style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok ill explain what happened and hopefully someone can help with some advice urgently if possible. We lived at an address and then moved three streets up. Now......wrongly i assumed that the council would carry on taking the money from the same account for the new property and calculate the difference (if any....this is the only time ive had to pay council tax as i have always been in the services) i generally do not check my accounts as there is never anything uintoward and the same bills always leave etc etc.

Now i received a letter from the council saying that 2 payments of £140 were due.....at that time i could only pay one so paid that immediately on the phone. They were to send a letter out so that i could work out a repayment plan for the remainder. I work a lot of hours and my partner does not work and we have two small children. Yes i should have kept track of the letter that never came from the council, due to our wedding in November (which we have scrimped and scraped for) and other daily problems.

Now, last month i noticed online on my pay statement that £400 had gone out of my salary at source. I contacted my pay dept (for a major communications company) and they could not tell me what it was for but raised an issue and gave me a ref number. Total deuctions for that month took me to £1200 with myself fiance and two children to ffed for the month and £525 rent. .......

Two weekd later nothing had materialised from my pay dep so i rang them back.....they had lost the inital complaint raised by myself and issued another. So......to make up for last month i hammered as much overtime as possible........i checked my pay statement online again for the up coming salary.......nearly £500 this time which also wiped out ALL the overtime i did. Pay dept still had no answers, so i contacted the council tax on the off chance, they confirmed that they had requested the money from source via the courts.

Now i promise this is the truth completely, i never never recieved anything from the council stating this would happen OR from my pay department asking ingoings/outgoings. Now i have also found that there is a protected earnings law?? where the salary must not go below £1500 p/m.

This has happened to me on two consecutive months now and is really putting us in financial hardship, and yet i never owed that much so can not understand why they are taking so much off me.

Please can someone help me here, is there anything i can do (apart from contact the council recovery which was advised to me byy someone at the council, i have done this and they have not replied to me)

Edited by citizenB
formatting

As above. The experts will be along soon.

A quick google about protected earnings conflicts with the amount you claim unfortunately. From what I can work out its actually only £130 per week rather than £1500 a month.

The experts will be here shortly though to suitable advise.

Regards

BM

It never rains but it pours...

As above. The experts will be along soon.

A quick google about protected earnings conflicts with the amount you claim unfortunately. From what I can work out its actually only £130 per week rather than £1500 a month.

The experts will be here shortly though to suitable advise.

Regards

BM

On the CAPS letter it says "you must not deduct any money which would reduce your employees net pay below £1500.00 per month(the protected earnings rate)

How could they take money from your salary without there being a request for an attachment of earnings ?

I have attached the CAB fact sheet on attachment of earnings - what they can and cannot take.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/debt_w/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/creditor_takes_money_from_your_wages.htm

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/996/council_tax_attachment_of_earnings

This one I think shows how much they can take in relation to earnings.

It looks as though from what you say you earn £1,500 per month, they can take 17%

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think that you will find that the CAPS leaflet does not refer to cases where a Liability Order has been issued.

There are many "fact sheets" on the web but I tend to use the only mentioned by "Citizenb" as it provides an excellent "calculator tool" which will use the information provided on line to calculate the amount of deductions.

PS: A local authority cannot have more than TWO Liability Orders operating at any one time.

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/996/council_tax_attachment_of_earnings