Walked off left unregistered Oyster card with inspector

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I hope you are able to help. At an arrival station I tried to tap out and realised that my card had insufficient funds.

I approached the guard who took my oyster card and asked some preliminary questions, but didn't get my details. I explained I had forgot to tap in so didn't know until I arrived that the card needed topping up.

The line was long, I was late for work, the gate was open and in a moment of uncharacteristic rebellion I walked off. I appreciate that this is a case of outright fare evasion in their eyes. But what I would like to determine is.

The card is unregistered but I have topped it up with a debit card in the past. Can/will they trace me and prosecute by tracking the debit card used on the Oyster?

I am debating whether to go back and pay or if that is just inviting more trouble on myself.

Thanks,

KW

The card is unregistered but I have topped it up with a debit card in the past. Can/will they trace me and prosecute by tracking the debit card used on the Oyster?

If they choose to do so, yes, they can trace the cardholder's name via the last top-up payment made using it.

The line was long, I was late for work, the gate was open and in a moment of uncharacteristic rebellion I walked off. I appreciate that this is a case of outright fare evasion in their eyes.

Having travelled, but not paid and then having made of without payment whilst being questioned, you have made the matter a whole lot worse than it might have been.

'Bilking' is a serious offence. If you are detected on the same route tomorrow (or in the near future) you can expect to be stopped and questioned more thoroughly. Had a Police Officer been present you would have been stopped and probably arrested.

Inspectors may target you by looking for you passing through that station, or using the route over the next few weeks.

You may be lucky, they may have many other matters to deal with, but don't be surprised if you are recognised at some point and this catches up with you

Thanks for your help. Does anyone know of any examples where they have used debit payment details on an unregistered oyster card to trace a 'bilker'?

And would turning myself in result in clemency in this kind of situation or should I just stay away?

Edited by Kiwiwoman

Hello and welcome to CAG.

OC has very long experience of the rail industry and if he says paying would be a good idea, then I personally would do that. If you work here, you could well be detected and then you will have other problems. Being summonsed is not funny at all and will cost a lot more.

Judging by your name, you could be a visitor here, I can't remember if a conviction for fare evasion would impact on a Visa application.

There was a programme on BBC2 a while back about the computer sytems for Oyster and they looked pretty sophisticated to me.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you both. Very kind. Went back to the station and fessed up. The guy wasn't there so I explained and they sold me a standard fare ticket for today. Tomorrow the guy will be back in so I will throw myself at his mercy and hopefully avoid big trouble.

I hope it works for you, KW. :)

You may well receive other views here, but in my experience as a lay person on this forum, arguing or trying to be clever rarely seems to work. The rail companies have a mass of law behind them.

Please let us know how it goes.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum