What Benefits ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had the same problem as myself.

I left the forces in 2002 after serving 22years, I ran my own business for 8 years but the recession took hold and I could not carry on any longer due to cashflow etc.

I managed to get paid employment until the company went bankrupt about 16 months later and I am now unemployed. When I first lost my job I went to the job centre and registered etc, however, when I explained that after 22years of service I was now in receipt of a military pension, £540 per month, I was informed that I was not entitled to claim a penny. No job seekers allowance, no assistance with rent etc, nothing. Surely there must be a way around this as we just simply cannot survive on this amount of money. I am married and have one dependant child. We are living with my in laws at the moment which is far from perfect.

Please don't get me wrong, both my wife and I are looking for work as we always have done but there just seems to be nothing about at the moment.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

This doesn't sound right. Your pension counts as income, but isn't a bar to benefits, which is what seems to have been suggested.

CAB Money Advisers give priority to veterans under a RBL arrangement.

If you've got time on your hands (because they take ages to answer their phones), the SPVA Veterans Helpline should be able to advise you: 0800 169 2277

For work, have a look at http://www.rfea.org.uk/; they've changed a lot in the last couple of years.

Thanks for your reply ScarletPimpernel, if I remember correctly, through the red mist, I was told that my pension took me above the threshold for housing allowance and because I was not receiving housing allowance I was not eligable for job seekers allowance or vice versa ? I will double check though with the agencies above, thank you.

Hopefully won't need any benefits if my wife or I get work soon ;-)

Ther are other benefits you can claim and there is an icome based aspect to ESA that will take into account your pension and circumstances. You will have a problem with living at your in-laws as they may be deemed to be supporting you even if they are not. The social security system favours those who do the least for themselves I'm afraid.