I think I'm being fobbed off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I went away yesterday with my parents and I'd forgot my medication; but mum had packed some Anadin liquifast, which worked better.

AS my G.P says "whatever works for you". I am glad you have found something that helps.:thumb:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I am too. But it's not on prescription.:( I am still going to ask for a referral. I've had headaches pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks; but do need to get to the bottom of why I was so ill and how to prevent it.

Thanks. I am too. But it's not on prescription.:( I am still going to ask for a referral. I've had headaches pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks; but do need to get to the bottom of why I was so ill and how to prevent it.

After 5 years I was sent for for a MRI. My GP said you have *******, ****** and ********. At last I thought an answer and then she said but it could be ********.

Getting to the bottom of why you are ill sometimes makes you want to scream. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Le sigh. Tempted to see another GP. She's convinced it's migraine. I'm not and neither is the previous GP. Been given aspirin and paracetamol.

Did she say why she is convinced its migraine or did she she write prescription without explanation?

She didn't, no. I explained that I've had migraine before, which had aura too and this doesn't feel like migraine. Plus, my migraines were always in the same place - above my left eye. Whereas, I'm getting pressure in the middle of my head (it's stopped for now...) and the pain is either left or right, or rarely the back of my head. The previous GP said he doesn't think it's migraine, because I don't have the symptoms and I can actually function. I've had migraine before and I have to sleep it off. I can't do anything else.

I spoke to a friend who is a locum GP. He said that what's happening is normal and they don't normally do anything until you start having blackouts.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally getting somewhere! :D

Saw a different GP. I explained to her what happened with the previous 2 GPs. She's sent me for an MRI scan and a blood test. Went to book the blood test after my appointment and was told it could be done now if I wanted and I said yes. I should get the test results next week.

I have now been put on Amtriplyne. (spelling?)

Now just to work out how I survive an MRI scan with hypersensitive hearing...

Industrial type ear defenders.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks. Got blood test results back and they're all normal.

That is good news!Watch The amitripyline it can cause problems with falling asleep to early. My friend takes hers about 2-3 hours before she wants to go to sleep. Adjust the time to when you want to fall asleep.

I learnt that the hard way the first time I took it. My GP said to take it early evening. I took it at 6 and was falling asleep by 9.30.

I try to take it around 10 / 11.

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for a date for my MRI. Spoke to GP receptionist who said she'll get someone to call me. They're now chasing up this referral.

I am now getting headaches once or twice a week. A huge improvement from a few months ago, where they were daily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Changed medication due to unwanted side effects of hunger and weight gain.

Have discovered something quite interesting about the medication (Gabapentin) I'm on - it's currently being used in trials as a treatment for one of the eye conditions I have.

• 4 weeks later...

MRI scan results came back as unchanged. No idea what happens now. No-one can explain the sudden change.

It also appears that no-one apart from me is overly concerned about the constant pain or the sudden change in head pressure.

:(

MRI scan results came back as unchanged. No idea what happens now. No-one can explain the sudden change.

It also appears that no-one apart from me is overly concerned about the constant pain or the sudden change in head pressure.

:(

It might be worth sitting down with your GP (ask for a double appt) to review everything so far and ask them what their next steps are?

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Thanks. :) Have been told by some medical students that I'm overreacting. One then said "what do you want? A cure?" Well, yes, I would love a cure. I don't want to spend my life on medication, nor do I want to spend it in pain.

• 5 months later...

Not updated this for a while. Since my last post, I've had my medication upped twice and now have some really unpleasant side effects, which was the reason why I had to come off something I was prescribed last year.

Aside from the weather induced headaches, (I can't tolerate the heat) I'm pretty much headache free now. But every single doctor is still ignoring the problem with the feeling of too much pressure in my head.

Silly question, have your sinuses and perhaps even your teeth been checked?

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Thanks. :) Have been told by some medical students that I'm overreacting. One then said "what do you want? A cure?" Well, yes, I would love a cure. I don't want to spend my life on medication, nor do I want to spend it in pain.

1) They are only students. Granted they are the GP's and consultants of tomorrow, but they have a ways to go before then.

Even IF they were correct (and we don't know that!), it isn't their place to tell you that : it is for the qualified docs to do so (and anyone below [lets say] ST3 or staff grade would be unwise to do so - they don't have the experience to know if they are just generating a complaint that will be upheld).

2) I appreciate your comment was from February : did you give feed back to their Consultant?.

If they are willing to do that as students, they'll carry that attitude forward in to their career unless a senior doc knows about it and educates them as to the lack of wisdom of behaving like that .......

I'd have let the consultant know at the time, along the lines of "I found it unhelpful, and I'm not sure they yet know enough and have enough experience to be making comments like that. I'd prefer not to complain officially, after all they are only students, but could you follow it up with them?. Would you consider letting them know that if they had been FY doctors acting like that I'd be making a formal complaint ...."

Silly question, have your sinuses and perhaps even your teeth been checked?

Sinuses, no. I get regular dental check ups and aside from dental pain caused by wisdom teeth coming through, I've had no problems.

@ Bazza - it was students on a student forum who have never met or indeed assessed me.

I have another appointment on Friday due to my medication being upped 4 weeks ago. No matter how many times the feeling of pressure has been mentioned, it's been ignored.

Surprise, surprise. I mentioned the pressure and was told it's normal.

I've now seen every GP in this surgery apart from 2 or 3 I think over this.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw another GP today and it really was a waste of time. She claims they're running out of options. But won't give me a neurology referral and claims it's just migraine. I don't have migraine. I have told them time and time again it's not migraine.

She then upped my medication again, despite me saying I can't take it due to the side effects. She also said to take aspirin. I have asthma, which apparently causes problems.

Really ****ed off now. This has been going for a year now and I am getting nowhere. Apparently, my MRI scan being unchanged from 2 years ago, which they say means there's nothing wrong.

Hello Nystagmite.

Sorry if I'm statiing the obvious or you've already done it, but have you researched your problem online yourself?

I ask because a friend's husband was in hospital with a brain condition that the doctors thought was one condition, but when she did her own extensive research online, she found an alternative and much rarer condition.

When she and her OH got to speak to the consultant, he agreed to look into the condition she had found out about, and it turned out that was what her husband had. They had been treating a different condition.

Apologies if you have already done this, but it seems that doing your own research can bear fruits.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum