Letter from Marston but don't recognise reference number or client

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, wondering if anybody can help me shed any light on this. My partner has received a letter from a company called Marston with a client HMCTS and a client ref which he doesn't recognise.

its also for an amount that he doesn't recognise

they are stating that they are in receipt of a magistrates court order which he also has no idea about.

Is this a legitimate company and how can I find out what it's for without telephoning them?

consumeractiongroup.co.uk

Any Magistrates court fine been issued at some point ? Marstons are one of the largest bailiff companies and have a contract with the courts to collect fines.

Partner could contact their local Magistrates court to find out whether any fine is registered in their name. If they don't know about a court fine, it could be a DVLA type issue, that is now with Magistrates. e.g not renewing tax disc in time or doing the SORN, not advising DVLA of sale of a vehicle.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

HMCTS = Her Majesties Courts & Tribunal Service?? OR

HMRC H.M Revenue an Customs?

This is I would think some kind of court fine/penalty.

How is the client described?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

He does have a magistrates court fine, which he is to pay £10 a week, but this is for a different amount and the ref number is completely different, so don't think it can be the same one. I will get him to telephone the court tomorrow and check it, thanks guys! ps the client is described as HMCTS Greater Manchester but the magistrates was a different court

HMCTS Manchester is just a postal address for how this has been dealt with and where the Distress Warrant has been dealt with. I assume the Court that dealt with this was in the North West Region. The amount being claimed will differ because of what Marstons are charging.

Has he missed any payments or paid them late? Did he receive a Final Steps Notice prior to the Bailiff being involved? If not has he moved since the original fine was aawarded?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, but he got the letter v late and had already missed 2 of the first payments, (he's paid them now) but he also received this bailiffs letter, which is dated 2 days before the first due date, at the same time because he'd been away, so that's another reason why we didn't think it was the same case. He received no other letters

But the date of this letter from the baliffs is dated 2 days before the first payment was due, so they wouldn't have known if he were to pay it or not, as he would've still had 2 days left, if you know what I mean?

If the letter has been sent by POST then a fee of £85 would have been applied. Is the balance similar to the fine that he is paying ( at £10 per month)

I would not be surprised to hear back that because of the 1st default the Fines Officer has elected for a Distress Warrant to be issued.

We will know more in the morning. Please post back.

But the date of this letter from the baliffs is dated 2 days before the first payment was due, so they wouldn't have known if he were to pay it or not, as he would've still had 2 days left, if you know what I mean?

HMCTS sometimes don't do joined up thinking and overlook things like dates. Hopefully I'm wrong but we can only wait and see what you find out tomorrow.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Right we've to the bottom of it, my partner phoned the hmcts and it isn't for his recent speeding fine.

They managed to trace it back from july 2007 when they said he was caught with no tax.

He has never been caught with no tax and all correspondence up until now has been going to our old address, so this marston letter is the first he's heard of it.

The court have booked him in to make a statutory declaration next week and the bailiffs have been put on hold.

What a polarvar!

The only thing we can think of, is that his van was cloned by travellers around that time as they were caught fly tipping so it all came to light.

thanks for your help guys, I would never have thought to phone the court, I just thought it was a bogus letter!

• 1 month later...