Is this phone tapping/hacking ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I called a friend land-line to land-line.

When he picked up the phone to answer there was a fax tone as if the phone line was connected to both phone and fax and he'd forgotten to switch off the fax and my call triggering the fax answering mode.

He hasn't got a fax! neither have I.

My thoughts - he's quite involved in some sensitive work uncovering some rather 'messy' stuff in a finance company and they know he's putting them in a difficult position - it's big money!

The only way I see a fax machine kicking in is if someone tapped/hacked his phone and had a fax themselves they too had forgotten to switch off.

I've had faxes since they were invented and cost £1200 back in the 80's so I know how they kick in, but in these days of digital telephone lines how could a fax machine kick in on a land line to land line when neither of us had one?

That's my question. How and is his phone being tapped? He says this has happened a few times before. We don't have crossed lines anymore since it all went digital so how does this happen?

If it is being tapped or hacked I think they now call it, how or what does he need to do to find out if it is?

Any of you telephone techi's have any ideas - I'd really appreciate knowing how we can find out.

Thank you.

A1

It happens quite often some companies still fax bulk data overnight etc. Hardly likely to be sinister if covert tapping was happening I can assure you, you would have no idea.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

It happens quite often some companies still fax bulk data overnight etc. Hardly likely to be sinister if covert tapping was happening I can assure you, you would have no idea.

Thanks Brigadier, Okay, call it paranoia because what is being uncovered seems to lap with the stories we read of law firms hiring people to hack and what is being uncovered and done would merit highly a PD poking around. This is not boy scout stuff I assure you.

So, take it that this was a call late morning - not overnight and I am not a company and neither is he so neither of us are involved in any bulk mail shots by fax.

Forgive my forensic Mrs Doubtfire approach, but this is serious if it is happening.

I accept, whilst having absolutely no knowledge of such covert activities, that generally we would not be aware, but I am looking at the 'electrical' side of this rather than the paranoid side.

Technically, how can this happen?

As a kid I got crossed lines with the woman across the road, great fun listening in to her calls when it happened, but these days we don't hear of them much do we?

So technically is this still possible to have a fax kick-in like this?

As for having no idea - how did the News of the World victims find out they'd been hacked? There must have been a way.

A1

Sounds to me like someone has tapped a wrong number into their fax machine. I had this many times (at all hours of the day & night) before finding the fax preference service and signing up with my phone number.

Sorry, even after all these years I still haven't learned how to split different posts up to quote....anyway, thanks edge of the map.

Fax lines calling in, yes I can recognise that, but when I call another number, how can a fax line be connected at precisely the same time into the same pair of lines connecting?

A1

might sound like fax

but it was prob AX25, all you heard was the digital conversion at the local greenbox

it actually happens quite a lot.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx, I take it that AX25 is the Amateur Packet Radio gadgets run via Linux? which would mean someone else's as we both run on bog standard Windows PC's & telephones. No linux, no Radio gadgets.

I sincerely hope so, but I wouldn't put it past these lawyers, banks or finance companies involved to have hacked as this is mega bucks involved. Be nice to know how we could check this.

Do you know how, for example these celebs got their awareness of the phones being hacked - how can they find out?

Sorry to labour this.

A1