ESA and housing advice needed

lala1984
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I had my ESA appeal last week and won. I have been put in the support group.

I need some advice regarding housing benefit. I heard that if I rented privately I can now claim full housing benefit for a 1 bed flat even though I'm single and under 35.

I phoned my local (useless) council and they could not answer my query and said they didn't know.

I've been homeless for 3 years and my council have done absolutely nothing so I have no option but to rent privately and need to know if I can afford it before I proceed.

Tia

here is some information or you about renting privately and housing benefit (lha)

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/local_housing_allowance.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

did the the council say they was not going to help you? or did they just put you on the waiting list?

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council_when_homeless/priority_need

Edited by time4change2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been homeless since 2010 and been sofa surfing ever since. I've been put on the register and must bid on properties but there is nothing.

A few months ago I took them a letter from my doctor stating my situation was becoming more urgent but the advisor said the powers that be will jus look at the letter and say 'eh' I was awarded another 10 points and still in category H.

I called yesterday and asked if I rented privately would I get full hb for example if I got a 1 bed flat for £750 PCM would I get the full amount and they said they didn't know and I should ask the CAB. They think I would still only get the shared accom rate of £350 PCM as I'm single, 29, not a parent and not been in prison.

They are beyond useless and I need answers.

have you applied to other housing associations too? it might be worth speaking to the advocacy department at shelter http://england.shelter.org.uk/

the only other advice i can give you is apply to as many housing associations you can and keep phoning them i know it can be hard and stressful thing to go though

was it the council you called or what is the housing benefit department?

you could also ask them to look at your banding again and maybe appeal the original decision

Edited by time4change2

I didn't even know I could apply to housing associations.t council has given me no information whatsoever. Just told me to bid and look on Gumtree or loot!!

Where would I find a list of housing associations in my area?

I spoke to someone in the housing department. He said he'd been trained with regards to benefits but had no clue if I'd get full amount. Maybe I should call the housing benefit department

Go back to your Council, only this time go to the Homeless Section explaining your situation including that you are a vunerable person in receipt of Esa Support Group, they have a duty to put a roof over your head, even if it is in a B&B or a Hostel, this is classed as Temporary Accomadation. In the meantime your case will be taken to a Panel at the Council who will decide which Band to place you in, this procedure can take up to 6 weeks to complete. Usually you will be placed into the Priorty Plus Band in this kind of situation. This means you can bid on properties of your choice and will have Priorty over other Bands. My Council Guarantee you will be homed within 28 days if you are placed in this Band. Hope this helps.

I went to the homeless section and was given nothing. Just put in banding H and told I wasn't a priority even though I'm the letter from my doctor she called me a vulnerable adult. They have done absolutely nothing to help me and just say I'm not a priority.

I would prefer to rent privately as I can then choose where I want to live. Hostels and b&b's are not practical as I have a large dog who I need to keep with me

I went to the homeless section and was given nothing. Just put in banding H and told I wasn't a priority even though I'm the letter from my doctor she called me a vulnerable adult. They have done absolutely nothing to help me and just say I'm not a priority.

I would prefer to rent privately as I can then choose where I want to live. Hostels and b&b's are not practical as I have a large dog who I need to keep with me

Have you asked for your case to be Assessed by the Housing Panel, in my area you would be giving Priority Plus, for instance if, ( applicants with 2 reasonable preference categories such as an individual who is statutory homeless and have a health problem ). Look on you local Council website under ( Prioritising Housing Applictions ) you should fit into one of their caterogies listed, you then have ammunition to go and fire at them. Good Luck.

Have you asked for your case to be Assessed by the Housing Panel, in my area you would be giving Priority Plus, for instance if, ( applicants with 2 reasonable preference categories such as an individual who is statutory homeless and have a health problem ). Look on you local Council website under ( Prioritising Housing Applictions ) you should fit into one of their caterogies listed, you then have ammunition to go and fire at them. Good Luck.

That's is fantastic. Thank you for that info.

I would still like my initial question confirmed to me though

Have you asked your GP if they have a charity they can sign post you too?

Or if your lucky enough to be in secondary NHS service care Mental Health team/psychologist etc they might have access to help or a charity too.

My GP sign posted me to these folks http://www.shp.org.uk/

With £750 rent I'm assuming London but there's various S.E. locations that would be normal for.

You really also should give SHELTER a call on the free national advice line 0808 800 4444

:lala1984:

Sorry, entitlement to employment n support with the support component doesn't exempt someone under 35 from the shared accommodation rate of housing benefit.

The exemption you're thinking of is entitlement to the middle or higher rate care component of disability living allowance. Or in very exceptional circumstances, someone under 35 who needs an extra room for a non resident overnight carer.

Margaret.

Hi

Have a look at this link its Housing Net and you can do a search by town, postcode if required:

http://www.housingnet.co.uk/housingassociations.php

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

:lala1984:

Sorry, entitlement to employment n support with the support component doesn't exempt someone under 35 from the shared accommodation rate of housing benefit.

The exemption you're thinking of is entitlement to the middle or higher rate care component of disability living allowance. Or in very exceptional circumstances, someone under 35 who needs an extra room for a non resident overnight carer.

Margaret.

Margaret is correct.........

Hi all

I had my ESA appeal last week and won. I have been put in the support group.

I need some advice regarding housing benefit. I heard that if I rented privately I can now claim full housing benefit for a 1 bed flat even though I'm single and under 35.

I phoned my local (useless) council and they could not answer my query and said they didn't know.

I've been homeless for 3 years and my council have done absolutely nothing so I have no option but to rent privately and need to know if I can afford it before I proceed.

Tia

Can I ask where are you living at the moment !1aK+F4PJ7cBm32CUNiyI2GAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...