• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. And, I also continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Statutory Demand - hand delivered after the 18 day limit.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3881 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all.

My wife has just told me about this, so it's possibly a damage reduction situation now. I don't know. She took out a loan, which I didn't know about, in 2002. (we were not married then). On Monday the 19th of August 2013 at 6 pm, there is a door knock and she receives a package. I was busy and thought nothing of it. Today she tells me about it.

BW Legal have sent her a bunch of confusing terminology which translates into give us £7000+ within 18 days from the date of this letter or we will bankrupt you. The letter was dated the 1st of August. Recieved the day AFTER the 18 day period and just before a bank holiday weekend. What a co-incidence.

As I write this I have no idea what she has done about this debt in the past. She tells me she once wrote making an offer, can't remember when this was, but it was never acknowledged. This may or may not have been over 6 years ago.

She has written back to them in the last couple of days. "I've sorted it!" is all she will say. I have no idea how. She seems not to have a copy of a letter.

Firstly, how does the letter being delivered late stand? There is no printed date stamp, no evidence of it's delivery date. She did write the date on the envelope when she read it though.

What next? I need more info from wife. Until then any pointers would be gratefully received.

Mike.

Edited by cheesysocks
removed medical reference

Somethings not quite right. Im not one to judge but it seems your wife is hiding something.

Is this a loan/overdraft/mortgage etc? each has their own set of rules to follow.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

first don't panic. More details required, experts will be along to help. OC will be needed and date of last payment, check if PPI on loan and if any charges can be reclaimed.

Thanks for the reply but...

• what is "OC"?
  • check if PPI on loan? You mean insurance I assume?
  • Check with who if what charges can be reclaimed? The PPi?

This sounds like a Statutory Demand for Payment, the first step on the bankruptcy ladder.

Which company sent this 'package'?

A credit file check is essential asap.

Has there been any correspondence from debt collection agencies do you know?

This is potentially serious if this is what it appears to be then action was required to set aside the statutory demand, if not done then a BR petition will follow.

You need to get answers from your wife now.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

OC = Original Creditor, who was the loan with.

PPI has been mis-sold loads of times, so there is a chance it can be claimed back.

Same with any life insurance sold with the loan.

So the guys on here can help you need to give as much info as possible e.g.

Date loan taken out

Who with

How long for

Date last payment made

Charges added by DCA's

Try and get the wife to talk about it and see if she has any paperwork.

These **** bags often don't have a leg to stand on, they just buy debts for pence and try it on to see if they can claim loads.

Chances are she has had threatening texts, calls, emails etc and is being bullied into paying.

You probably need to get a copy of the original agreement (£1) and a SAR (£10) which will give you all the information they hold on the loan.

Yes, this does indeed sound like a statutory demand and it is not unusual for BW Legal to deliver these well after the date on the Letter.

Your word will be good enough for the date of service and if your wife is intending to set this aside, then she will be signing an affidavit to say when the Stat Demand came into her possession.

Wooks as asked some questions if could answer them, then perhaps we can help your wife perhaps get this set aside.

If you do a search on CAG for Stat Demand, in the Legal Success forums then you will see pretty much what you need to do.

There are plenty of people on CAG who will be able to advise, if your wife wants our help.. just ask.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ask your wife if any valid statutory default notice pursuantto s.87(1) ever been served on her.

Ask your wife if any ppi on this account/debt?

Tell your wife that she needs to be open and honest with youas regards this claimed debt under the statutory demand.

Has your wife ever made a CCA Request pursuant to s.77/78 ofthe Consumer Credit Act 1974 (as amended) to this creditor?

Come back and confirm all of the above, thank you in advancefor your response and please understand that we can only provide ouradvice/opinion on this matter as regards your/your wife’s full response to thesame.

Kind regards

The Mould

Evening again.

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate you all bothering to help.

I've been out at work (yes, on a Sunday afternoon) and just come back in. Wife has told me a bit more. It was a loan from the Bank of Scotland. Not a mortgage, just a standard unsecured loan. At the moment I have no idea if there was PPI. I doubt we'll find the original docs. Contacting HBOS will give this answer.

No idea about the statutory default notice pursuant to s.87(1).

She has never asked anyone for a CCA request.

Reading more into the letter it says...

BWLegal Debt Recovery Solicitors, are the company the letter is from.

Their client it Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd.

Original creditor HBOS PLC.

£7,217.10p

The letter says all correspondence to them. What about writing to courts etc? I assume they're trying to scare you off of contacting others?

It then says "With this letter you will have been served with a Statutory Demand...". Then there are scary words for nearly 2/3rds of a page telling us what bankcruptcy might mean to you.

Having thrown in the scare, it says it is possible to avoid this by a "realistic settlement offer".

Now the biggie. A copy of the letter will be forthcoming, but my wife has written making an offer. I don't yet know the details, she used a standard letter she got from somewhere. Does this negate any 6 year Statute Bar, something a set aside might have come from?

Mike.

Edited by cheesysocks
Added further info.

It just had to be Lowell!!

What has she done so far?

Get credit reference file NOW!!

DO NOT look at offers of payment DO NOT contact anyone yet!

When was any payment or acknowledgment in writing made on this, this is VERY important!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Theyve offered a discount too so its guaranteed to be a lemon debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Evening again.

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate you all bothering to help.

I've been out at work (yes, on a Sunday afternoon) and just come back in. Wife has told me a bit more. It was a loan from the Bank of Scotland. Not a mortgage, just a standard unsecured loan. At the moment I have no idea if there was PPI. I doubt we'll find the original docs. Contacting HBOS will give this answer.

No idea about the statutory default notice pursuant to s.87(1).

She has never asked anyone for a CCA request.

Reading more into the letter it says...

BWLegal Debt Recovery Solicitors, are the company the letter is from.

Their client it Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd.

Original creditor HBOS PLC.

£7,217.10p

The letter says all correspondence to them. What about writing to courts etc? I assume they're trying to scare you off of contacting others?

It then says "With this letter you will have been served with a Statutory Demand...". Then there are scary words for nearly 2/3rds of a page telling us what bankcruptcy might mean to you.

Having thrown in the scare, it says it is possible to avoid this by a "realistic settlement offer".

Now the biggie. A copy of the letter will be forthcoming, but my wife has written making an offer. I don't yet know the details, she used a standard letter she got from somewhere. Does this negate any 6 year Statute Bar, something a set aside might have come from?

Mike.

What has your wife offered to settle this debt?

Kind regards

The Mould

It just had to be Lowell!!

What has she done so far?

Get credit reference file NOW!!

DO NOT look at offers of payment DO NOT contact anyone yet!

When was any payment or acknowledgement in writing made on this, this is VERY important!!

Once Again Lowell trying to pull their weight, The guys here will help you Cheesysocks. I think a complaint to the OFT / Ombudsman is in order regarding what they have given you after all this is over... Information that is given out has to clear and precise to the point of where anyone can read it and understand it...

I know your priorities are in getting this sorted at the moment and i Respect that.

Check Noddle EF and Experian for credit info, etc... That way you can see if it is past the 6 year SB period

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Lowell are once again using the BR system as a method of debt collection, before exhausting all others, a breach of OFT Guidance.

Get the information asked for in post 10# then we can tackle this head on.

Good evening all.

Apologies for length of time to respond, I know you're taking your personal time to help.

I have the original agreement, there's a surprise. It is a "Creation Personal Loan" from the Bank of Scotland. To my wife in her maiden name at this address, dated 20th March 2001. It was a £4000 loan, £1227.60 BOS Creditcare Bronze , £2711.60 interest at 17.8% and a total of 7939.20 to repay.

I have letters from BOS starting Jan 2002 where she was defaulting. FYI her husband had left her and she was alone and struggling financially. The loan was for living expenses, not fancy clothes etc.

Default notice under s87(1) of the CCA 74 issued to her on the 3rd of Feb 2002. At that time it was £301 in arrears.

J&J collections started writing to her in March 2002. £50 admin charge added.

Blair, Oliver and Scott started contacting in May 2002. They accepted an offer of £1 a month in March and again in August of 2002.

We were married early 2005. I have never been involved in her finances, they have always been personal to her. I respected her privacy.

She believes the £1 payments were continued until approx. the end of 2008. Early in 2009 she became very ill, was given a 20% chance to live and survived life changing surgery. (Ulcerative Colitis.) Was in hospital for about 12 weeks and it was a full year before the physical scars really closed. During this time I discovered some stuff about her finances but not this.

There are no further letters regarding this debt we are aware of.

The letter she has sent to BWLegal Says...

I have received advice from Consumer Credit Counselling Service to help solve

my debt problem.

I am in financial difficulties and cannot meet my payments. I will make a

monthly payment of whatever I can afford until more money is available.

I have enclosed my monthly budget and list of creditors. After paying bill I

can pay you X each month and will tell you when my circumstances change.

Please consider reducing or stopping interest during the difficulties.

I am trying to get an Experian Credit Report but it keeps saying "there is a problem." Will try others but I want to post this. What exactly is it I need to know from this report that will help?

Mike.

So let be clear NO payment or written acknowledgment in 6 clear years on this debt?????

The credit report will give you a list of your wife's debts and who currently owns them.

There is a chance that this loan is statue barred or very close to it, it really does depend when the last payment was made. Try and dig out old bank statements etc, anything which will confirm this.

DCA's can get quite agressive when the date is close, cos they lose any legal options and the debtor can just say not paying - statute barred.

If you are having problems with experian try noddle, it's not quite as up to date but it is free.

Good morning one and all.

Wooks, thanks for the Noddle tip. This morning I got a Noddle report and Wife was pleasantly shocked to see she rated 4/5.

Listed under loans are our current mortgage (up to date) and her bank account with Barclays, balance of £0 and solid green for the last 6 years. Nothing else.

There are 4 accounts under closed. One old mortgage (settled) and three that look like shoe shops or something, all with £0 balance.

Nowhere can I see anything else.

Regarding the last payment date, she tells me that she paid by sending a cheque each month. Somewhere in the loft she says she has her old records. Hmmm, I see difficulty in determining this. I have told her to contact her bank urgently to find out. Maybe better by contacting Blair Oliver & Scott.

Regarding Brigadiers query about contact, I can find no letters to her since 2002, she claims to have not contacted them, but she HAS WRITTEN in the last few days, as I said in my last post. Getting info is like blood from a stone. If the last cheque payment of £1 was at the end of 2008 then it was last acknowledged about 5 years ago. But this has to be confirmed.

I have to go to work so I won't be able to reply here until tonight. I hope she gets her finger out and contacts the bank to confirm.

Again, thanks to one and all for any help.

Mike.

Lowell are once again using the BR system as a method of debt collection, before exhausting all others, a breach of OFT Guidance.

Hi Brigadier. Can you advise me where I might find this guidance? Thanks.

Mike.

If theres a clear 6 year period with no payment and written acknowledgement of the account, then the debt is statute barred.

It makes no difference if she wrote a few days ago, once the debt is statute barred, nothing can un-sb it. Not even a judge.

Me again, the bad penny. Long day at work but glad to be back here! :|

Wife has contacted the bank today to try and find out when the last payment was. It's starting to look awkward, the bank have told her that they can't refer to records that far back and she hasn't got the old cheque book stubs to refer to. Also, she has sent a payment of £10 to them with the letter I referred to earlier. I need to know if there is a 6 year gap and the only people who would know would be Blair Oliver and Scott as they were the receivers of the cheques. Letter to them to be written tonight. Any standard letter I should use?

If it's less than 6 years (she thinks she last paid Blair Oliver and Scott near the end of 2008, 5 years ago) and therefore not statute barred what is the next step to prevent them causing full Bankruptcy proceedings? Standing Order for a fixed amount maybe?

Thanks again.

Mike.

OFT Guidance on Debt Collection 2003/2006 updated NOV.2012 section 3.7 (n). (physical/psychological harassment)>

'making undue, excessive or otherwise inappropriate use of statutory demands when pursuing arrears or debts'.

e.g. when a debtor has no realisable assets.

Personally I'd cancel the cheque, she only paid under duress.

I think you need to send a SAR to ascertain the last date payment was made, let them prove the debt is still collectable.

I think it costs £400 to apply for bancruptcy , so they aren't going to do this unless they think they can collect.

You mentioned earlier that she had written saying that she could only pay a proportional amount to each creditor, but at the same time you say her credit file is clear.

Have I missed something or does she have more old debts to deal with.

Evening Wooks and all.

I'm thinking a SAR to Blair Oliver and Scott to get the account of payments made from 2002 to 2008. We still don't know if it's Statute Barred or not. Also a SAR to BWLegal (Lowells) to 1, slow down the proceedings for up to 40 days and hope they haven't the full info. Comments?

Cancelling the cheque. Not sure about this. What if it is not Statute Barred, would this make it look bad in front of any courts?

Regarding old debts, another letter turned up this morning. Sigh, is there no end? This time it's Bryan Carter on behalf of Lowell Financial Ltd on behalf of Fredrikson International. No mention of original debt, £1541.66. Threats of court and solicitor fees and interest "Should proceedings be issued." Just now I have no idea what it is for or how old the debt is. Another SAR. At £10 each I guess it might be cheaper to pay them!

Brigadier, thanks for the OFT guidance. I'll add that to the SAR and see what happens.

Mike.