Mis-Guided on Leasehold sale?

cfcboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Im having a real struggle with the sale of a leasehold masionette I own.

So I originally purchased at the value of £175k as a leasehold. As it was my first ever purchase I wasnt exactly "street wise" when it came to the buying.

The leasehold currently has 71 years to run but at the time of purchase I was not informed that anything under 80 years would have serious issues when it came to either extending the lease or selling the property. Neither my financial advisor, estate agent or solicitor mentioned the potential costs (being quoted £13k to extend by 90 years!) and this has obviously come back to bite in a big way. Ive checked all the documents and not anywhere does it highlight its an issue through either solicitor of FA.

Probbaly a little late in the day now but do I somehow have a case? If I do how and where do I pursue?

Really feel like all three parties saw me coming, I had a big pot of inheitence to lay down but now the money from my fathers death is going to be wasted on paying an extension of a poxy leasehold!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you paid for a full survey, the surveyor should certainly have highlighted this in his report and imo you would have a case against him and also possibly your conveyancing solicitor. How recently did you purchase the property? if in the last few years I am suprised if you managed to obtain a mortgage without this being raised

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

when was the property purchased?

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

In view of when the property was purchased, and the fact that the survey noted the lease term, imo your complaint would be against your conveyancing solicitor, who should surely have picked up on and warned you about this issue. At your solicitors practice there will be a designated complaints handler to who you should send your initial complaint. The Legal Ombudsman website has much more info on how to go about and progress your complaint, and also an excellent complaint template letter that you could adapt and use in the first instance