I am making a claim for GMP police negligence - Civil Litigation

OlafJensen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Olaf. Have you posted about this before please?

If you haven't, I think the forum guys need more information in order to advise you. This isn't being nosy, but if they only have some of the details you may not get the advice you need.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

No this is the first thread on the matter. As explained above I am making a claim for negligence against a police officer from GMP. I am asking really what this involves for example costs and any other matters I should know about when I start my claim. Also I have heard this I can not be helped with legal aid.

Taking Legal Action:

You may bring a civil action to seek damages to compensate you for your injuries and loss. The categories under which the police can be sued include the following:

Assault and battery or the use of excessive force in arrest or detention.

False imprisonment or restricting your liberty unlawfully - for example, detaining you without justification or for too long without charge.

Trespass or searching property without proper authority.

Malicious prosecution or bringing a prosecution without any good reasons which then fails.

Negligence or failure to meet the standard of care that the police should show for the safety of people foreseeably affected by their actions.

When the old Police Complaints Authority was in place, many civil cases succeeded where formal complaints failed. It remains to be seen whether the establishment of the IPCC will alter this state of affairs. If you are considering bringing a civil action you should ask a lawyer as soon as possible to advise you on your chances of success and the possible amount of damages you might receive.

It is usual to sue the Chief Constable, who is generally responsible for the actions of police officers, of the relevant police force. This means that it is not necessary to know the identities of the police officers involved, unlike with police complaints.

If you are considering a civil action as well as making a formal complaint you should get legal advice from a solicitor or other adviser. You may be advised not to make a very detailed statement in support of your complaint because this might put you at some disadvantage in the civil action as the police will know at a very early stage the case you are going to make against them. If you have already made a complaint, refer the investigating officer to your solicitor. Be prepared for a considerable wait as civil cases can take several years to be concluded.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Most solicitors are capable and will deal with it...we are not allowed to recommend any in particular as this is against Site rules.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I am making a claim for police negligence which I understand can only be made through the civill courts. Which is very convenient for the GMP because this will cost me money no doubt

Were you injured by a police officer? If so you should be able to find man personal injury solicitor firms that can take your case on a 'no win no fee' basis.

No I was not hurt. They failed to protect my family from death threat and we had to seek refuge in another city. It took the police 4 days to even look at our complaint

Edited by OlafJensen
Bad spelling

• dx100uk changed the title to I am making a claim for GMP police negligence - Civil Litigation