MS And Parkinson's Sufferers Told: 'Get To Work'

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had to check the date to ensure it wasn't 1st April !!

Thousands of people with progressive conditions such as Parkinson's and MS are being told they could recover enough to look for work, according to charities.

The government's controversial Work Capability Assessment is again under fire after a coalition of four leading charities claimed that 45% of people were told they would be able to work again following assessment for Employment Support Allowance.

Parkinson's UK, MS Society, National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society and Cystic Fibrosis Trust have called for the abolition of the system saying it is "farcical" and "defies belief".

Read more :

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ms-parkinsons-sufferers-told-010953015.html?vp=1#m6kqvLM

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesman said: "It's ridiculous to suggest that we think people with degenerative conditions will 'recover'. However, it is important that we don't simply write people off. There is strong evidence that working can be beneficial for many people who have a health condition."

They claim that working is beneficial. Yet, what good does it do for someone who comes home every single day in pain?

They claim that working is beneficial. Yet, what good does it do for someone who comes home every single day in pain?

It does no good at all for such a person, it's just part of the DWP dogma. I mean, I suffer from mild depression and it does help me to work, so it can sometimes be a good idea. But if I had MS or Parkinson's? Of course it wouldn't help. And there are plenty of other conditions to which that applies.

But it's become a dogma. The problem isn't a poor economy, no sir, it's all those lazy unemployed and sick people! Of course, when the economy picks up and more jobs become available, the lazy unemployed go out and get jobs, laziness being cyclical just like the economy itself.

The sick, though? That's a tougher nut to crack. But crack it they will. And they'll keep working on this task until every quadriplegic has a job down the mines. Or maybe as a chimney sweep, since mining was abolished in the 80s.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Or maybe as a chimney sweep, since mining was abolished in the 80s.

Not too many properties being built with fireplaces now, Antone :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 5 weeks later...

I too have OA, collapsed vertabrae in my neck which affect my right hand and am expected to actively seek work.... I can't type for long periods, am on Tramadol and Pregabalin and sometimes literally am a 'walking pain in the neck'.

I went to an interview for a job yesterday way out of the 'hour's travelling time' the DWP like to state and was completely shattered by the time I got home, if I was doing that journey every day of the week (twice a day) plus the work I would end up spending the whole weekend in bed recovering - is that a good life to lead or not?

However these ATOS twerps need to have 'progressive chronic degenerative diseases' themselves to fully understand that some people are unable to work full time all the time once you have one of these painful episodes.

My father has a fireplace at home. My maternal great-grandfather was a chimney sweep and had 6 lads working for him.

I think the whole 'benefits scrounger' dogma has been blown out of proportion, there was an article in the Daily Wail about the 1 Trillion pounds spent on the system since 2000 and they include pension payments, which made everyone turn against the article... I also wondered if salaries and failed IT systems were included to 'bump the figure up'.

I too have OA, collapsed vertabrae in my neck which affect my right hand and am expected to actively seek work.... I can't type for long periods, am on Tramadol and Pregabalin and sometimes literally am a 'walking pain in the neck'.

I went to an interview for a job yesterday way out of the 'hour's travelling time' the DWP like to state and was completely shattered by the time I got home, if I was doing that journey every day of the week (twice a day) plus the work I would end up spending the whole weekend in bed recovering - is that a good life to lead or not?

However these ATOS twerps need to have 'progressive chronic degenerative diseases' themselves to fully understand that some people are unable to work full time all the time once you have one of these painful episodes.

Not being funny but do you think you would be able to manage a week in one go? That's the other bit ATOS miss, you might be able to do something for a while on one day but you can't do it day in, day out.

I don't think I have got that job, didn't have any of the qualifications they listed but had plenty of practical experience.

I wouldn't be able to manage a job like that with lots of travelling involved, particularly going up and down stairs in public (I need to hold a handrail and go down in my own pace...) but I am trying to find something that pays enough locally to get me off all benefits and pay all the rent, council tax and bills, a bit impossible in the current economic climate (which I believe is still going downhill).

Haven't yet had an ATOS assessment but may have to have one if the ESA goes beyond 18 weeks.

Not being funny but do you think you would be able to manage a week in one go? That's the other bit ATOS miss, you might be able to do something for a while on one day but you can't do it day in, day out.

This is the problem I have. And most of the issues I have aren't covered in the WCA.

My father has a fireplace at home. My maternal great-grandfather was a chimney sweep and had 6 lads working for him.

I think the whole 'benefits scrounger' dogma has been blown out of proportion, there was an article in the Daily Wail about the 1 Trillion pounds spent on the system since 2000 and they include pension payments, which made everyone turn against the article... I also wondered if salaries and failed IT systems were included to 'bump the figure up'.

Being called a scrounger really gets to to me. I served in the Army worked all my life from 16 to 49 and never claimed any benefit. Yes there are scroungers who work the system but before pointing the finger please make sure its pointed in the right direction.

I too have the same problem as you have - pain down my right arm to my hand. On top of that my lower back is completely knackered and have to walk like a penguin due to right hip problem for no more than 20 metres, then I am in pain. On top of that I have multiple internal problems, aneurism in the stomach wall, diseased and dead pancreas that is medicated with high regular 12 hour doses of Morphine and those are just a few of my problems. Yet I have no problem driving, just completed my regular 800 mile round trip (every 4th week) to see my father, I can work in my garden, I have just cut a 10' high hedge approx. 120' long, I recently cleaned out all of my guttering and washed down the bargeboards/soffits up my 20' ladder.

I am in the Support Group of ESA - have been now for 4 years since I first claimed, receive DLA HRM & MRC.

Am I disabled and sick? My medical staff most certainly believe so as does the DWP.

Have the DWP got it wrong then? No, I pass enough of the qualifying descriptors for ESA and have produced enough medical evidence that the DWP have accepted for the DLA.

Am I able to do some work, yes.

What do I think then of those that are in the Work Group of ESA who say that they are totally incapable of working?

What do I think then of those that are claiming JSA and restrict the type of job that they will accept?

Edited by bedofweeds

What do I think then of those that are in the Work Group of ESA who say that they are totally incapable of working?

They might be. Some people are wrongly put into the work group for whatever reason. ESA is based on descriptors. Many of us have disabilities which don't fit into these descriptors, yet, are just as disabling. I currently suffer from daily headaches and the pressure in my head goes a bit funny. Not covered in ESA. But still very disabling at times.

I too have the same problem as you have - pain down my right arm to my hand. On top of that my lower back is completely knackered and have to walk like a penguin due to right hip problem for no more than 20 metres, then I am in pain. On top of that I have multiple internal problems, aneurism in the stomach wall, diseased and dead pancreas that is medicated with high regular 12 hour doses of Morphine and those are just a few of my problems. Yet I have no problem driving, just completed my regular 800 mile round trip (every 4th week) to see my father, I can work in my garden, I have just cut a 10' high hedge approx. 120' long, I recently cleaned out all of my guttering and washed down the bargeboards/soffits up my 20' ladder.

I am in the Support Group of ESA - have been now for 4 years since I first claimed, receive DLA HRM & MRC.

Am I disabled and sick? My medical staff most certainly believe so as does the DWP.

Have the DWP got it wrong then? No, I pass enough of the qualifying descriptors for ESA and have produced enough medical evidence that the DWP have accepted for the DLA.

Am I able to do some work, yes.

What do I think then of those that are claiming JSA and restrict the type of job that they will accept?

This may apply to YOU, that you can work and be in the support group, but be assured it does not apply to everyone, and you're giving a totally unrealistic view of the illness and disability suffered by those in the support group.

Let me give another view of what it's like to suffer illness and disability severe enough for the support group. I rarely leave my house - maybe once every two months, I never go in the garden because I can't manage the steps (the steps at the front of the house are also difficult). I can't undertake a car journey of more than 20 minutes due to pain, and had to give up my mobility car because I had difficulties driving and couldn't manage to walk to the car on many occasions. I spend most of my day alternating between resting, rushing to the loo (due to crohn's disease), and trying to do small jobs round the house (5 minutes at a time). I also have substantial pain, nausea and extreme fatigue - doing something like showering or slicing half a butternut squash completely wipes me out. I also have a tendency to fall over and exacerbations of my condition when I'm much worse. I haven't visited my family in several years (who live 200 miles away), and see no one socially.

Now I don't write this for sympathy, but to illustrate that the impression you give of the effects of illness suffered by someone in the support group is highly misleading. There are plenty who are as ill as me in WRAG or even failing the WCA. What you do illustrate is that passing a WCA is no indication of how ill someone is on any given day. Many conditions are variable, and many conditions mean that the activity or stress of working would worsen their condition, for instance MS, where even when someone does not have a lot of outward symptoms in the early stages, fatigue can be a huge issue for them - unfortunately there is no fatigue descriptor in the WCA, and ATOS do not appear to assess if working or work related activity would worsen a person's condition.

Your situation is NOT the same as everyone else's. I'm not judging you for the activities you can do while claiming the benefits stated - I know that the ability to do tasks intermittently does not mean these can be done day in, day out as would be needed for a job. Why are you judging others?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Estellyn I totally support your view. Some days with a bit of planning and numerous rest breaks I can achieve a number of tasks around the house. In the normal workplace I cannot take four hours to do a 1 hour task nor take the day/week off because the pain will not allow me to function. I miss work, I miss being independent but I know I must live with my condition.

Correct,by the right wing press and sky news......

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Bedofweeds in a previous post you stated that you gave yourself 100mgs of morphine twice a day plus top up doses of of oramorph I would challenge that you are unsafe to carry out the tasks that you say you do in your post. If you are stopped by the Police and tested under the new DUI laws you will be arrested because your blood level will be massively over the limit.

You do become tolerant to morphine but that will not alter the fact that your blood level will be way over the limit. I too take morphine based analgesia and find complex tasks at times impossible how you can put yourself and others at risk by driving is truly astonishing.

Estellyn I totally support your view. Some days with a bit of planning and numerous rest breaks I can achieve a number of tasks around the house. In the normal workplace I cannot take four hours to do a 1 hour task nor take the day/week off because the pain will not allow me to function. I miss work, I miss being independent but I know I must live with my condition.

I miss work too, I loved my job.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop