This could run and run....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody..

.. Been spending the last few days reading avidly about things I've avoided all my life,

after I discovered that we're up the creek,

dropped both paddles and there's piranahs in the water...

Oh and the boat's sprung a leak...or two.

Sadly I'd left all money stuff to my wife who got into a bit of a muddle.

The more serious things got the harder it became for her to tell me, while I just carried on in blissful ignorance.

However, it's all out in the open now and together we are trying to sort out the mountain of debts and (possible) eviction.

I'm doing the research and my wife is sorting through mountains of paperwork.

Thankfully she hadn't thrown anything much away.

We're looking at PPI, Bank Charges and a missold mortgage...at least!

This site is wonderful.

I've found out more in the past few days that I had in a month trying to Google things and sift through the irrelevant stuff it throws at you.

Thanks everyone for your dilligance and what seems to be good solid advice and plain common sense and reassurance.

When I'm totally up to speed with all this I WILL be asking questions..

..Brace yourselves!

I am sure we will be able to help when you start a thread.

Excellent that nothing has been thrown away - that will be a great help in reclaiming PPI and default charges.

Just start a thread in the relevant forum when you are ready and I am sure you will find there is a lot of help available.

• Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi I would suggest making a separate file for each 'debt'/Account, so you can get all the data on each one in one place.

List each one by Creditor, Amount O/S and status/age/ defaulted/ with a debt collector/ contact made.

It would be advisable to check at least to of the 3 main credit reference agencies, Equifax, Experian (Credit Expert) Call Credit has a free offshoot called Noddle but it's no always up to date.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks Brigadier2jcs (think I'll just type 'Brig' from now on!) My wife has been busy sorting papers roughly in the way you suggested and is now ammending her sorts accordingly. We've done Experion and it wasn't good...

As an afterthought, I had thought up a way to deal with persistant calls. I Google the number to find out who they are (Mackenzie Hall, Sigma, Lowell,CDS etc). Then I put them in the phone directory and assign a jolly little tune to them, so whenever they ring, I get a nice stress free tune to listen to, and I know not to answer! Little victories....

Brig is just fine!!

Are all those DCAs writing to her at present?

The OFT Guidance on Debt Collection provides for 'debtors' to request to be contacted in their preferred manner, so you can tell all of the to communicate in writing only.

If a call does get answered DO NOT answer any so called 'security questions' just state IN WRITTING ONLY and hang up.

On thing stands out immediately LOWELL being involved this company is issuing Statutory Demands for Payment on debts of £750.00 and over so it may well be best to deal with matters that they have their grubby hands on first.

(I'm happy to assist with draft letters if needed).

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hi again Brig... Well the letters are only coming from a few, and they have consisted of the whole spectrum of threats including a doorstep call, none of which happened. We also have had badly photocopied letter heads, pretending to be solicitors. and several with big shouty red capitals... none of which were followed up. The phone calls have stopped for now (3 whole weeks!). The only time my wife accidentally answered she refused to give personal information and they didn't ring back.

As I said earlier, I've only just recently been on the case and until I'm completely aware of everything we owe, and the status of the debts, I'm not contacting anyone. When I'm sure in my head of a plan of action then we'll get moving.

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a much clearer picture of what is happening.

Thanks for the heads-up about Lowell I'll make sure we prioritise that one. Thanks also for your kind offer of letter assistance, I may well take you up on that when the time comes.

I'm logging out now because there's a retired greyhound downstairs who needs his dinner and a walk.... and so do I! Cheers.

Hi again all.... We are still wading through everything, and reading all we can about ours and similar plights and solutions/strategies. I've just got a fairly simple question for the moment which is, does requesting a CAR count as 'contact' therefore resetting the time barred clock, (if within the 6 year deadline)? and is a P.O. the only means of payment of the £1 fee? I have a chequebook and could keep track that way...

Hoping to hear from someone about this..

Thanks...

Hi Trelawney, I am moving your thread to the "General Debt" forums for the time being - then when you need to be more specific we can pop you in the correct forums :) This is purely an administrative move and you wont lose this thread - in fact I see you are on line and looking at the moment.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Good morning,

SAR? or CCA? SAR Subject Access Request under DPA 1998 £10 40 day time scale

CCA request for agreement Under CCA 1974 £1 12+ b2 working days.

Cheque is fine Mark clearly FOR STATUTORY FEE ONLY on front and back.

Hi again all.... We are still wading through everything, and reading all we can about ours and similar plights and solutions/strategies. I've just got a fairly simple question for the moment which is, does requesting a CAR count as 'contact' therefore resetting the time barred clock, (if within the 6 year deadline)? and is a P.O. the only means of payment of the £1 fee? I have a chequebook and could keep track that way...

Hoping to hear from someone about this..

Thanks...

CAR ? - I think you mean either

SAR - Subject Access Request - request for ALL data

CCA - A request for copy of the agreement.

In answer to your question - NO making either of these requests does not count as acknowledging there is a liability and does not reset the SB clock.

You can send a cheque if you wish :)

BTW, I have also attached a budget sheet for you below. It might be useful in working out your finances.

Ellens Budget Sheet.xls

BCOBS

Sorry CitizenB and Brig, but yes of course I meant to type 'CCA' !, I was in a tearing hurry because I had to dash off to town to the dentists by 9, and do a couple of things. Everything here in Cornwall is miles away and its a matter of major logistics just to get around, especially as there are loads of visitors on the roads at this time of year....roll on winter!

As you can see I successfully navigated myself to this forum, after a few wrong turns! However, thanks for the reassurance that the CCA request will not reset the clock. Would it be advisable to write at the top of the request that 'This letter is not an acknowlegement of debt'? as I see that one or two people have advised this in the past, and I'm well aware that some of these companies are less than scrupulous in their methods...

Also thanks for the XL budget sheet, I'm sure it will prove useful.

Do you know what? I'm starting to feel just a tiny bit empowered....

Yes, you can always head up your letters in that way. Although I would put.

"This letter does not acknowledge any liability."

BCOBS

Ok, This is the state of our debts (excluding the mortgage) so far... (there will probably be more by the time we've finished.

We have 5 paid up debts with PPI with sums ranging from £150 th £3,500. My wife having been under the impression that it was expected of her to sign up to PPI as part of the deal. So far we've worked out the PPI etc for 3 of them and it comes to £4323.78, and there's still 2 more to add to that.

There are 3 debts being paid to Lowell at an agreed £1, £2, and £3 per month respectivly, the combined total being £2889.63.

There is one further payment of £1 per month to Lowells, which so far we have been unable to trace who or what it's for

The 3 creditors are Littlewoods catalogues, Littlewoods credit card and Ambrose Wilson. There is PPI on the credit card and Ambrose Wilson. There are also late payment chages on Littlewoods Catalogue and Littlewoods credit card, over credit limit charges on the credit card, admin charges on Ambrose Wilson and various ad hoc charges on the catalogue. These charges, (including PPI) come to £1872.82. This is an underestimate as we haven't got all the statements.

There are a further 2 negotiated payments of £1 per month directly to Barclaycard which are for debts totaling £1,682. The PPI and charges on these total £1087,28.

There is an outstanding Barclays current account which we have just been informed has been sold to SigmaRed Limited for £1,777.75. (not what they would have paid, I'll bet) This account had an 'ovedraft protection fee' of £4 initially which rose to £5.60 per month. While this account was active a total of £608 was paid. There were also Barclays additions account fees which totalled £1,022. This figure does not include the interest on the overdraft or bank charges.

There is also a Barclayloan for which the last regular payment was made in 2009. At that point the debt was £1,589.56. The last communication was from Credit Security Limited in 2011 who said the amount owed was then £1,763.83. However, a payment of £5 was made to Barclays in 2010 I believe.

There is a debt owed to Ace catalogue . The account was opened in 9-12-99 and various puchases were made and payments were made until 22-9-07 When payments stopped the amount owing was £336. The last contact by letter was from Mackenzie Hall who stated that 'they have had assigned to them all right, title, interest and benefit to your account'. Interestingly, they make no mention of the sum involved in their letter. There was PPI of £136.66 and admin charges of £402.65 during the length of the contract. (We are double checking to see if a 'token' £1 payment was made at any time since the last payment).

There's a storecard debt of £314. Last contact was from Apex credit management Ltd in 28-10-10. PPI £84.81, late payment fees of £180, and an 'over credit limit fee' of £45. Last payment was on 15-10-08. (We are double checking to see if a 'token' £1 payment was made at any time since the last payment).

There is a more recent debt of £39.56 which is now being administered by S.R.J. and previously by Moorcroft debt recovery. This dates from sometime last year. (We're trying to trace exactly when).

Finally,(for now), There is another debt from 1st Quote Insurance, for a policy that was automatically renewed despite being cancelled within time by phone. They cancelled it themselves after a month, but charged a 'penalty fee'. It is for £234.27.

What amazes me is that despite my wife running up debts with Barclays, and them sending nasty letters etc, they still were quite happy to let her take out more loans and run up more overdrafts.... Incredible.

Needless to say my head is spinning a bit at the moment and I'm not really sure what to do first.... Any ideas?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Edited by Trelawney66

IMHO, your first move is to obtain statements for those accounts on which there is Payment Protection Insurance and then complete the spread sheets and send in your request/demand for refund.

PPI was not mandatory and your wife should never have been told it was.

You could use those same statements to do separate spread sheets for any default charges.

To obtain statements you will need to send Subject Access Requests - if you have more than one account with a bank - you only need to send ONE SAR request.

It will cost you £10.00 and they have 40 calendar days in which to respond. Although I recall you said your wife was a pack rat and you might well have the statements :lol:

You will find the spread sheets you require in the link below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011(1-Viewing)-nbsp

For the PPI claims - you will need to complete your spread sheet and then download the complaint form from the Financial Ombudsman website - take copies of both (for your own records) and with a short covering letter, send to the bank asking for your money back. If the debt is still with the Original Creditor, then they will almost certainly want to offset any refund against the outstanding balance (they can only do that for "arrears"). If the account has been assigned/sold on - then the money should come to you.

Meanwhile, if you are getting any hassle from those creditors/DCAs where you are making claims against them. You should respond by saying there is a dispute in place and you would like them to hold off until the dispute is resolved.

Any questions.. just yell :)

BCOBS

Finally,(for now), There is another debt from 1st Quote Insurance, for a policy that was automatically renewed despite being cancelled within time by phone. They cancelled it themselves after a month, but charged a 'penalty fee'. It is for £234.27.

I am not sure what you can do with this one. Are you able to prove that you wrote/phoned and cancelled this ? If you cancelled within the correct time, then they are taking the mickey.

BCOBS

Hi CitizenB, Thanks for the input I will get cracking on your recomendations in the morning. I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed by what I was discovering. I feel very sorry for my wife who has been carrying all this for so long and not knowing what to do for the best

I'm retired now and only get a basic state pension, and my wife (who is younger than me) lost her job last year. She's been trying ever since to get back to work but jobs for the over 50s are few and far between down here.

Still, tomorrow is a new day, so we'll see what it brings..........

Goodnight and thanks for today.

Hello...again... I have downloaded all four spreadsheets, and we are makng a start on both understanding and completing them. Am I right in thinking we should be using all of them?

Our rough, preliminary calculations (on paper) suggest that we could just about clear 90% of the outstanding debts! I'm hoping that a) we're right! and b) we win!

(changed my avatar to reflect my new attitude...I no longer feel like a Lemming!)

I will try and find someone who can advise regarding the spread sheets Trelawney.

That would be absolutely brilliant if you could wipe out a chunk of your debt by reclaiming.

:lol: I love the new avvie..

BCOBS

Hi

Dropping in as requested by citizenB.

As you will have seen, the spreadsheets all do different things and are for different types of account.

So that we can look at the PPI aspects in detail, could you please start a new thread for each claim in the PPI forum here and I will help you with the spreadsheets.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?111-Payment-Protection-Insurance-(PPI)

We can then cross-link your threads back to here.

If we try and do it all on this thread then it will get very confusing.

Hello ims21... Thank you very much for your offer of assistance. As an 'arty' person this is all a steep learning curve for me, normally spreadsheets have me running for the hills, but I'm having a crash course, so I should know what the hell I'm doing (in a basic sort of way) soon. I have family commitments all weekend, but should be able to make a start on Monday... once I've managed to get the left side of my brain running smoothly!