She accepts this - yet then she asks why should she have to put up with this whilst council and HA tenants are kicking off because it is their turn now to see their reductions in HB.

Edited by bedofweeds

The key difference is that LHA wasn't applied to existing claims - people seeking properties were fully aware of the situation. And of course, the private rental market is more flexible and bigger. But yeah, nobody who'd been living in a property for years suddenly got 15 or 20 percent of the money arbitrarily yanked overnight.

But strange to say, I'm not actually opposed in principle to reducing over-occupation in the social sector. It's the implementation of this thing that really stinks. We could reorganise the way social sector housing is offered, or reduce benefits to those who have been offered a smaller property more in line with their needs but refused it. Problem is, those properties simply don't exist, and I don't see any government volunteering to cough up the cash to build them.

The net effect here will be to force people from social sector HB to private sector LHA. This will cost more, of course, since private sector rents are higher.

On the personal point you raised, it's nothing to do with your daughter, but I suspect if the private sector tenants had done a better job of "kicking off" when LHA was introduced, many of these injustices would have been resolved and no-one would be in this situation now. Or maybe they were right - maybe there's nothing anyone could do about any of this, and we should all just throw up our hands and say "No point in fighting!" I couldn't live with myself if I did that, and I will take that view to my grave. I'll lose energy as I age, but not my conscience.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.