Banned from pub after bad review

DiiiCE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, its my first post on here and its going to be a pretty long one.

Basically I went to a hungry horse pub with some friends last month and the visit was pretty mixed overall. The food wasnt too bad and we didnt really have any complaints initially, apart from missing an item on a few of the meals. The service wasnt great to be honest, the table was dirty when we arrived, it took 45 minutes for our dirty plates to be moved and when we left the desert plates were still on the table. We then took part in a music quiz and we should have won this, but as we were round the other side of the bar the manager didn't hear us and by the time I had made my way round it was too late. His response to this wasnt great, he suggested that we just get closer to the bar when theres one song left on our card.

It was afterwards when we went to close the bill that we spotted that the cost of our deserts hadn't been taken off the bill, something we thought we were entitled to as part of an offer that is run by the pub on a thursday. I queried this with the manager and he was pretty unhelpful really, he wasn't willing to even agree that it should at least be stated more clearly on the menu that the meals we had were not included in the offer. Another member of staff did have a bit of an attitude problem and said we woudn't get the deserts knocked off because one of the group works there and they'd already give us a discount. we paid the bill and were willing to put it down to experience.

After this I posted a review on tripadvisor, giving it a 1 star overall and was pretty accurate with my description of the whole evening. It then became apparent that the manager had seen the review and left a response of the site that was pretty well fabricated by himself. Even after this I was still willing to let the whole thing go. It was when he apparently pulled my friend to one side in work and told him that I bas barred from the pub and basically threatened to hit me if he seen me again. This is what got me riled up more than anything. I have no reason to believe that my friend is not telling the truth in this situation, I think that he wouldnt make something like that up as surely it would affect his job security.

So after this I emailed greene king (owners of hungry horse) to inform them of the situation and told them everything, not leaving any details out. I have waited a few weeks for a response in the post as promised in a reply from them and have received one today in the post. To say I am disappointed with the response would be an understatement.

The letter says that they have spoken to the manager and investigated fully.

They have then stated 'that my behaviour on my day of the visit was inappropriate and was affecting the enjoyment of some of our other customers'.

It then goes on to say that ' I am therefore supporting the house managers legal right to ask you to leave on the day in question and to refuse you future entry to the establishment. This decision is final and not open to further discussion'.

Now this has really disappointed me. At no point did we behave inappropriately and I cant believe that a manager of a pub would fabricate this to justify banning me from the premises. Also at no point were we asked to leave the pub, again I am astonished by this claim.

Basically I am asking for help on where to go next. I have emailed greene king again to try and point out that what he has said is not true but I dont expect a response from them, especially when you consider how blunt they have been in the letter. Even though I have no desire to return there, I don't want the manager in the pub to feel that he can do something like this and effectively win.

Thanks in advance,

James

(hope I've been clear enough here, just a lot of information to get across)

There's always a sign behind the bar- you must've seen it at some point- 'The landlord reserves the right to refuse service without giving reason' or some such form of words. That's it, you can effectively be barred on a whim, enjoy. Admittedly that might get slightly more complicated if you are not a white male.

You might have a case re: the threatening behaviour; but it would almost certainly rely on your friend (the employee!!!) giving a sworn statement, which might also affect his job prospects?

Frankly getting barred from a **** hole with such dodgy attitudes is probably a cultural BONUS. Good health!

Basically I am asking for help on where to go next.

Wetherspoons?

You might have a case re: the threatening behaviour; but it would almost certainly rely on your friend (the employee!!!) giving a sworn statement, which might also affect his job prospects?

I have actually discussed this with my friend. He doesn't really want to get heavily involved in this because his job is at risk if we don't get the outcome that we want. So you think the best thing to do now is move on? I think the manager will be gone soon enough anyway, its only been open since april and the overall reviews are pretty poor

Even if Greene King are backing him (on this occasion), if that illustrates his general behaviour it is guaranteed that he'll get a shedload of other complaints, and they won't back him then. Certainly no legal recourse, if consume you must, it's your choice where!!!!

dunno why you would want to go back. his performance is based on sales

I wouldn't want to go back, its more about clearing my name. I'm unhappy about his blatant lies and dont want him to get away with it.

It's usually the aim of these type of pubs that they all convey the same "corporate style" throughout all of their establishments, even, I gather, to having the same "musak" grinding out the same piece of drivel, at the same instant, nationwide.

Having visited one of their places last summer, in the Stoke-On-Trent area, [never again], you appear to have confirmed that the company have achieved their aim!

I presume your reason for commencing this thread was not so much a complaint, but as a warning to those of us that expect decent catering standards, which, sadly, are almost non existent in the UK?

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

It's usually the aim of these type of pubs that they all convey the same "corporate style" throughout all of their establishments, even, I gather, to having the same "musak" grinding out the same piece of drivel, at the same instant, nationwide.

Having visited one of their places last summer, in the Stoke-On-Trent area, [never again], you appear to have confirmed that the company have achieved their aim!

I presume your reason for commencing this thread was not so much a complaint, but as a warning to those of us that expect decent catering standards, which, sadly, are almost non existent in the UK?

Sam

That could be a good idea. Use it to warn the people of the world (or at least this forum). I have no desire to really go back there now, or to any other hungry horse pub, I just want the manager to realise he can't lie so blatantly lie and get away with it.

• 2 weeks later...

A publican can bar anyone from their premises without having to give a reason so there is no need for the manager to make up storied just to bar you. However, the review is another matter and I would presume that they are trying to limit the damage done so would rather have a reson for their actions than not giving one. If you had tried to get some sense out of the brewery before the bad review they might have been more amenable but I can see an underlying problem with the Hungry Horse business model-people dont like it. I have heard of other bad reports and to be honest child friendly pubs are an oxymoron so they are bound to upset half of the people using them for the opposite reasons when trying to entertain children and adults separately.