style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I should prefix this by saying that this is now an academic point as we have found an amicable resolution to the issue, but I would like clarification none the less.

I recently spent £6500 supply only on a Shcreiber kitchen from Homebase. This order was based on an in-store design that we arrived at. Upon delivery a number of panels were damaged.

It transpired that one of the damaged panels was also not required. Being able to physically position the items made clear a much better way of achieving the same result - something that should have been noticed during the planning stages. The panel cost £207 so I wanted it refunded/exchanged as the improved design required me to purchase some much cheaper plinth (£50 a length).

I went to the store slightly after 24 hours of receipt of the goods. I explained that I wanted the damaged panel refunded so that I could buy the more appropriate materials. I was told in no uncertain terms this was not possible and they would only replace damaged items.

I pointed out that this was contrary to my statutory rights and was told that because I approved the design that I was not entitle to return any items which were not required. No amount of pointing out that I was rejecting the goods due to not being not of a satisfactory quality would make any difference...

They tried to fob me off saying that I had to call the distribution center, which I'm glad I did in store as they said only the store could refund it. The guy on the phone was very abrasive and on more than one occasion I found him shouting at me down the telephone. He was insisting that the sale of goods act only required them to replace the damage item and it was at their discretion as to which remedy they choose.

I was firmly of the opinion that within 24 hours I am entitle to a refund, regardless of what I bought or if it was part of a larger design that I approved. I also stated several times to all staff that it was impossible to sign away statutory rights which they are implying that I did as I approved the design and acknowledged that I wouldn't be able to return any items not required.

In the end we did arrive at an amicable solution but it was very much implied that they were doing me a huge favor and going beyond the call of duty - indeed they did have to do a considerably amount of fiddling on the system.

Please clarify, damaged goods reported within 24 hours - I am entitle to a refund surely, if I accept a repair or refund it is at my discretion not homebase?