legalcare.co .uk help please

Paschal98
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been caught out in precisely the same way as almost everyone else on this thread (and the related ones on MSE and elsewhere.)

Today I submitted a report about Legalcare's conduct to Action Fraud and BBC Watchdog, and would urge others to do the same.

Although several forum members are rightly pointing out that Legalcare have some claim to legality with regard to their T&Cs,

it seems to me equally clear that their aim is to ensnare people

- especially vulnerable people, who are in urgent need of legal advice but cannot afford a solicitor

- in order to obtain their financial details, and then force victims of their 'sting' to pay disproportionate sums for services that may not ever have been used.

This may not constitute fraudulent activity in everyone's eyes,

but I believe Legalcare's operations need to be investigated.

Hi Paschal and welcome to CAG

Your post has been moved into the general Legalcare thread as the thread where you posted was about a Legalcare court claim and is being kept as focused as possible.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

own thread created

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 weeks later...

Like others here,

I will be interested to hear how Danielle's mediation works out on Friday and wish her well for that.

Unlike most others here,

I must confess to having failed to cancel (either by Paypal or via the LC website) within the 14 day period.

This was my mistake, as I was caught up in a difficult property transaction and simply forgot.

The LC answer to my query was useless, but I had so much on my mind at that time that I was only dimly aware of the T&Cs.

LC recently texted me to say they are passing the matter to the debt collectors.

I have reported them to Action Fraud and BBC Watchdog, and my prime reason for not wishing to pay the £278 is that,

by doing so, I feel that I am

a) supporting and financing what I regard as fraudulent activity, and

b) betraying others who are making a stand, and weakening their chances of winning their case.

However, I am not sure if my circumstances make it worthwhile letting LC pursue me to the small claims court.

If a solicitor thought he could win the case, I would far rather pay him or her a greater sum,

if only to prevent LC profiting from their unpleasant tactics.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Hi Paschal,

If you failed to cancel within the 14 days and have still not cancelled, you should continue to pay.

If you feel the LC site failed to make it clear that you were entering a 12 month agreement, or you have another reason to feel they treated you poorly (eg, because their advice was poor), then you should cancel asap and put the matter of payment in dispute.

Perhaps say you want to cancel now and offer to make the payments due up to the current date.

Keep an eye on Danielle's thread to see what progress is made.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I agree with slick. If you knew you were entering into a 12 month contract, and you knew there was a 14 day cancellation period, and you did not cancel during the period ... then it is very difficult to see how you would have a Defence here.

There is nothing inherently fraudulent about asking people to sign up to a 12month contract paid monthly. The questionable aspects are where the nature of the contract is not clear, or if the company imposes unreasonable restrictions on cancellation during the 14 day period.

Thanks very much for the comments. To clarify slick's query, I was caught up in a house move after my initial contact with LC and only remembered about them when I received notification that £19 had been taken from my Paypal account and I was now liable for the full year's subscription. I cancelled at once via both Paypal and the LC website, but was informed by automated e-mail that this was too late and I now had to pay the full amount.

I appreciate that LC operate within the bounds of legality, but I find their entire set-up, communications and procedures thoroughly disreputable and in nowise consistent with any respectable form of professional business.

Perhaps, given the error I made, my only course of action is indeed to hand over the £278 that they are demanding. I have received nothing in return, and the bitterness I would feel at doing so is the price I have to pay for my carelessness. It seems wrong, however, to be encouraging LC's financial [problem] and maybe supporting them in their vindictive pursuit of other victims who are quite blameless (compared to me) but who might get bullied into paying because of the threat of debt collectors and court claims.

Hi Paschal,

It's not clear if they are acting within the bounds of legality - this can only be decided by a (higher) court.

If you did not realise you were committed to a 12 month agreement because the site's T&C's were not clear, you may have grounds to dispute the payments.

If you think you have grounds to dispute your commitment to a 12 month agreement, tell them in writing.

As said before, watch Danielle's case.