Bus lane PCN - York Council/Lendal Bridge **Appeal Upheld**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's what I've said. Everyone caught before the signs change , get your claims in. Even if you've paid.

I understand they may even be accepting those that have already paid!

Aaaah.. apologies didn't have time to read every post wanted to promote the Radio York interview.Could be yet another loss of Council tax payers money

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry got to this late and so missed Radio on iplayer. Are they saying they will definitely uphold claims.

Also have other people definitely been successful due to incorrect signage, as you are the only person as far as I am aware. I want to appeal just a bit concerned that £30 couod turn into £120!

Sorry got to this late and so missed Radio on iplayer. Are they saying they will definitely uphold claims.

Also have other people definitely been successful due to incorrect signage, as you are the only person as far as I am aware. I want to appeal just a bit concerned that £30 couod turn into £120!

iirc They just had the standard reply to that - There is a fair procedure - etc etc.My point was by changing yet again it's an admission the signs are / were inadequete but probably means a possible lengthy and expensive process to prove it.

There's 3 of us that I know of lendAl bridge close page. £30 becomes £60 if you're appeal isn't upheld.

However it goes to an independent adjudicator in wilmslow and if they are changing the signage what have you got to lose.

I believe in life if you don't stand for something you end up stranding for nothing.

It's a bully boy tactic to charge double if you lose your appeal and they might just be relying on scaring people off with that.

Thought you may be interested in this ! http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10866583.Lendal_Bridge_and_Coppergate_fines_waived/

Would appear reading the comments there are new Matrix signs installed.....and may be flawed too !!!!!!

11:51am Tue 10 Dec 13

The new matrix sign next to the statue at the end of Leeman Road is ridiculous.

It says Lendal bridge closed, 1030 am to 5 pm

Then a massive flashing arrow pointing you into the lane that takes you over Lendal Bridge.

Which numptys are in charge here.

You are sending them deliberately over the bridge.

Not seen this personally.

Edited by frickshan

York press have an article on people getting their lendal bridge PCN s waived.

Hardly a flood

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10866583.Lendal_Bridge_and_Coppergate_fines_waived/

But my advice is even if you've paid it's still worth getting in your appeal

Perhaps the gates are beginning to open?http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10873046.Almost_1_700_Lendal_Bridge_fines_waived/

This mornings latest.

Two PCNs (25th and 26th Nov) waived today by YCC.

Thanks for organising this thread - if I hadn't found it when I got the first PCN and searched for "Lendal Bridge", I might have felt compelled to pay

Text of letter in case it's useful to anyone else (NB caught before they apparently changed the signs)...

"I have received a Penalty Charge Notice for apparently driving in a bus lane while visiting York. I don’t believe this fine is valid as there were no clear indications that I would be entering a bus lane. I certainly did not drive on any road with BUS LANE’ painted on it.

As a visitor to York, I am unfamiliar with the city so I had to do some research to investigate where this might have taken place. After viewing maps online, I believe the signage and markings indicating the bus restrictions are totally inadequate.

I spotted one sign (a large yellow sign indicating that “Lendal Bridge was closed to traffic except buses”: this sign was actually ON the bridge (which I now know to be Lendal Bridge). The sign resembled those used to indicate roadworks or a diversion; i.e. signs intended to be advisory or to assist drivers, rather than to prohibit access. Accordingly, I was prepared to meet further signs indicating where I could/couldn’t drive – not realizing that I was already on the bridge!

The sign did not state that I was about to drive on a bus lane, as one might expect. There were no blue signs indicating bus lane – commonly used in other cities (and, I believe, REQUIRED to indicate a bus lane). Additionally, the road itself should have been painted with the words “BUS LANE” – this is common in every other city I have visited, even when the bus lane is in operation during limited hours.

Given that the sign was at the entrance to the bridge, one might reasonably expect it to have read “THIS bridge closed to traffic…” - how are people who are not from York supposed to know where Lendal Bridge is?

It is apparent from further investigation that other signs were poorly located. One behind a bus stop, another at a busy junction where drivers who are not familiar with the city will be turning right onto the road approaching Lendal Bridge - with no opportunity to change their route.

I understand that York City Council have had to change the signage for this restriction at least twice (and since I was photographed crossing the bridge). This itself indicates that the signage at the time was inadequate. I drive extensively - both in the UK and abroad - and have never once contravened a bus lane. I do not believe I should be liable for this charge."

Question: next time I visit York (if there is a next time!) what how do I get across town without using the bridge?

A very excellent and concise letter Shaun. If you don't mind I'm going to copy it to say no to lendal bridge close and stop lendal bridge con both on Facebook.

Thank you so much for that and I am delighted that you had the fines that you shouldn't have got in the first place...waived!

I opened my mail this morning to find I had been fined £55.00 for inadvertently crossing this bridge, (the £30 fine plus £25 admin fee from the those robbers at Enterprise. I drive a works van and my company stumped up the fine without consulting me.)

I hadn't been in York for over a year and that route out is the one I had always taken to get out of the city and head back towards the A19.

It occoured on the 21st Nov. It was 1445, drizzly and like most people I was concentrating on the traffic/pedestrians and didn't see any signs. When I opened the letter I had no idea where Lendal bridge was. When did they change the signs?

Typical of a Labour council.

I approached from the station direction. What's the view of the signs at that end?

Cheers, LG.

.the new restriction is being trialled and started August bank holiday weekend.

Because of the fiasco with the signs and the publicity in York press with people appealing, the council changed the signage slightly I believe around the beg of dec.

As yours happened on nov 21 you have an excellent chance of appealing and winning .. You need to go to facebooks say no to lendal bridge close. There's loads of info on there. Look in photos and acquaint yourself with the signs that were in place on your visit. Look for chris counters post he's printed why it is an illegal bus lane and one or two have printed appeal letters.

If you pay or have already done so...it's still worth fighting it.

Also look out for links to the epetition , please sign and share it. It's only at 450 and it needs to get to 100,000

We will do it, once people know about it

And when you have your money back, please help others.

Do go after your lease company also

Yep, I've just received a PCN for an alleged offence on 15th December when I visited York for the weekend. Was using the SATNAV on a Sunday morning from the Monk Bar Hotel to the Railway museum. Didn't see any signs, nothing in the road to say you are in a bus lane which would give you a clue. My photo of my alleged offence even had another motorist immediately in front of me who had obviously made the same mistake. I spent over £800 in the City that weekend on hotels, food and shopping and visit about every three years. Don't think I will be coming back again as I don't like being conned. Too many of these cash cows about at the moment. Have signed the online petition and I will be appealing!

So sorry to hear that. Such a shocker! I think you need to send your letter to the local paper also. Just let the people know how much trade they are losing. It's called the York press. The more people wo write in the better. There is also another Facebook page called stop lendal bridge con started by Danny banner. He might be able to help with some up to date pictures since the council changed the signs slightly . My knowledge only goes up to the beginning of dec. that's why it's important to join the Facebook pages as they is more up to date information on there . Good luck,

I've signed up to the on line petition and I also filled in the York Council questionnaire. I will also send a letter to the local newspaper as well. I think things like this will do no end of damage to the York's tourism as people who genuinely get conned by these cash cows do not return again.

Yes I have looked at Facebook and the pictures of the signs from the Museum Street end. I'm just writing up my thesis on this alleged contravention of a bus lane. Briefly, I have looked at rule 141 of the Highway code and the signs for Bus Lanes. In my opinion what York Council have is not a bus lane. The road should be clearly marked with the words "Bus Lane" and there were no blue signs giving the restrictions and times of operation from the direction of Museum Street. They clearly quote Code 34j as the offence "Being in a Bus Lane during the hours of operation". The guide to the contravention of codes 33 and 34 states that "These contraventions relate to routes restricted to certain vehicles like cycles. The restrictions are shown on signs with white diagrams on blue backgrounds". As Lendal Bridge clearly does not have these signs and road markings, as a former police officer it is my opinion they do not have a Bus Lane that clearly conforms to the Highway Code, so there is no offence. That will be my defence!

Excellent. Thanks for that. You ought to team up with Denis emery on there , stop lendal bridge close, he is also a former traffic police officer.

I'm waiting for a barrister to get caught who will bang the council into court.

I cannot understand how this council can get away with something isnot legal. Isn't that why they people huge salaries to check this stuff out?

How can they legally sit back and watch the money roll in when they know they are operating a huge [problem].

Once they paid back one person the money or waived the first appeal ....that should be it....game over.

I'm a pretty logical person so to me anything else doesn't make sense!