Fitness First & CARS again

1ManRiot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've read a couple of threads relating to these but the issues within are slightly different to mine.

I relocated and legitimately cancelled my membership as per the T&Cs. Due to the logistics of it all it took me a while to send them proof of a new address, largely my own doing to be fair.

Now CARS are on my back asking for money, and FF claim I owe them £130.

I notified cancellation on the 11th March 2013 and they continued to take payments from my card until 5/4/13, theoretically entitling me to use the gym until 5/5/13 (I didn't as I'd moved).

I emailed FF again to ask them to please call off CARS as I didn't believe I had a debt with them, to which I got the reply:

"Thank you for your email. I am writing in regards to your membership account, as although the future commitment of your membership has been cleared, you are still required to clear any outstanding arrears due before the cancellation.

Our records show that there are arrears outstanding of £132.85 on your membership account..

Please call our customer support centre on 01202 233813 to make payment.

Alternatively you can make a direct balance transfer through your bank to:

Account number: 56594321 Sort code: 56-00-35 Reference: C.......

If you should require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,"

Should I just ignore until it goes away or reply denying being accountable for the debt?

I wouldn't mind but I've genuinely moved on this one, not just got bored and gone somewhere else like I normally do!

If relevant, I cancelled membership with them before problem free at the end of a 12 month contract when I worked away for 3 months, before signing up again on my return. I also insisted on a rolling contract when I rejoined which I was under the illusion I was on, and was paying an extra £1 a month for. I obviously cannot prove this and likely got conned into it by someone wanting to make a sale.

if they took money after you had cancelled

i'd look at getting that back under the CPA rules

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you haven't already done so get a new card from the bank, FF tried this with me a few years ago, after I had cancelled they took another months membership fee using my bank card, which I had given them over 18 months previously! Annoyed I spoke to FF who couldn't have been any more condescending if they had had lessons in condescending and came top of the condescending class!

Went to my bank who refunded the money, FF were never heard of again.

CARS can be ignored in their puerile entirety, write, don't ring, to FF's head office and outline what you have said above, that you have legitimately moved out of the area and have cancelled on those grounds, plus there is no other FF in your area.

See what they come back with, but in a nutshell, I wouldn't pay them anything more. They have had to rewrite some of their T&C's due to the OFT demanding they do so.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi !Man,

I see no need to change any card as these payments would be made by the DD mandate which I assume you have now cancelled.

If you gave notice to quit in mid March, then it is not unreasonable that they took the next DD payment due on 5th April 2013.

If you are not aware of any arrears on the m/ship and your DD payments were all made on time as required, write or email asking them to confirm what balance they consider to be still owing and how it is made up.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)