Garden grabbing!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was looking for advice in dealing with a planning application to build 2 4 bed detached houses on garden land that will be sold by existing home owners to facilitate this. I am doing this on behalf of my father, he is 84 and not computer savvy! He lives directly next door to the house that is planning to sell part of their garden to enable this build.

He is strongly opposed to this and requested that I write a letter for him opposing the planning permission. He is concerned re garden privacy, the houses being out of character with the surrounding houses, and whereby he looked into his garden and saw other houses in a cul de sac at the end of the garden he will now have a large house approximately next to the half way point in his garden.

It will be an 'eye sore', and it will look out of place among the other houses but I need to put together a constructive letter outlining valid points as to why planning permission should not be passed.

I have done some research this afternoon, it's a very dry and complicated subject I have also checked our council website (South Staffordshire) but cannot find anything on the criteria they work with, planning requisites etc

Any advice would be much appreciated as I really want to help him, he is not being objective and will only write an emotional letter whereby I believe by attempting to produce valid evidence against this proposal may be the way forward.

Many thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section but I'm sure mods will move if necessary.

Edited by citizenB
formatting for easier reading

I will see if there is anyone that can advise on this for you and also if there might be a better forum for you to attract more attention :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Has your Father received a letter from the Planning department asking if he has any objections !

Are there other people who will be affected by this building - have you spoken to them to see if they are going to object - obviously the more people opposed, I think the better chance you might have.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Here are some links that might help you in making an objection.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/faq/faqapplyprocess

What are material considerations?

A material consideration is a matter that should be taken into account in deciding a planning application or on an appeal against a planning decision.

Material considerations can include (but are not limited to):

Overlooking/loss of privacy

Loss of light or overshadowing

Parking

Highway safety

Traffic

Noise

Effect on listed building and conservation area

Layout and density of building

Design, appearance and materials

Government policy

Disabled persons' access

Proposals in the Development Plan

Previous planning decisions (including appeal decisions)

Nature conservation

However, issues such as loss of view, or negative effect on the value of properties are not material considerations.

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.co.uk/p/how-to-object.html

• Haha 1

BCOBS

Many, many thanks for your replies. I have requested advice on moneysavingepert.com and have applied to be included as a member on gardenlaw.co.uk. I just knew this forum would produce some good advice as always!

I hope you have some success for your Father.

My LA has forbidden any further "back garden" building, unless it is for extensions for existing properties.

BCOBS

have applied to be included as a member on gardenlaw.co.uk. I just knew this forum would produce some good advice as always!

I have been trying to access that website - for some reason, I am unable to complete the registration process :(

BCOBS

I have been trying to access that website - for some reason, I am unable to complete the registration process :(

I have managed to register but not found what I need yet :???:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone who advised me re my original post.Following hour after hour of researching local and national planning policies I submitted a letter to the council planning department... the application has been refused! :whoo: Not only was it refused but the notice also stated that no further application was necessary as any build would never meet the criteria required, so no appeal to the applicant either. Happy with the result, well worth the days of reading the hundreds of pages re planning policies...by far the most boring reading I have ever had to do. Many thanks to all who sent advice.:smile:

Oh this is excellent news :)

Happy with the result, well worth the days of reading the hundreds of pages re planning policies...by far the most boring reading I have ever had to do. Many thanks to all who sent advice.

If we have any more posters with a similar problem, we can call on you with your newly acquired knowledge - so not all is lost with the research :lol:

BCOBS

Oh this is excellent news :)

If we have any more posters with a similar problem, we can call on you with your newly acquired knowledge - so not all is lost with the research :lol:

I would be very willing to help :)