Terminal cancer support please

Nystagmite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it's not tension headaches I have, it's migraine apparently. I explained that I've had migraine before and it was completely different.

Did you ask to be referred back to your consultant? Did he start you on any medication for your "migraine".

No I didn't ask. I've been put on imgran, I think it's called. And it's a right pain - got 6 tablets to last me 2 weeks and can't take more than 2 in 24 hours. :(

Imigran is a very good tablet for migraines but watch for side effects. I hope they help.

Thanks. :) No side effects so far. But they've not helped that much either.

There are better one but the NHS always go cheapest first. Give it a few weeks then ask for an alternative. Just as a thought my migraines stopped after they changed one of my other medications (anti depressive).

Thanks. I am too. But it's not on prescription.:( I am still going to ask for a referral. I've had headaches pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks; but do need to get to the bottom of why I was so ill and how to prevent it.

After 5 years I was sent for for a MRI. My GP said you have *******, ****** and ********. At last I thought an answer and then she said but it could be ********.

Getting to the bottom of why you are ill sometimes makes you want to scream. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Le sigh. Tempted to see another GP. She's convinced it's migraine. I'm not and neither is the previous GP. Been given aspirin and paracetamol.

Did she say why she is convinced its migraine or did she she write prescription without explanation?

She didn't, no. I explained that I've had migraine before, which had aura too and this doesn't feel like migraine. Plus, my migraines were always in the same place - above my left eye. Whereas, I'm getting pressure in the middle of my head (it's stopped for now...) and the pain is either left or right, or rarely the back of my head. The previous GP said he doesn't think it's migraine, because I don't have the symptoms and I can actually function. I've had migraine before and I have to sleep it off. I can't do anything else.

I spoke to a friend who is a locum GP. He said that what's happening is normal and they don't normally do anything until you start having blackouts.

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally getting somewhere! :D

Saw a different GP. I explained to her what happened with the previous 2 GPs. She's sent me for an MRI scan and a blood test. Went to book the blood test after my appointment and was told it could be done now if I wanted and I said yes. I should get the test results next week.

I have now been put on Amtriplyne. (spelling?)

Now just to work out how I survive an MRI scan with hypersensitive hearing...

An update:

Granddad was released from hospital and has made it clear he doesn't want to go back. He's been given a number to call, which is an ambulance with a trained doctor and nurse. They will come out and do the care they'd normally do in hospital.

He's doing really well. He's put on some weight and goes out most days for a walk. And he's eating too.

Nothing I cansay with regards tothe illness etc. I understand whyhe doesnt want to go back into hospital but do you have a hospice? My stepson didn't want to go into hospital but we persuaded him to have a couple of nights in a hospice. He felt so happy there he stayed. He was allowed to smoke, they wheeled his bed into the smoking room , he could have had a drink if he wanted. Nothing was too much trouble.

Just a thought and it might help everyones quality of life. In our case his mum was allowed to stay there in her own room during the last few days.

It is hard I know to think like this but

Hello Nystagmite. I'm pleased things are looking a little better.

I was thinking along the same lines as Annie. Does your granddad have support from people like a Macmillan nurse, or do you have a 'hospice at home' organisation near you?

:hug: HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks. :) He's made it clear he doesn't want to go into a hospice either and would rather stay at home. He's just down the road from us; so mum said that if he needs help with care, (she's a carer) she can go down there and help out.

Thanks. :) He's made it clear he doesn't want to go into a hospice either and would rather stay at home. He's just down the road from us; so mum said that if he needs help with care, (she's a carer) she can go down there and help out.

Lovely to hear your grandad is back home - where he wants to be.

being at home to die is very important to a lot of people. our culture here isnt often supportive of that.

i looked after my mother at home as wanted. the nurses were rubbish. the home nursing help equated gossiping and talking round the kitchen table and taking calls - period!

when i asked a nurse to change the catheter bag, she told me that was my job.

The doctors tried to force mum into a hospice. However several patients had been killed off over the previous month due to the heating breaking down - and their health and safety regulations didnt alliw patients to plug in their own fires.

so hospices are not always what people make out.

there is nothing like family care with love. no one is better qualified to know a loved ones needs and wants than true family.

wishing you all much peace...

Clear33