refusing to attend counselling

badbessie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My brother-in-law as a history of depression and anxiety. His G.p as offered counselling. He as just started the process of moving onto ESA from IB and feels that this would be too much at the present time. He is now worried that if he refuses the doctor will not support him. He is going back in two weeks time and I would like opinions of anyone who as been in a similar situation.

HI, Of course it is your brother-in-laws right to refuse counselling. However, I believe he should go back to his G.P and ask exactly what he means.

I believe your G.P means Cognitive/ behavioural therapy. It may help him in a number of ways.

Anxiety is very different to each individual and the therapy is shaped to meet the needs of the individual. It as a number of forms. It can teach coping mechanisms that can reduce the amount of medications that your brother-in-law needs to take. It can also help him to start dealing with day to day situations.

Please ask your brother-in-law to read the link below. Due to the nature of the therapy it will give a good representation of his problems which may help when dealing with ATOS in the future

ww.mind.org.uk/assets/0001/7324/Making_sense_of_CBT_2012.pdf

Edited by mr_mastiff
missed letter

i can see where your coming from with this and as people have said its his right to refuse counselling if he chooses too but it might help him in the future but only when he is ready to do it though CBT can work but not for everyone

i cant see that being a big problem where his ESA is concerned you dont have to get the GP to write on the form you can put all the information on there yourself if you want to help him as long as he has his diagnoses and medication ect ect then just put as much info on as you can how it effects him? daily life ? etc etc

does he not have a CPN? or is he currently under the CMHT? ( community mental health team )

Time4change2, I could not agree more, I have two bouts of CBT the first was stopped by my counsellor because there was too many outside influences (ATOS appeals etc) affecting me. Now that that is over for now! I have just started my second course. The reason that I found it helpful with Atos was that we both keep a diary of day to day life and how I was effected and my reaction to them. Each Session lasted an hour and it provided detailed descriptions of my problems. I do not think that he should start the therapy now but should leave it as an option.

• Confused 1

Thanks for your replies, Yes he does have a CPN but he is on a course at the moment. My sister contacted the GP and it is CBT. He stated that it will start when my brother-in-law is ready. So i have jumped the gun a bit with my question. Thankyou for your help.:-)