temp access sign placed in road scraped my car

karches
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Hoping someone can help me, at the bottom of my road there is a temporary sign that states 'access only' whilst some roadworks are being completed.

This sign is actually on the junction where I turn in and has been placed on the road, this has meant everytime I turn into the road I have to go round it onto the other side. Today whilst doing this a car came the other way (it is on a bend so not easily seen), to avoid the other car I turned my car back into my side of the road, however I unfortunately hit the sign and it has scraped the wheel arch of my car.

Neither myself or the other car were going fast and ultimately it was probably a misjudgement from me.

My question though is surely it is not safe for workmen to place a sign such as that in the road, there were no other signs stating to change lanes, and it was only saying that it was for access, not to avoid any other danger.

I will be writing to the council and contractor, but does anyone know if there are any legal requirements.

thanks in advance

Could always move the sign. As long as it is in view of the public and easily identifiable, then there shouldnt be a problem. Unless its a road closed sign or a danger sign.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Firstly it is a main road leading to the junction so to stop to move the sign would have been dangerous. Secondly, surely the sign should not have been put there in the first place, workmen should know where to put a sign

It wouldnt be dangerous if it still performed the function. FOr instance, if an access only sign is dead centre in the middle of the road, it can be moved over, as long as it is still on teh road and retains the same visibility and performs the same function.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

The question is are they legally allowed to put a sign such as that in the road without warnings elsewhere. Because of the nature of the road someone could easily hit it without knowing it is there? The only reason I knew it was due to me coming from the opposite direction in the morning. There are many things that are technically not dangerous, doesn't make it legal. Plus again why should I have to move a sign which the workman put there, who could I blame if I dropped it on my foot?

Normally there are lead o signs . Normally a few hundred yards prior.

Ive done a lot of roadworks,there are rules and legislation regards roadsigns,the council will be well aware of this,the sign you describe,access only,,that shouldnt be in the road at all by itself,there should be traffic cones leading to and from that sign,I see it quite often where roadworkers cut corners putting signs up where they shouldnt,you cant just stick a sign up in the road,it needs to be set out properly,I suggest you see the person in charge of roads at the council

urm.......

the sign has been there ages

you have driven passed it loads of times as you say

even if there were or were not cones, other signs etc

it would still prob have been there is the same place?

could this be you not taking enough care when using the junction knowing the issues?

i'd be careful,

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It doesnt really matter how long the sign has been there,if its a temporary sign it hasnt been there long as I said earlier all road signs temporary or not need to be placed properly,all road signs in the uk are governed by the traffic signs manual 2009,chapter 8 is the relevant place,not everybody is passing the same time loads of times as you say dx100uk,thats why there are sign posting patterns that are law and need to be adhered to.