• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NCO Europe solicitor and an old orange debt

Kikita
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When providing a DCA with an I/E form,

what sort of stuff is considered reasonable or necessary?

As I'm currently on JSA but live with parents so I'm not a main bill payer for the main stuff,

but I do pay my parents weekly with what I can afford and I pay for a lot of stuff for myself, food etc and hardly seem to have much left over.

The balance of the debt is £250 and I've proposed £1 or £2 a month until my circumstances change

but my I/E form seems to suggest I have lots of money left over when it's not the case in reality.

And how much of your disposable income do they expect you to pay creditors with? not all of it surely? how about emergencies etc?

just don't want to paint the wrong picture to the DCA and them thinking I can afford more than £1 or £2 when i would struggle to do so when it came down to it.

Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to have a word with National Debtline, as they will be able to advise exactly what you can and cant claim for. Usually you would be looking to pay all priority spending such as

mortgage/ rent

utilities - water - electricitiy - gas

telephone

Council Tax

food

Household cleaning stuff

laundry

travel

vehicle/petrol

I have attached a budget sheet below for you, but feel you might be better off having Nat Debt help you produce a Common Financial Statement (budget sheet) :)

Ellens Budget Sheet.xls

• Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you. When you say 'telephone' I don't pay for the land-line, but could I put my mobile phone expenditure? Also something I didn't see in your post, how about Internet? Needed for job applications and stuff.

Shower Gel, Toothpaste, Mouthwash etc - things I all pay for and if I didn't I wouldn't have them.... so it's essential but doesn't look it when compared to most of the stuff you listed.

dca's have no legal right at all to see your pers financial information

only a judge can demand that.

whats the debt all about?

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you. When you say 'telephone' I don't pay for the land-line, but could I put my mobile phone expenditure? Also something I didn't see in your post, how about Internet? Needed for job applications and stuff.

Shower Gel, Toothpaste, Mouthwash etc - things I all pay for and if I didn't I wouldn't have them.... so it's essential but doesn't look it when compared to most of the stuff you listed.

Internet/phone yes.. essential :)

So is personal hygiene so you would put down a small allowance for those items :)

Things they might not be keen to see on an I&E would be....

A huge sum for "entertainment/holidays"

Designer clothes ? You are allowed to put an amount for clothes

You can include an amount for hairdresser/barber.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Excellent, thank you.

The debt is for a mobile phone contract which I am liable for and have no qualms about the amount, I was just foolish and adopted the "ignore and hope it goes away" mentality which is stupid I know.

I know DCAs have no legal right to the info only a judge, but it has got quite far now and have had a letter before court action through my door and I would prefer to give them the info, rather than risk a CCJ if I can help it.

I also have other creditors but I am ok with them as I negotiated a £1 p/m plan at least until my circumstances change.

Do DCAs and/or a judge/court expect that 100% of a persons total disposable income should go towards a creditor?

e.g If I'm offering £1 p/m and my I&E sheet shows that I have £20 'disposable income' (which is never the case on JSA) would they expect significantly more?

Do DCAs and/or a judge/court expect that 100% of a persons total disposable

income should go towards a creditor?

e.g If I'm offering £1 p/m and my

I&E sheet shows that I have £20 'disposable income' (which is never the case

on JSA) would they expect significantly more?

Unfortunately, yes they do.. which is why it is important to ensure that all your essential expenditure is listed/ accounted for.

BCOBS

which is why it is important to ensure that all your essential expenditure is listed/ accounted for.

Yes, true.

A concern I had was my I/E form not being solid enough and my creditor thinking if the offer is only £1 p/m we might aswell file a CCJ and try and get more in court, on the basis of my written I/E form as their evidence.

I gather it is not rare at all for debts with a balance of £250 to have a CCJ applied to it? What is the lowest balance you guys have seen or know of go to court?

Hi there. Creditors have an obligation to give serious consideration to an offer (even one of £1 per month) providing that the figures listed within your budget sheet are fair and reasonable. The industry has 'trigger figures' (sometimes referred to as the common financial statement figures), as so long as your figures fall within the scope of being reasonable you should be OK. The OFT guidelines reinforces this approach.

You can find a CFS compliant budget here: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/debt_advice.php#5

Some creditors do go for judgments for debts as low as £250 although I don't come across it *that* often, and also if you're trying to negotiate reasonable payments you could argue it's unfair for the creditor to take further action.

• Confused 1

Sequenci, is "Ellen's budget sheet" not CFS compliant ? attached in post # 2

BCOBS

Hi there. Creditors have an obligation to give serious consideration to an offer (even one of £1 per month) providing that the figures listed within your budget sheet are fair and reasonable. The industry has 'trigger figures' (sometimes referred to as the common financial statement figures), as so long as your figures fall within the scope of being reasonable you should be OK. The OFT guidelines reinforces this approach.

Some creditors do go for judgments for debts as low as £250 although I don't come across it *that* often, and also if you're trying to negotiate reasonable payments you could argue it's unfair for the creditor to take further action.

Thanks.

Unfortunately for me it's at an advanced stage now and I'm not sure it falls directly under the jurisdiction of a creditor? Does that change things at all? Originally an Orange Debt, then Moorcroft had it, then NCO Europe and now it's in the hands of a solicitors who I presume are acting on behalf of NCO Europe.

They can't have bought a £250 debt for much though?

If all you can afford is £1 per month, then £1 per month it is... If you could only afford £20 a month then thats all you can afford.

DCAs have no right to see I+E and if they request it then you can tell them where to go...

Im getting sick and tired of hearing DCAs go "We can help you but we need to know everything about you"

They have no right to know if you work.... They have no right to know what your total amount of money going in and out is,

They have no right to hassle you and have no right to make obscene requests if it is not viable for the debtor.

Please dont let them cash cow you... Who are the company chasing and who are the original suppliers for the MPD (Mobile phone debt)?

We could do with some help from you.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

It's good, but it's not. Although I can't see a creditor not liking it (it's in the same format as an earlier version)

I've certainly had no reports from courts to say that it'snot acceptable

• Confused 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

When providing a DCA with an I/E form,

what sort of stuff is considered reasonable or necessary?

As I'm currently on JSA but live with parents so I'm not a main bill payer for the main stuff,

but I do pay my parents weekly with what I can afford and I pay for a lot of stuff for myself, food etc and hardly seem to have much left over.

The balance of the debt is £250 and I've proposed £1 or £2 a month until my circumstances change

but my I/E form seems to suggest I have lots of money left over when it's not the case in reality.

And how much of your disposable income do they expect you to pay creditors with? not all of it surely? how about emergencies etc?

just don't want to paint the wrong picture to the DCA and them thinking I can afford more than £1 or £2 when i would struggle to do so when it came down to it.

Cheers

Hi

Are you in receipt of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance ?

If so then you wont have any disposable income based on the CFS, in fact it is unlikely that the CFS allowances will make much sense with Income Based Job Seekers Allowance. It would be a minus Financial Statement if the CFS was applied is my understanding.

Token offers would be the outcome based on the above income and creditors should be aware of this, they see it on a regular basis.

If you are in receipt of Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance, there may be other income, so it may be different.

Maybe check out the CAB Online System, it has industry accepted expenditure allowance guideline figures

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/dmptour.asp

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/

Best Wishes

Edited by Wintry
  • Confused 1

If all you can afford is £1 per month, then £1 per month it is... If you could only afford £20 a month then thats all you can afford.

DCAs have no right to see I+E and if they request it then you can tell them where to go...

Im getting sick and tired of hearing DCAs go "We can help you but we need to know everything about you"

They have no right to know if you work.... They have no right to know what your total amount of money going in and out is,

They have no right to hassle you and have no right to make obscene requests if it is not viable for the debtor.

Please dont let them cash cow you... Who are the company chasing and who are the original suppliers for the MPD (Mobile phone debt)?

Yes, but but what is the alternative? If I just said "All I can afford is £1 p/m" and gave no further information, they would more than likely just apply a CCJ against me, right? They would have nothing to lose.

Like I said it's at an advanced stage and I've had two letters recently. First one letter before action....then a letter before court action so I kind of have to. I'd rather give it to them than go through a CCJ.

Original Mobile Phone Debt = Orange. Then it was Moorcroft, then NCO Europe, now It's in the hands of a solicitors who I presume are acting on behalf of NCO Europe

Hi

Are you in receipt of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance ?

If so then you wont have any disposable income based on the CFS, in fact it is unlikely that the CFS allowances will make much sense with Income Based Job Seekers Allowance. It would be a minus Financial Statement if the CFS was applied is my understanding.

Token offers would be the outcome based on the above income and creditors should be aware of this, they see it on a regular basis.

If you are in receipt of Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance, there may be other income, so it may be different.

Hi, yes it's Income Based JSA that I receive. £56.80 per week I believe.

I live with parents though and I'm not legally responsible for any rent/mortage or council tax, or electricity/gas/water or stuff like that which is the important stuff (although I try and help out even with limited income on benefits)

For all a DCA knows I could be receiving JSA and hardly pay anything out, but that is not the case.

Edited by Kikita

It certainly would if the maximum figures were applied, that's for sure.

Yes, but but what is the alternative? If I just said "All I can afford is £1 p/m" and gave no further information, they would more than likely just apply a CCJ against me, right? They would have nothing to lose.

Like I said it's at an advanced stage and I've had two letters recently. First one letter before action....then a letter before court action so I kind of have to. I'd rather give it to them than go through a CCJ.

Original Mobile Phone Debt = Orange. Then it was Moorcroft, then NCO Europe, now It's in the hands of a solicitors who I presume are acting on behalf of NCO Europe

Hi, yes it's Income Based JSA that I receive. £56.80 per week I believe.

I live with parents though and I'm not legally responsible for any rent/mortage or council tax, or electricity/gas/water or stuff like that which is the important stuff (although I try and help out even with limited income on benefits)

For all a DCA knows I could be receiving JSA and hardly pay anything out, but that is not the case.

Hi

JSA for the under 25's is paid at the lower rate of £56.80 per week which equates to £246 per month.

Creditors and their collection agency buddies know (or should do) that Income Based JSA is the minimum amount the law says you need to live on and token offers is what usually follows and in the real world of basic maths that this ought to be accepted.

They should not question this really but some of them may feel the need so to speak (usually script readers talking rubbish)

You could put up what you spend on here and we could have a look.

If a calculation based on certain industry accepted trigger figures was applied, the allowance for food / housekeeping alone would basically take out all your income, then there is clothing, telephone, travel, contributions to utilities etc.

Expenditure allowances are there as a safety net and to help with accurate smooth running of debt advice / courts / procedures / solutions and rightly so in my opinion, without them chaos and confusion would follow along with silly, nonsense, self interest payment demands and the like.

My opinions

Best Wishes

Edited by Wintry

It certainly would if the maximum figures were applied, that's for sure.

Hi

It would not even need anywhere near to the maximums in this case, unless of course we are talking about an agency that say (for reasons known only to them) recommend figures like £165 per month for housekeeping on an online debt tool)

On the subject of allowances, the MAS are looking at 'harmonising' the CFS & Stepchanges expenditure allowance trigger figures so I hear. I cannot understand what the fuss is about, why don't they all use the independent CFS, if so then all the 'confusion' surrounding would be ended in the stroke of a pen.

Some of us think we know why:)

Also, is it true sequenci that Stepchange get 'some sort' of payment every time someone uses their Debt Remedy Tool? I am only asking, maybe they could come on here and 'brooche' the subject!

The adverts seem to have started again:)

My 'take'

Edited by Wintry

nco and Moorcroft are a strange pairing.

how old is this debt

what were the circumstances behind it,

you disagreed about anything

coverage , contract, phone.

just because you've had a couple of scary letters

don't think they are going to take it further.

read the letter properly.

they don't say will

have you gotten ahold of your cra file

to see what the industry says about this debt yet.

my pers view is lets do a bit more digging first

before you put your neck in the noose

and certainly DONT pay a dca

deal with the original creditor

for £250 worrying about court

or starting to ack this debt by paying

will add even more time onto the period it shows on your file.

tell us the story

and get your CRA file

see below

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

It would not even need anywhere near to the maximums in this case, unless of course we are talking about an agency that say (for reasons known only to them) recommend figures like £165 per month for housekeeping on an online debt tool)

If that includes all housekeeping (e.g. clothing etc. too then that figure is an absolute joke)

why don't they all use the independent CFS, if so then all the 'confusion' surrounding would be ended in the stroke of a pen.

I absolutely agree on this.

Also, is it true sequenci that Stepchange get 'some sort' of payment every time someone uses their Debt Remedy Tool? I am only asking, maybe they could come on here and 'brooche' the subject!

No idea on that one, but nothing surprises me these days.

nco and Moorcroft are a strange pairing.

how old is this debt

what were the circumstances behind it,

you disagreed about anything

coverage , contract, phone.

just because you've had a couple of scary letters

don't think they are going to take it further.

read the letter properly.

they don't say will

have you gotten ahold of your cra file

to see what the industry says about this debt yet.

my pers view is lets do a bit more digging first

before you put your neck in the noose

and certainly DONT pay a dca

deal with the original creditor

for £250 worrying about court

or starting to ack this debt by paying

will add even more time onto the period it shows on your file.

tell us the story

and get your CRA file

see below

dx

Summer 2011 when I started the Orange contract. It's just money I owe for the whole contract. They cut me off with about 12 months (at least) to go on the contract, and am just paying the contract off.

I think I was behind/owed 2 months worth of payments on the contract, before they cut me off.

Can't deal with Orange any more so kind of have to pay the DCA/Solicitors, right?

No idea what my CRA file says about it as I have already had the free trials on Equifax & Experian and can never seem to get accepted on Noddle. I tried as recently as 2 weeks ago but it said my identify couldn't be verified?

If that includes all housekeeping (e.g. clothing etc. too then that figure is an absolute joke)

I absolutely agree on this.

No idea on that one, but nothing surprises me these days.

Hi

I had a look on the WA site recently and noticed that there is a fairly new E-Learning course on the CFS, think it carries CPD points for the MIMA qualified people too

How then can there be a different set of figures that are much lower in some areas, how can advisers give accurate advice and who's interest are some of these figures in, especially when you take into account Debt Relief Orders.

It is a joke and totally misleading

The silence just gets dafter, but everybody is starting to see through it me duck... aren't they??

Can't wait to see how they get round (or try to) this harmonising business!

It is a snooker, re - rack style

What about all those DMPs!

We are still waiting, wry smiles and all.

Tickety tock

My honest opinions based on rock solid experience

Edited by Wintry

I had a look on the WA site recently and noticed that there is a fairly new E-Learning course on the CFS, think it carries CPD points for the MIMA qualified people too

Yup, it's brand new. Launched last month. I've not even done that one myself (just had the reminder!).

I wonder how many people who could really do with a DRO (and would meet the citeria based upon CFS) end up with DMPs or even (shudders) IVAs?