Advice needed for BCS

benzuko
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently received a letter from a company called Bryan Carter solicitors about a debt with Frederick or something.

The first time I started hearing from Freds was way back in 2007 and have just ignored them as have no Idea what it was.

But it did say Vodafone on the original letters years ago.

this letter from BCS says I owe Lowell £2000 odd plus fees and have 14 days to pay it.

I have a feeling I shouldn't be ignoring this one but have no legal experience.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like they could be chasing a lemon debt.

Has it been six or more years since your last correspondance and payment to the debt (5 in scotland)?

If so, simply send them the statute barred letter.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If they did, and you are absolutely sure it is SB, then you can use SB as an absolute defense. However, instead of waiting till then, it is better to deal with it asap. Carter and lowells are VERY litigious, so its best to nip it in the bud fast.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Agreed, if you have made no payment or acknowledged any liability for this debt for 6 years then it is statute barred and whilst the debt doesn't disappear, it cannot be collected via the courts because of the statute of limitations.

You could check your credit files to see if this debt is still being reported. A default marker would usually be placed up to 6 months after the first missed payment.

You will find a draft Stat Barred letter in the CAG library. Until you advise the DCA that it is statute barred and you will not be making payment or accepting liability then it is likely they will continue to make attempts to recover the debt. With Lowells, that might well take the form of a Statutory Demand, which is the first step to a bankruptcy petition.

So, establish when you made the last payment and if over 6 years, send the stat barred letter as a matter of urgency.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You cant really overlook it.

In my opinion. send the statute barred letter and see what comes back. If they say you made a payment in november 2007 or march 2008 then i guarantee it is Statute barred.

Remember the golden rule of dealing with debts. It is up to them to prove you owe anything. Not for you to prove you dont. Thats why you send the SB letter.

Thanks for the advice. I accidentally binned the letter so don't have the reference number. I just edited the letter and replaced the reference with just my name. I assume they will find me. Just to reiterate, they have tried to contact me in 6 years, but I haven't contacted them or paid anything in 6 years. Does that still qualify as SB?

Hi benzuko,

If you'd like me to help you with getting to the bottom of things here could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK

• 1 month later...

Hi did you get this sorted ? if so what was the outcome thanks

Oh and another thing, if it turns out its not SB does that mean that with that letter im acknowledging the debt and I have to wait another 6 years. Sorry to harp on but im worrying about this.

You must have paid or acknowledged the debt as yours within that time for it not to be statute barred. Them writing to you every day doesnt change the date when you last paid something. Tell them that it is SB and let them prove otherwise. If they claim it isnt write to them and ask for a statement of account and look for the phantom £15 payment (always seems to be the same erroneous amount on every account) and if it is there challenge them as to how it was paid and by whom. That kills it. They may also say that it is not SB because it was assigned on such a date but that is not the right measure, it is when the debt became payable which is normally a month after the last bill or payment.