PC World / Currys refusing to refund purchase in store ** FINALLY REFUNDED WELL DONE PC World in Ancoats **

Hoxton
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I recently ordered an iPad online via the PC world website and took delivery of it on Tuesday.

I had opened the outer cellophane packaging to take a look inside,

however the actual contents remain unused and are, of course, in brand new, factory condition.

I have since changed my mind and wished to return the iPad under DSR.

According to PC worlds Terms and Condtions regarding returns,

I can return items via post or in an actual store.

So I then went to a store yesterday only to be refused a refund in store as the item had been opened.

After arguing and pointing out the returns procedure, making note of the DSR,

I was still refused by the manager who was adamant he wasn't going to refund me.

I then went to another store around the corner and asked a member of staff

"Can i return an item I bought online, that has been opened, in store for a refund?"

He said "yes, under DSR."

This man was helpful, however I needed to speak to someone else to actually process the return.

Of course I was also turned away with the same rubbish saying since it has been opened I need to return it online via collection or post.

I said I have returned an item previously that I have ordered online (which had been opened) in store.

Their reply "Yes, cheaper items are fine but things like iPads have a different policy". What a load of BS.

Following that waste of time, I made a call to their head office CS who also don't seem to understand their own policies,

only to be told the store will not refund me. The person then opened up a complaint against the store.

This is from PC worlds website:

Returning your product to store

Whether you bought it in store, online or over the phone, all of our products can be returned to a Currys or PC World store.

Link: (can't post link due to post count but can easily be found on their website)

Here are their T&C's regarding returns:

Returns/cancellations and after sales policy

If for whatever reason you change your mind and would like to return your order after delivery, we’re happy to refund or exchange your purchase as long as it’s unopened and in its original packaging. This option is available for 21 days after delivery.

Following the Distance Selling Regulations,

we will accept items back even if you have opened the goods to inspect them.

You are entitled to a refund as long as you return your goods within 7 working days* from the day after delivery.

The goods must be in an ‘as new’ condition and returned in the original, undamaged packaging,

along with any accessories and free gifts received with it.

The product must not have been used or installed or have had any data inputted.

Whilst the goods are in your possession you must take reasonable care of them and not use them.

DVDs, CDs, memory cards and software packaging must still be sealed.

If you want to return a Software Product Activation Key card which is not faulty,

the silver strip on the back of the card must be fully intact as new.

* Working days means all days other than Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.

You need to return the goods to store, or contact us within the 7 working day period

– see three options below.

There are three ways to refund/cancel your purchase:

You can return the product to one of our stores with your receipt, bringing the card you paid with so we can credit it

You can cancel your order via the Contact Us facility on the Customer Services page

By phoning us on 08445 61 12 34 with your order reference number and delivery details to hand

We will then give you a full refund for the cost of the product plus the delivery charge paid. However we do have the right to retain any charge paid for services which have already begun or been completed. Refunds take 3-5 working days to be credited to your payment card.

We cannot refund/cancel your purchase:

If you return your product to a store without proof of purchase

There is a contract for services with the product and you have started using the services; this would include, for example, a mobile phone subscription

The seal has been broken on any DVDs, CDs, memory cards or software, including games, or on any personal hygiene products such as shavers

If the silver strip on the back of your Software Product Activation Key card has been partially or completely damaged or removed

The goods were a special order to your specification

I really don't know what to do now.

Sure I can get a refund the long way via post but it is now a matter of principle.

They're not only going against their own policies, but are refusing my consumer right to return my item.

What action can I take to get my refund and more importantly how can I take this up further, and with whom,

to make it clear thats these bad business practices will not be tolerated by consumers?

I paid via my visa debit card, perhaps a chargeback is possible? Order total was £499 :!:

Any feedback or advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Formal complaint to ceo exhaust their complaints procedure then consider legal action.

It seems its an open and shut case. Sadly they think the law doesnt apply to them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

This is the link to their returns and cancellations policy..

You do need to read a little further under the heading "Unwanted Items".. although it isn't actually quite clear what they do mean...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/returns-cancellations-878-theme.html

Unwanted products - read more

Unwanted products must be returned to store within 21 days of purchase and must be in their original, unopened packaging.

We can only accept returns and exchanges with proof of purchase. This can be the sales receipt, a bank statement or an online sales invoice.

We cannot return unwanted items that have been opened, have been used or are after 21 days of purchase.

In accordance with distance selling regulations, unwanted products bought online can be returned open within 7 days of purchase. However, they must include all original packaging, be in as new condition and not modified or excessively used in anyway.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

@citizenB

I have read that but I can't seem to understand how that grants them the right to refuse to refund me. It has been less than 7 days, I have the original packaging and the iPad is brand new and has not been used.

They said if it was unopened they would let me return it, so I i don't see why they won't let me return it the same way under DSR instore. It seems they want to fob me off as the store doesn't want to be responsible for the opened product. They love to make up their own polices such as because it's an Apple product or online is different to instore. All lies.

As for a complaint to their CEO I need to get an address or email so I will look for that.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

UPDATE

So I went into another branch in town today (Manchester Arndale) with a copy of PC world's own Terms and Conditions and returns policy, and got the same issues.

The incompetent and ignorant manager refused to refund me instore even after I had explained what DSR is

and how i have the right to return it even if it has been opened.

Argued for 15 minutes until security were called then left.

I then took a 10 minute walk to the PC World in Ancoats (4th store now)

where I finally found someone who was not only competent,

but was aware and understand not only PC World's own policy, but the DSR as well.

He processed my opened iPad which was bought online and proceeded to give me my full refund which I was entitled too.

I explained the grief I got before and he told me half the managers don't know what they are talking about and don't understand how retails works.

After he advised me to make it known that the other stores were not doing their job properly,

and that I should report the stores and managers,

I thanked him again and was on my way.

I am persistent and refuse to let any company walk over me but it shouldn't be this hard to get a refund.

I fully intend to take this further and make a formal complaint against the offending stores and through other channels.

Any comments or further advice will be appreciated.

To any Dixons group employees etc. who read this understand your workers need to be made clear of the law

and you are not, or ever will be, above it.

Step up and sort your **** out or get off the high street.

In this day and age there is no excuse for bad customer service (non-existent more like)

especially when other big retailers can do the job right,

John Lewis for example.

I am pleased you have this resolved now.

I imagine that stores only want to sell and not refund online purchases.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D