• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Breaking news for cases stayed in Cardiff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have spoken to the court in Cardiff today, enquiring about my stayed case which was pending on the outcome of a test case in London on the 17th of this month. Apparently they were all settled before the hearing (no surprise there) apart from one (no info available on that)

There will be a small claims hearing with the circuit Judge Hickingbottom on the 21st December at 10.30. The Judge will be listing us altogether and we should receive confirmation of this in the post this week!

I see light at the end of the tunnel at last!!!!:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's excellent - hope it's the light at the end of the tunnel indeed :)

I just rang Swindon CC about my 2, in case there was something similar (though they're just pending "a likely test case" - no dates :rolleyes:), but nothing at all. They advised me to write in, so I'm definitely sending my letter from this thread :D

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

• 2 weeks later...

Have received this in the post today:

Before DISTRICT JUDGE R LL HENDICOTT sitting at Cardiff County Court, Cardiff Civil Justice Centre...

Upon the courts own motion. The court has made this order of it's own initiative without a hearing. If you object to the order, you must make an application to have it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The stay in this case be lifted.

2. Directions will be given in the case by the Designated Civil Judge, His Honour Judge G Hickinbottom, on the 21st December 2006 at 10:30 am at Cardif Civil Justice Centre..

3. The parties may appear in person or make written representations as to how the case should proceed provided a copy of the representations is sent to the Court and the other side at least 7 working days prior to the hearing.

Dated 30 October 2006

Not quite what the clerk told me on the phone, but an official date at last!!

Hi, i also received the same letter just today! what does it mean? when you say, light at the end of the tunnel, what do you mean? Do you think they'l show up? Do you think we'll all get default judgements? What do we need to do to prepare for it because i willl be away that day but my partner says he will go in my place if need be... Plse keep me posted...

I would think the written representations would go something along the lines of:

The matter is suitable for the Small Claims Track as it involves no issue of law – the law is well established. It only involves questions of fact – in particular the true costs of the banks default charges system. The OFT has already formed its conclusion about this. Standard disclosure will put the matter beyond doubt. As I rely upon the bank as my fiduciary it is clear that they have a duty to act in utmost good faith in relation to their conduct of their contract with me. I submit that they do not act in good faith in relation to me or their other customers in the matter of penalty charges

In the alternative, a number of cases have recently been transferred to various Mercantile Courts for hearings, and these again have been settled before any hearing. If the Court were to decide that my claim should be similarly transferred to a Mercantile Court, I respectfully request that a Small Claims Costs Order is made and the Defendants be ordered to make standard disclosure.

Quoted from Mcuth's thread here.. (hope you don't mind Mcuth)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mercantile-court-cases-stays/38582-stays-test-cases-heard.html

I have done alot of searching regarding this info, and hope that someone more knowledgeable can tell me/us if this is the right way to go:)

Quoted from Mcuth's thread here.. (hope you don't mind Mcuth)

Not a problem :)

I would say that something along those lines is required if you want to make a written submission (i.e. if you can't be there in person). I'd also suppose that the written submission is basically the requests you'd make in person (at a directional hearing) but put in writing for the judge to consider in your absence. So whatever you'd argue in person, put on paper (and yes, you would heavily suggest that disclosure be ordered :D).

My guess is that if you don't turn up and haven't made written submissions, then either the judge will make directions based on his/her own opinion of how the case should proceed - and don't forget that there's some possibility that the bank's solicitor will be there so if you're not there, they have the judge's ear :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Ahh yes, silly me read it as if I'd have to submit papers AND attend the hearing:rolleyes: I definately intend to show up, and will take with me what I want to say. I will do more searching when I get time and post up here (and in my own Lloyds thread) what I intend to say.

Are there any instances of hearings like this being settled beforehand? I haven't been able to find anything as of yet.

There are a few that were settled before the CMCs, only Haydn's went to an actual CMC as far as I know - I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to when they'll settle now, as long as it's before an actual hearing :D

Cheers

Michael

Hi Filed two cases in Aberdare court today.

Was informed that both cases will be transferred to Cardiff County Court as there is a test case scheduled for hearing and if my case is not settled on receipt of issuing my case will added to this test case.

This came straight from the courts mouth!!!

Now reading that above, about the Cardiff Cases, is that there is no test case going ahead in Cardiff, am I correct?

Or maybe she was on about another test case in Cardiff pending?

Any ideas? anything you guys want me to do (ie chase court????)

• Haha 1

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

There are a few that were settled before the CMCs, only Haydn's went to an actual CMC as far as I know - I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to when they'll settle now, as long as it's before an actual hearing :D

Cheers

Michael

So the general concensus is that the banks tend to settle before ANY hearing, regardless of it's reason? If thats the case then I might actually see my money before Xmas!!:grin: Shame it's not before the CAG Welsh Xmas do..........;) can't believe I started all this back in May!!

Allyxia/Dax.... When I last spoke to CC there was no mention of a test case in Cardiff, though I do remember one being mentioned a month or so back, will have a search.......

Ok, the thread I was thinking of was Twinkles..... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4775&highlight=twinkle

But this was settled in september. It is possible there is another test case, or that the courts are a bit slow in catching up, might be worth ringing CC to see if they have further info like a date and bank. The courts number is 029 20376400 if thats a help :-)

I tried to find out when the date was but the clerk didnt know.

All she said was my cases (I have two Nationwide and Woolwich - so dont know how far after being issued do they settle or do the push right up until last minute?), would be automatically transferred to Cardiff.

She said she was going issue fromm Aberdare Court today then send the paperwork down.

I explained that as a litagant in person they should take place in Aberdare,(Cardiff is only 35 miles from me anyway no biggy). But she said all bank charges cases are being transferred becuase of the test case taking place, and its likely that yours will be added to it.

And jokingly said - ah they settle before then, and she replied it doesnt matter, thats what I have to do (ie transfer it to Cardiff).

Now interstingly, I have another cases pending as well with Merthyr County Court, that was incorrectly sent up to Manchester (nothing to do with test cases - just muppets for clerks). manchester informed me this am its on its way back to Methyr. Im wondering if that will get transferred to Cardiff as well?

Hee Hee looks like all these "test" cases are going to be mine then !!!!!!

Another day out for Allyxia and the boglins!!

Allyxia

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

So the general concensus is that the banks tend to settle before ANY hearing, regardless of it's reason?

Not really - sorry, should've made myself clearer, as I really only meant hearings where the actual case would be decided proper (i.e. not CMC/Allocation hearing/Set asides/etc...) - I know what I meant in my own mind :D So, your case could be settled at any time from issue to sitting in front of the judge!

That said, I don't think they like turning up for any hearing/meeting/conference - certainly seems a waste of time & money to me if they send X solicitor on £XXXph to only end up settling later....:rolleyes:

Cheers

Michael

Have any of you guys heard any more about this test case being heard in Cardiff? it wasn't the Lloyds one, which was settled some months ago, was it?

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

No sorry Nat first Id heard of it was whenI was told all three of my cases are being transferred just waiting for the date now!!!! - thye are not rushing put it that way (i thinkthey wait til thye got a few).

Im aslo awarethat someone else has filed a paper with aberdare court and that one has also been transferred, but I dont think they are a cag memeber?

Allyxia

OK gona start a new thread here!!

Allyxia

Lloyd's have agreed to settle a claim that I was running for a neighbour of mine, which was to be one of those heard in Cardiff on December 21st.

Hope that the rest of you have similar good news in the near future.

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

One of my cardiff claims was settled on weds but thats till leaves two eh!!!

Heard nothing from the court!!!

May chase them up next week as I should ave had a court date by now this blooming case has been going on since beginin sept!!

Allyxia

• 2 weeks later...

Well I m not saying anything for me yet - all Im saying Im aware that some banks are trying to settle prior to the case on 21 dec. Or maybe they are feeling festive and going to give us all a merry christmas!!!

Who knows eh - lets just hope we all get our cash!!

Allyxia