• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

National Service Bill

rds60h
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Conservative MP for Kettering Philip Hollobone proposed the National Service Bill and there is an e-petition against the Bill.

I have started an e-petition in support of the Bill, because I believe that it could be a saviour for Britain,as it would provide a solution to Youth Unemployment, instill a respect for authority that has been lost, teach youngsters discipline and give them a work ethic by providing a structure to their daily life and it would also give many a direction for a trade after their service.

If the National Service was compulsory then it would also discourage those wishing to migrate to Britain as a soft option, thus reducing costs to the Benefits System, the National Health Service and the Education System and also increase the Social Housing stock.

Having done their Nation Service the youngsters should return back into civilian life with discipline, respect and a work ethic, so this should also help to prepare them for a working life and also help reduce crime.

If you wish to sign the e-petition in support of the National Service Bill please go to this link :: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/54710

I would also appreciate it if you could post the link in any other forums or social media sites that you visit.

Thank you very much for your help.

If you wish to read the National Service Bill in full then it can be found here :: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2013-2014/0032/cbill_2013-20140032_en_2.htm#l1g1

This post has been promoted to an article
Edited by citizenB

Two threads merged.

I am actually in favour of this bill.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mil_con-military-conscription

The list above is at 1997, I think. France and Germany appeared to have conscription still. I cant find any data current as of 2013.

Ooh, I think Switzerland may still have Mandatory service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Switzerland

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Germany - taken from Wikipedia

Germany had conscription (Wehrpflicht) for male citizens between 1956 and 2011. On 22 November 2010, the German Minister of Defence proposed to the government to put conscription into abeyance on 1 July 2011.[1] The constitution, however, retains provisions that would legalize the potential reintroduction of conscription.

BCOBS

It would never work. Too many either wouldn't be bothered to turn up or would claim 'against me umin rights init'.

The idea could be good but where are they going to be employed and who is going to pay them. The idea is to reduce the state bill not increase it.

Sorry, im dead set against Forced enlistment in the military. It should only be done at a time of war. There are plenty of other ways to punish youngsters who get out of line.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sorry, im dead set against Forced enlistment in the military. It should only be done at a time of war. There are plenty of other ways to punish youngsters who get out of line.

I don't think the suggestion is that it is a punishment, Imp.. but more in the way of education/apprenticeship opportunity. At the moment we have youngsters who are neither in education or employment. Without hope if you will.

If you think about it, those who apply for JSA, are pretty much forced into applying for work or training schemes. You only have to look at the Ingeus thread to see how that is working out ? The only difference is that they go home at night !!

BCOBS

If they are kept away from the regular military and it is purely a military boot am style course, then yes. But Any other and im still dead set against it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Forced Military service is nothing more than slave labour. When it comes to forcing people to do ANYTHING, unless it is their job or is a punishment, then i will always be against it.

And who is going to compensate all the c companies who have 18 to 26 year olds in their employment who are just goings be whisked away? Anyway it won't happen for 2 reasons. Firstly the ECHR only allows an exception for military service conscription and not civil service conscription as tis bill proposes,and secondly there is nothing in the bill to force people to do it, ie is the goverment going to send 1000s if not hundreds of 1000s to jail when thy refuse to do it? Nope.

To get a bill past the house of lords and get royal assent, it will be watered down, but just before it gets passed, there will be a provision in it to amend it at a later date. Normally something under the guise of war. It might sound far fetched, but look what they did with the terrorist laws, and how various councils are using them.

Having been in the services it must be remembered that many youngsters today are reliant on Mummy & Daddy to do everything for them and to drag them away to be subjected to "bullying" will result in mental anguish and a huge welfare bill afterwards. When we had conscription I used to see decent youngsters leaving and returning as men having seen warfare, but with a very hardened attitude towards life and a lot of them turned to alcohol to forget.

Try living in a war zone and then relaxing when you return to civilian life. It took me 6 months to get used to not having a weapon in the same room as myself and not to jump at loud sounds. In today's life many youngsters through no fault of their own would not be able to cope and would prefer to commit suicide. National service training does induce some sort of discipline in you and make you self reliant which is good, but the downsides outweigh the ups.

I wonder if those who advocate the return of national service have actually been conscripted previously or done military service?

YES many year & initially unit was made up of National Service chaps and most were a bally brilliant bunch/comrade, we in 50s were appprentices, but I joined Boys service from that and met many chaps who were drafted into Nat Service and they returned to their chosen apprenticship on discharge, and employers as now with Reservist approached the matter responsibly.

It also cut away apron strings!

Those who went thru it know the real meaning of the above.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Before making comments about military training and being sent to war, it would be a good idea to actually read the Bill, because there you will see comments like this :: National Service Bill Page 2

Regulations shall also provide that the scheme shall include—

(a)a residential element, requiring that participants live away from home; and (b)an element of public service, comprising one or more of the following to be chosen by the individual — (i)charitable work, (ii)social action, (iii)care for the elderly or disabled, (iv)overseas development activity, or (v)work connected with the National Health Service, the emergency services or the Armed Forces.

AND

Scope of the scheme

Regulations shall provide that the scheme must extend the scope of the National Citizen Service and include the following elements—

(a)educational assistance for those participants who have yet to attain basic educational requirements of reading and writing in English and mathematics;

(b)coaching and instruction to attain basic levels of physical fitness, personal discipline, smart appearance, self respect and respect for others; ©instruction in personal financial budgeting, household bills, nutrition, cooking, time keeping, life skills, tolerance towards others, treating elderly and disabled people with dignity and respect; and (d)instruction in basic aspects of the law in relation to the most common offences involving young people.

This is a world away from what people are imagining and so they are making knee jerk reactions to the words "National Service" instead of considering what it involves.

And what will happen to those who dont want to do the service for various reasons? That seems to have been ignored.

And for those who talk about cutting the apron strings etc etc, thats a parental issue. The child shouldnt have to be forced into service simply to make the goverment and its statistics look good.

Before making comments about military training and being sent to war, it would be a good idea to actually read the Bill, because there you will see comments like this :: National Service Bill Page 2

(a)a residential element, requiring that participants live away from home; and (b)an element of public service, comprising one or more of the following to be chosen by the individual — (i)charitable work, (ii)social action, (iii)care for the elderly or disabled, (iv)overseas development activity, or (v)work connected with the National Health Service, the emergency services or the Armed Forces.

AND

Scope of the scheme

Regulations shall provide that the scheme must extend the scope of the National Citizen Service and include the following elements—

(a)educational assistance for those participants who have yet to attain basic educational requirements of reading and writing in English and mathematics;

(b)coaching and instruction to attain basic levels of physical fitness, personal discipline, smart appearance, self respect and respect for others; ©instruction in personal financial budgeting, household bills, nutrition, cooking, time keeping, life skills, tolerance towards others, treating elderly and disabled people with dignity and respect; and (d)instruction in basic aspects of the law in relation to the most common offences involving young people.

This is a world away from what people are imagining and so they are making knee jerk reactions to the words "National Service" instead of considering what it involves.

It might have been a good idea to have explained what it was all about in your first post so others knew what you were really talking about.

And who is going to compensate all the c companies who have 18 to 26 year olds in their employment who are just goings be whisked away? Anyway it won't happen for 2 reasons. Firstly the ECHR only allows an exception for military service conscription and not civil service conscription as tis bill proposes,and secondly there is nothing in the bill to force people to do it, ie is the goverment going to send 1000s if not hundreds of 1000s to jail when thy refuse to do it? Nope.

On the first point - companies already receive extremely generous compensation from the taxpayer, and may not make any form of contribution. When companies start to make a modest contribution towards College/University Training, including a Statutory Obligation to pay a Training Levy if they dont provide either placement or sponsorship for candidates at College or University, then We may take note of any companies who complain.

Having been in the services it must be remembered that many youngsters today are reliant on Mummy & Daddy to do everything for them and to drag them away to be subjected to "bullying" will result in mental anguish and a huge welfare bill afterwards. When we had conscription I used to see decent youngsters leaving and returning as men having seen warfare, but with a very hardened attitude towards life and a lot of them turned to alcohol to forget.

Try living in a war zone and then relaxing when you return to civilian life. It took me 6 months to get used to not having a weapon in the same room as myself and not to jump at loud sounds. In today's life many youngsters through no fault of their own would not be able to cope and would prefer to commit suicide. National service training does induce some sort of discipline in you and make you self reliant which is good, but the downsides outweigh the ups.

I wonder if those who advocate the return of national service have actually been conscripted previously or done military service?

If many youngsters are indeed reliant on "mummy and daddy to do everything for them", with their grandparents more likely than not required to do National Service after WW2, the experience cannot have been that good in providing those conscripted with a basic level of education where rearing families are concerned. Unfortunately, the children reared by National Service Parents may have acquired bad traits and habits, which were then passed down onto their own children - with some accusing such children as being "reliant on mummy and daddy to do everything for them".

AND

Scope of the scheme

What a load of tosh! Are these conscripts going to be doing it for free or will it be slave labour? This will be funded from the taxpayer's pocket and it will make a huge dent in the national budget. This type of thinking is akin to Keynesian economics!

First, to answer Coniff "It might have been a good idea to have explained what it was all about in your first post so others knew what you were really talking about."

As I said if my post had been fully read instead of just reactions to "National Service" there is a link to the Bill at the bottom of my post.

RenegadeImp "And what will happen to those who dont want to do the service for various reasons? That seems to have been ignored"

There will no doubt be those who don't want to do service for various reasons, just as there are those who don't want to work either, that is one of the reasons why "National" Service, they are not being ignored they are being expected to do the same as everyone else.

Surfer01 "Are these conscripts going to be doing it for free or will it be slave labour? This will be funded from the taxpayer's pocket and it will make a huge dent in the national budget. "

The Bill states they will be paid the National Minimum Wage during service so not slave labour, yes it will be funded by the taxpayer, as is the Benefits System which many of these youngster's are claiming and absolute fortunes have been spent on all sorts of Consultations, Commissions, Committees, Advisory Boards and Think Tanks to come up with solutions to the unemployment problems.

As for your remark about this being akin to "Keynesian Economics" the actual basic theory of "one person's spending goes towards another person's earnings, and when that person spends his or her earnings, he or she is, in effect, supporting another person's earnings. This cycle continues on and helps support a normal, functioning economy." is what actually happens.

However, flooding the Economy with Government money to kick start a slow depressed economy as the Economist Keynes suggested during the American Depression is not the answer. But investment on improvements for the future instead of money hoarding is the right direction to go, and I believe that this is investing in the future.

Edited by Conniff

There will no doubt be those who don't want to do service for various reasons, just as there are those who don't want to work either, that is one of the reasons why "National" Service, they are not being ignored they are being expected to do the same as everyone else.

So forced labour then? Gotcha. Sorry, i will always be against something that forces a person, especially a child to gie up a good part of their youth, just to satisfy the ego of politicians. It's no different than a dictatorship.

You watch if this terrible idea does become reality. 2-3 months after it starts, the government will be claiming success as the youth unemployment rate has dropped to an all time low. Simply because they told kids they have to go to National service under penalty of heavy fines or jail time. It is nothing more than a statistical exercise, invented by a completely inept goverment.

national service/forced conscription should NEVER be an option. Ever. Just because the people who had the idea were forced into it when they were young, doesnt give them any right at all to force the kids of today into it.

Surely this pathetic bill removes freedom of choice for which are forefathers fought long and hard to attain. The bill is basically saying that youngsters are incapable of getting a job so we will put them in a job. I wonder if the dim witted short sighted idiots that thought up this bill have ever done National Service or ever been conscripted? I wonder if they have ever done any military service? I am not sure about the references to a "Bill" as there is no bill!

Agreed surfer. The sad thing is that there are people actually agreeing with this proposal, instead of taking responsibility for their actions and bringing up youngsters properly.