Reclaiming VAT on building work

Mr.P
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My turn to ask for some advice :-)

Need to convert a space in to a shower & toilet for the use of a disabled relative - She has recently been registered blind and is beginning to suffer from mobility issues. Not yet confined to a wheelchair and still able to wash without assistance.

Have had some outlandish quotes to do the installation and a couple that are within budget, however, not one (until today) has mentioned that I might qualify for VAT relief. The quote I'm tempted to go for, the contractor is not VAT registered, so the question is: Would it be possible to reclaim the VAT, either in part or in full on the materials used from HMRC ?

I suspect I'm probably going to have to contact HMRC on Monday, but I thought I'd throw it out to a wider audience to see if anyone has had a similar experience..

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

A building contractor not registered for vat? Be careful. he could be avoiding HMRC and using "tax relief" as an excuse to give you a cheap quote so he can undercut someone and get quick money.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

To be fair, it was a VAT registered company quoting at the top end that mentioned VAT relief. I'm looking at possible ways of reducing the final bill and still getting a decent job done - If I can get local trades people in and claw the VAT back on materials, that would save me around £200... Not a huge amount, but I could then use the money on other things like access ramps and paving.

I appreciate the subtle warning - Had dealings with dodgy traders in the past so am not going for any Arfer Daley deals.

Hello there.

You don't say what age this relative is, but you might be able to get advice from someone like Age UK, who you'd expect to have people asking about the same thing.

I rang them about a different problem for my mother and they were good.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

You don't say what age this relative is, but you might be able to get advice from someone like Age UK, who you'd expect to have people asking about the same thing.

Rang my local Age UK office and they couldn't give me a definitive answer, only a "maybe, but we don't really know...". Finally got through to HMRC (they have a dedicated help line for charities & disabilty queries). As the end user is registered blind, she qualifies for zero VAT on the building work and fittings. As I will be acting as the main contractor & site supervisor, I will have to negotiate with the suppliers and trades people myself and provide them with the VAT exemption papers - Already contacted some of the suppliers and they seem to be aware of the VAT situation and are willing to work with me to reduce the total cost. :whoo:

Just need to get the plumber, electrician, tiler, and grunt worker on board.