Co-Op accusation

orangeman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Three weeks ago, I entered my local Co-Op convenience store, after purchasing a couple of items from a separate store around the corner. After paying for the items I had selected in the Co-Op, the till operative enquired if I was going to pay for the items which I had purchased from the other store.

I informed him where they had been purchased, and also that this particular Co-Op did not sell the items concerned.

He then called me a Liar, a drunk and a Shoplifter in front of the extended queue gathering by the tills.

There was no Manager available according to this cashier, when I asked for the CCTV to be reviewed.

The following day I was called a shoplifter by other local residents on numerous occasions.

I have written to the Customer complaints team at Co-Op asking for a written apology from the cashier concerned, and damages for the anger, stress, and more importantly the damage to my personal reputation. I would like to point out that this was at 1pm.

I have received no response back from Co-Op over the issue, and was wondering how long would be reasonable for them to reply, and what further action could I take over this issue?

Most companies have a period of 28 days in the complaints procedure in which to receive a response from them when instigating a complaint - this is because they need to contact the store manager who will then investigate at a local level (interview staff on duty at the time of the complaint, review CCTV if available and get answers to any further questions that may arise during the process). once that's all done they then have to compile their reply to the complainant and allow time for it to be delivered.

I would give it another week at least before chasing up.

Feebee_71

If:

A) you had purchased the items elsewhere (had a receipt?), and

B) the items weren't sold by Co-Op, I'd have probably "fronted up" and said "OK, I'm not a thief, but you are accusing me of bring a thief, so please call the police "

It puts them on the back foot, and gets an official record of the accusation.

However, in absence of that, I'd pursue them to either place a note in a local paper apologising, or asking them for the money to place an advert in the local paper stating "Co-Op paid me the money to place this, as they accept they wrongly caused local people to hear a false accusation that I was a thief" ........

Edited by BazzaS

I was similarly accused by a LIDL security person a few weeks ago (I had bottles of nonalcoholic malted drinks in a bag from elsewhere) and "fronted it"- I had been advised so to do on this forum after an incident a few years ago in TESCO.

All I did this time was:- walked in, looked at the cereals and walked out again. I was then stopped by a security guard and remembered all of the suggestions and lessons from the TESCO incident.

"Can I look in your bag?"

"Why?"

"Because I suspect you have something in your bag"

"No you can't" and walked off.

She then threatened to phone police.

"Are you arresting me?"

"No the police will arrest you."

I wandered in and out of other shops on the area, located cereal, went home.No police appeared. "Are you arresting me?" seems to work a treat.

Then I wrote a complaining letter to LIDL.

This is where I need further advice:-they say that this is entirely the fault of the security firm and nothing to do with them. This I doubt. I think it would swiftly become something to do with them were I guilty! Any ideas?

Edited by ClarkGwent
spelling grammar

The company is fully responsible for the actions of their agents. In this case, the security guards.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D