dental penalty advice pls.

headache123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

when it rains it deffo pours it seems.

got a letter today saying i had dental treatment in December and didn't pay and have not paid a fine

and so i need to pay approx £380 or they (the nhs) will take it to court.

this is the first iv heard of this and haven't had any previous letters.

i remember in December me and my partner went to get our teeth clean.

it was heavy snow and we were late. I

went to the toilet and he filled the forms for both of us.

he was claiming jsa whereas i was working.

As soon as i came out the loo i signed the form and went in.

we left straightway as they decided to close the dental surgery as the road was too dangerous there from the snow.

am i now going to have to pay approx. £380 odd pound for a 5 min polish only and a genuine mistake?

i genuinely thought nothin of it cus of the rush we were in and the surgery wanting to close.

will they take it to court?

what to do sigh.....

Simple. ASk them to prove you owe anything and if you do, you want a FULLY ITEMISED breakdown of the amount they claim and what it pertains to.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

the fine is from the nhs not the dentist. its a penalty notice. it says if they don't receive full payment within 7 days they will start proceeding through county counts. it was a genuine mistake. wondering if nhs will actually take it to court...

Can NHS actually charge fines?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

*buy fora genuine mistake? wondering what to do. i work in the nhs and would not willing do this.

Hello there.

I agree with the suggestion of asking for a detailed explanation of what the charges are for. Do you think this is possible?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

just worried if i make contact im implicating myself somehow.

the fine is for not paying the dental charge by wrongly claiming benefit

which as previously explained was in complete error.

..im away from Monday for 7 days.

i don't want a cc or want to pay dental £380.

do u think il land myself in more trouble by making contact?

You arent implicating. Youa re simply asking for proof that a debt is owed, and if so, you want a full detailed breakdown.

Who said its a fine? Its more likely to be a charge, or penalty fees. before we jump to conclusions, get a modified version of that letter off, and wait for the breakdown of the amount allegedly owed.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i sent the letter. they have sent a response sayin £209.00 for dental services (i jus had a polish!) and a £100 penalty for claiming incorrectly plus a further £50 on top for not payin the penalty within 28 days. so a total of £359. what should i do now? i cannot agford that.

hi i sent the letter. they have sent a response sayin £209.00 for dental services (i jus had a polish!) and a £100 penalty for claiming incorrectly plus a further £50 on top for not payin the penalty within 28 days. so a total of £359. what should i do now? i cannot agford that.

Are they actually using the word "penalty" in the letter? I think that although they may be able to claim the £209, I doubt if they will be able to claim the "penalty" and the £50 fee. The charge for £209 seems high. I don't think JSA entitles you to free dental treatment, but that is only my opinion and I may be wrong.

Jsa doesnt give you free but nhs discounted which is capped to a certain amount no matter what or how much you have done.

Most NHS treatment is free but charges are made for some things which includes NHS dental charges. Some people are automatically exempt from paying NHS dental charges. Also, some people on a low income can make a claim for help with all or part of the costs.

Dentists and the NHS

If you qualify for help with dental costs, it is important that your dentist accepts NHS patients. Check this beforehand as many dentists do not accept NHS patients. You must tell the dentist you want NHS treatment when you make the appointment. You will have to sign a form you are given when you go for treatment and if you do not have to pay you put a cross in the appropriate box.

If you are aged under 18.

If you are aged 18 in full-time education.

If you are pregnant, or have had a baby in the 12 months before treatment starts.

If you are an NHS in-patient and the treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist.

If you are an NHS Hospital Dental Service out-patient (there may be a charge for dentures and bridges).

If you (or your partner) gets one of the following:

Income Support.

Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance.

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

If you are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate.

If you are a war pensioner - if treatment is connected with the pensionable disability.

If you are named on an HC2 (or HC3) certificate because of low income (see below).

Note in Wales you get free dental examination if:

If you are aged under 25 on the day you are examined in Wales.

If you are aged 60 or over on the day you are examined in Wales.

How can people on a low income apply for help?

Some people on a low income may qualify for help towards NHS dental charges. Your entitlement to help is based on your circumstances such as your level of income, savings, etc. You will have to fill in an HC1 form 'Claim for Help with Health Costs' giving various details of your circumstances and then send it off in the pre-paid envelope provided.

If you qualify for help you will be sent an HC2 or HC3 Certificate. The certificate will tell you who it covers and how long it lasts. An HC2 qualifies you for full costs. An HC3 only qualifies you for partial help with health costs.

Can I claim a refund for NHS dental charges I have already paid?

If you are issued with an HC2 or HC3 certificate, you may be able to claim a refund if you have recently paid for NHS dental charges. You will need to keep your receipt and use an HC5 claim form. Claims must be received within three months of your paying the charge.

How can I get the claim forms?

To get the forms HC1 or HC5 mentioned above:

Contact your local office of the Department of Work and Pensions (the local Jobcentre Plus or 'social security' office) for a claim form. Find your local office in the phone book under 'Jobcentre Plus', OR

Get them from an NHS hospital, OR

Your dentist may stock them, OR

Phone the NHS Formsline on 0845 610 1112, textphone number 08700 102 870, OR

Phone the Department of Health Publications Orderline on 0300 123 1002 (minicom 0300 123 1003) and ask for a form to be sent to you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So did you think it strange walking out without paying?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread