SWINTON Van insurance issue.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically i used comparethemarket.com to get a quote. I put the reg of the vehicle in the search box and it came back as a totally different vehicle.

So i manually put the vans details in and even then there was no match for my exact vehicle. I have told Swinton this and they told me to contact the DVLA. To which i did, they told me the system they use was correct and my vehicle matched there records so that leaves me thinking that comparethemarket.com system is wrong.

Now this is the juicy bit. I have had to make a claim as a stolen vehicle has hit my vehicle. It will be written off no doubt. Will my insurance be invalid if there is a difference in the wording of my vehicle body description?

I have a 1997 ford transit td swb transit (minibus)

it is insured as a 1997 ford transit 100 76hp semi hi roof (nearest accurate description i could find.)

Im stuck in the middle to what to do. DVLA are happy and there system is fine, Swinton are saying DVLA are wrong and i think whatever system Comparethemarket use is wrong.

Please help and advise and thank you all for reading and helping.

Michael

forgot to add there are no rear seats in the van it is empty and used as a van, The windows on it may cause an issue, However i am sure the vehicle finding system should have picked this up. According to the system my van is a flat bed vehicle.

I don't see this as an issue at all, unless Swintons underwriters do not Insure the van that you actually have. I would suggest that you ask DVLA for something in writing to confirm what information they provided to Insurers at the time, regarding the type of vehicle the reg no. would have picked up. The original dealer would have registered the vehicle against the reg no, so this would have been the basis of the information. The DVLA then provide all Insurers with regular updates with the information, so when you key the reg no. it should add the correct vehicle. If the Insurers system does not recognise the reg no. then you would select which was the correct vehicle manually. If the vehicle was missing, you should have phoned the Insurers. If this is your mistake, you should be given the opportunity of paying any additional premium required for the correct vehicle and the claim should not be declined, unless Swinton provide a copy of their underwriting guidelines to show they don't cover the type of vehicle.

See how Swinton reply. If you have a problem, make a complaint to them and get the FOS involved if you need to. Unfortunately, you have picked one of the worst companies for commonsense handling of complaints.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have a sneaky feeling the underwriters wont pay up, I have just did another quote on line with same details but changed to van variation to other. In the results page Swintons does not show up and give a price. However if i did this the 1st time around i would have found a cheaper quote by another insurer.

If the insurance is invalid will i inncur storage costs and recovery costs of vehicle?

UPDATE HELP!

Been to the CAB today and they were brilliantly useless.

My concern is the log book on my vehicle states the following. model= transit td swb auto boby type= minibus taxation class= plg (Rang DVLA and all confirmed to be correct)

Now when i was using price comparison website my vehicle came back as a Ford transit flareside when i entered number plate reg.

So i manually enter the vehicle in but my exact logbook description was not available so i got the nearest i could. I have since made Swinton Insurance aware of this and they said i had to contact the DVLA. Now where do i stand on this. My van has side windows but no seats in it. I use it as a van.

Will Swinton void my insurance over this? The price comparison website did not show minibus in drop down menu. It only had other which i did not select. I selected van.

Finally i have done a quote with same description but selected other and my insurer Swinton did not give a quote in the quote page. Have i reason to worry? That i have nulled my insurance?

Thanks in advance