car bought from ebay

Andrew0000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just a quick one,

i done the full HPI check on a car a few days ago ,

All came back ok so i purchased the car for 8k but

i tried to call the seller a few times since to see if he had a spare key as when i picked the car up he said the company he buys from sometimes finds a spare

and then he would pass on but the phone is permenetly off or turned off,

He has also closed his Ebay account from which i first seen the classified add on ,

he also had zero feedback and had only opened his account the day before the car was listed ,

like i said i have had the full works hpi check and even went to a local garage for them to do which they did for £10

and all came back good,

just a bit suspicious with him closing of the account on Ebay ,

Can anything come back and kick me in the ass after all the checks ive done

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they can offer a guarantee as they can only offer the details that are on their system. They aren't an agency or anything, just a private business.

You could take the Vin (chassis) number and reg number to your local police station and tell them you are suspicious and could they check them for you please.

Last year when I did an HPI check this was offered to me which is why I am querying it. I think you pay a bit extra and they guarantee that certain facts are 100% or they reimburse you some money. Long ago so can remember exactly and have deleted the emails.

what happens if i take to local police station and they do a check and something comes back

The police will seize the car and you will have nothing.

This whole setup sounds very wrong to me.

It could have been stolen in a burglary from someone who for example is on holiday and it's not yet listed on HPI as stolen because the owner does not yet know it's stolen.

And as for your can of worms. I think this could be a very expensive 8 grand can of worms for you should it be stolen. You won't be in trouble because you tried to check but you will be out of pocket i'm afraid.

The police will seize the car and you will have nothing.

This whole setup sounds very wrong to me.

It could have been stolen in a burglary from someone who for example is on holiday and it's not yet listed on HPI as stolen because the owner does not yet know it's stolen.

And as for your can of worms. I think this could be a very expensive 8 grand can of worms for you should it be stolen. You won't be in trouble because you tried to check but you will be out of pocket i'm afraid.

Don't you think that if he had stolen it from someone's house that he wouldn't of done it from his home , he obviously used credit cards to set up an ebay account. Which is traceable and so on

and i a assuming you picked up the car from the address that was registered on the keepers details?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

and i a assuming you picked up the car from the address that was registered on the keepers details?

No the address was different , I did question it but he said he just got it from a company and that's why it didn't match

Could be stolen but not reported yet.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Don't you think that if he had stolen it from someone's house that he wouldn't of done it from his home , he obviously used credit cards to set up an ebay account. Which is traceable and so on

Stolen credit cards?

Empty houses?

It takes little effort to setup a fake home in an empty house for a few hours. Pull up in a van, pop some furniture in the house, make it look lived in, do the deal, empty the house and move on.

Thieves are very resourceful.

Of coarse this might be totally innocent.

Call your local nick and ask them to check. Say you have been offered a car and can they check the number plate and vin. They should do it for free. But again if it's not been reported then it won't show.

The only way you can be covered is to buy from a reputable established dealer and pay at least £100 or over on a credit card for a little added security.

The fact is, and this might hurt a little, if this car turns out to be stolen and nobody knows that is the case yet, but if it does and the police recover it you are going to be without a car and your money. I know a guy who brought a Ford mondeo many years ago and it all looked legit but a few months later the police knocked on his door, told him it was stolen and took it away. He lost both the car and the money and it was down to him to chase for his money back which he never got back.

The police will recover the car and that is as much involvement as they will want with your end of the deal. They might follow up the burglary for the victim.

Sorry.

Then again, it might be nothing and totally legit.

Have you tried contacting the registered keeper on the documents and asking?

The only way you can be covered is to buy from a reputable established dealer and pay at least £100 or over on a credit card for a little added security.

The fact is, and this might hurt a little, if this car turns out to be stolen and nobody knows that is the case yet, but if it does and the police recover it you are going to be without a car and your money. I know a guy who brought a Ford mondeo many years ago and it all looked legit but a few months later the police knocked on his door, told him it was stolen and took it away. He lost both the car and the money and it was down to him to chase for his money back which he never got back.

The police will recover the car and that is as much involvement as they will want with your end of the deal. They might follow up the burglary for the victim.

Sorry.

Then again, it might be nothing and totally legit.

Have you tried contacting the registered keeper on the documents and asking?

How would i go about contacting the last registered keeper, i just have his address which is over 200 miles away , no phone number

That wouldnt be advisable at all. If he is a legit seller, and you turn up uninvited, he has every right to contact the police.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi everyone , i have a new problem

I dropped the car at BMW today and within 30 mins they called me back saying that the cars ignition does not belong to the car, they checked the key and it belongs to a 535 not my 530 and not the dame year , the guy on the phone said it could be innocent and just be that the car has had a second hand replacement ignition but even tho that brings up questions,

The only positive i can think of is that the guy i bought it from bought it as stolen recovered and a third party not bmw replaced the ignition and then he sold it on to muggins me , I got no problem with the car if thats the case as long as its not dodgy

Do you think this is plausible ?

stressed.com

As we said. Stolen car with changed parts. Could be innocent, but EVERYTHING you have told us says otherwise. I would try and get a check done on the VIN and see what comes up. Possibly get a check on the historic keeper entries.